Elite X3 still worth it in mid 2017

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've seen since serious price drop on the X3 (like $300 plus and minus). I've always loved this phone and have been toying about buying one. But it's it still worth in?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
With the app store support not increasing in any manner I don't think buying a windows phone right now would be apt. Great phone if you aren't worried about apps though.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If you can live with the apps that are on the platform, yes.

App situation will improve due to windows s and windows on arm, but that will take time and be of unknown magnitude.

I'm coming to the win10m family myself (when I get my continually piling bills out of the way), but I'm not spending as much as you would be (I'm just considering a 650, 930 or 4s)

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking so, I ordered one. My Icon has been acting up lately, and I'm ready to move from Verizon, so new phone time. I considered moving to Android, but decided to stay Windows.

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I've seen since serious price drop on the X3 (like $300 plus and minus). I've always loved this phone and have been toying about buying one. But it's it still worth in?

yes! if youre a former Windows Phone fan, then you'll like it. If youre moving over from a different OS, then I wouldn't recommend it.
I just made the move after my Lumia 1520's screen messing up. I'm very happy with it, I'm glad that it was a 6 inch screen like the 1520, and also very sleek looking - quality material. The cosmetics and material of the phone was a big deal for me, especially coming from a beautiful nokia phone.
I really like the finger print sensor in the back. The HP Elite X3 is modern enough to stand out against the 2017 phones.

I tried Android and have an iPhone to play around with, cant stand either. Even if WP is dying, this is a good device to last you til the end!

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I have been using the x3 as my daily driver for the past three months. After some random issues in the initial setup it has been going OK. As someone who has bounced between BlackBerry (in the BBOS and BB10 days) and Windows Mobile over the last 10 years, I felt it might be the last hurrah before switching to iOS or, in all likelihood, Android -- since at least there is still robust MS support on Android and BlackBerry is still making hardware.

I might hang with the x3 until the fall, but not sure yet. One thing is for sure, though: if I decide to dump it and sell it, the resale value wont' be too great it appears.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't waste the money on it. There have been a lot of bootloop and random restart issues on Windows phones recently. You are better off getting an Android or an Apple iPhone. The support for wi does mobile is just too dormant and nascent right now.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Simple answer. Yes. Absolutely worth it. Great phone. Cshell coming. Will support it.

You don't know CShell is coming, none of us do, all past data leans heavily towards the X3 and other current phones being abandoned as soon as the basic obligation runs out like the X30 Lumia series.

He needs to get a different job.

For being realistic? These writers aren't supposed to promote Windows Phone above all else, that's Microsoft's job although there may be some overlap like CBK's KEYone promotion but that's in a fancy league of it's own.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Having just picked up an x3 I would agree with the above. If you're already a windows mobile user and know it's limitations it's a great device. But the Windows land is way behind android and iOS.

paschott

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If you can get a decent deal and are already a WM/WP user it's not a bad device. My main gripes are no camera button and the shutter volume being really hard to change/turn off. You can't fix the camera button, but with some work you can disable the shutter sounds. Can't do much about the app situation. While there's a chance that we could see CShell, the track record for MS w/ devices since WP7 has been pretty pathetic. Support has regularly been dropped for existing devices with the next OS release.

Still, it's a pretty good device for my use patterns.

devsteveo

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Just wondering, how's the phone with the latest updates and firmware? Any major bugs? I can get one for a relatively good price, but still weighing the pros and cons. Cheers.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Having just picked up an x3 I would agree with the above. If you're already a windows mobile user and know it's limitations it's a great device. But the Windows land is way behind android and iOS.
I have Android now for the last 1 plus. But I'm an avid WM supporter. I've had every flagship WP except this one and the 950XL (though I had a 950). So I know where the OS is. I'd still keep my Android device.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If you can get a decent deal and are already a WM/WP user it's not a bad device. My main gripes are no camera button and the shutter volume being really hard to change/turn off. You can't fix the camera button, but with some work you can disable the shutter sounds. Can't do much about the app situation. While there's a chance that we could see CShell, the track record for MS w/ devices since WP7 has been pretty pathetic. Support has regularly been dropped for existing devices with the next OS release.

Still, it's a pretty good device for my use patterns.
According to threads here, HP support for the x3 is awesome.

stefalopod

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
TLDR: Windows phone may be dying, but there's no adequate replacement for my use case yet.

I'm going for an Elite X3. I'm 7 days from a 950xl/robot lawnmower showdown (lawnmower won) and given the imminent demise of Windows Phone, I just assumed it was time to move on to Android.
This is what I've learned since buying a Galaxy S8+: Android/Samsung seriously fail to understand the ultra mobile phone as PC experience. Also the enormous android app library apparently gives Android/Samsung/ 3d party developers a pass on creating cohesive and fully functional software.
I travel for work and have my 950xl/continuum workflow and kit beautifully tailored for acceptable productivity and lightning fast TSA screening, no laptop required. I figured that two plus years since the announcement of continuum, Android would have a desktop experience too. It doesn't. Android seems to have no desktop like experience, limiting external screen connection to an exact mirror of what you see on your phone display (useless), while Samsung is trying to sell a giant softball sized desktop dock called Dex (requiring you to pack additional HDMI and power cables) to do what Windows phone can do with widi/miracast enabled devices unteathered and without additional peripherals.
Assuming the second screen I want to use doesn't have widi, I can use a Microsoft wireless display adapter to run Continuum for about the equivalent luggage space of a couple of match boxes, and no extra cables needed.
I did consider getting the Samsung Dex dock. It supports multiple windows, which is sweet, but on the other hand, it won't allow you to use your phone while it's connected to the dock. Whereas with Continuum you can use your phone as a track pad and keyboard for the second screen (handy if your Bluetooth mouse or keyboard die), because the Galaxy's screen gets disabled, using the dex means that without your external mouse and keyboard you're SOL. But the unforgivable issue for me is that killing the Galaxy screen means you can't take a call on your phone without disconnecting it from the Dex. If you want to take a call you have to dial or accept it using your mouse on the separate screen and use your docked phone as a speaker phone.
Meanwhile I could easily work around the lack of multiple windows in Continuum because I had two separate but connected screens to multitask from - the 950XL screen and the tv or monitor I'm projecting to. For example, I could be negotiating contract terms via email on the 950xl while marking up said contract on the second screen.

I haven't been shopping for a phone since the 950XL launched so I didn't know the Elite X3 existed until about five hours ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's like a 950xl, but with a better battery, a bigger screen, a faster processor, and a finger print reader. And it's cheaper than the S8.

Don't even get me started on the utter uselessness of Android apps for productivity. I'll take the edge browser over Android's enormous app library any day.
My X3 arrives the day after tomorrow

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. IMO, the Continuum vision and W10M are the future of mobile computing (which is why you have Dex and others trying to copy). The problem may have been that MS's was actually too innovative for the current market.

I actually like Android, but keep coming back to W10M. So just yesterday (after at least a month of thinking about it) I decided to get an x3. I'm a phone junkie so I'll probably keep my Android and have the x3 to play with too. I just ordered a new one for $300 off eBay. It doesn't have the display dock but I don't need it for my purposes :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel