Bit the bullet, bought an X3 hoping for VZW support soon!

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm getting bored with my Verizon s8. I still occasionally use my Icon, but the hardware just feels too dated to truly enjoy anymore!! So, hoping that the CDMA bands get unlocked on the current models, I bought a refurb x3! I know the specs aren't as good as my s8, but if this phone is anywhere near a nice as the Idol 4s that I use as a mini tablet on WiFi I will be very happy

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is the bands are already in the phone and just require a firmware update to activate them. I have seen storys that mention changelogs for more current firmware releases that support this as well.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is the bands are already in the phone and just require a firmware update to activate them. I have seen storys that mention changelogs for more current firmware releases that support this as well.

I have read that as well, PLUS neither HP nor Microsoft previously sought - and paid for - Certification on Verizon. The questions is "were those reports correct"?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, the plot thickens ... Microsoft store in the US is running a $300 discount

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...bundle-unlocked%2F8wr4klx6m5gt&token=CSJsBM4L

I called my Microsoft store and they said the "discount was July 14 to August 14 - OR UNTIL SUPPLIES LAST!!!"

This is generally a sign of a NEW MODEL coming soon!

I sure hope that SOMEBODY "can confirm" whether or not the EXISTING HP Elite x3 models CAN BE "firmware upgraded and the Verizon LTE 13 and CDMA radios ARE ONBOARD???

A $300 saving is a great deal!

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by dksf42
Well, the plot thickens ... Microsoft store in the US is running a $300 discount

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...bundle-unlocked%2F8wr4klx6m5gt&token=qACTIjey

I called my Microsoft store and they said the "discount was July 14 to August 14 - OR UNTIL SUPPLIES LAST!!!"

I sure hope that SOMEBODY "can confirm" whether or not the EXISTING HP Elite x3 models CAN BE "firmware upgraded and the Verizon LTE 13 and CDMA radios ARE ONBOARD???

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by dksf42

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...bundle-unlocked%2F8wr4klx6m5gt&token=GDPmSrco

I got my refurb x3 in the mail today, I put my Verizon SIM in and can confirm that it momentarily connects to the network and shows signal before turning back off and showing no signal. If this is like the Google Pixel, all of those devices, even not sold by Verizon, worked on the network as the device itself was certified and approved.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I watched the latest Daniel Rubino and Zac Bowden podcast (video live stream on YouTube) yesterday - not yet posted - and the second segment was about the Elite x3 https://www.windowscentral.com/podcast

WELL, Dan has a Elite x3 that he ALSO tried inserting a Verizon SIM and his ALSO "connected for about 2 minutes and then dropped".

SO ... it appears that the "CDMA radio IS on-board the EXISTING MODEL" BUT NEEDS a "firmware upgrade" to operate on the Verizon Network. (we all have read that Verizon "currently and historically separates" the CDMA for "voice" and the LTE Band 13 for "Data" traffic.

Once again, CAN the LTE Band 13 radio be enabled because it is also onboard existing units in the wild?

NOW, the $64,000 question IS ... WILL Verizon "allow activation and firmware upgrade to EXISTING HP Elite x3's - OR - REQUIRE PURCHASE of a new HP Elite x3?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I watched the latest Daniel Rubino and Zac Bowden podcast (video live stream on YouTube) yesterday - not yet posted - and the second segment was about the Elite x3 https://www.windowscentral.com/podcast

WELL, Dan has a Elite x3 that he ALSO tried inserting a Verizon SIM and his ALSO "connected for about 2 minutes and then dropped".

SO ... it appears that the "CDMA radio IS on-board the EXISTING MODEL" BUT NEEDS a "firmware upgrade" to operate on the Verizon Network. (we all have read that Verizon "currently and historically separates" the CDMA for "voice" and the LTE Band 13 for "Data" traffic.

Once again, CAN the LTE Band 13 radio be enabled because it is also onboard existing units in the wild?

NOW, the $64,000 question IS ... WILL Verizon "allow activation and firmware upgrade to EXISTING HP Elite x3's - OR - REQUIRE PURCHASE of a new HP Elite x3?

Great info dksf42! Based on the info that has been released, it looks like the Verizon "version" may be an entirely different model based on the fact it was submitted with a specific model number with a V at the end. HSTNH-F606 is the model number for the current Elite X3 and HSTNH-F606v is the model number that was submitted for the Verizon version.

Best guess is that HP is manufacturing a specific lot of devices with specific firmware and within a certain range of IMEI numbers that can only be activated on Verizon's network.

The hopeless optimist in me is hoping that Verizon made some demands on upping the specs on their specific model number (especially in the camera department.) While they are notorious for being slower to release phones already available on other networks, in several instances Verizon is also known for requesting their version be different, and or enhanced over the original version. Fingers crossed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Great info dksf42! Based on the info that has been released, it looks like the Verizon "version" may be an entirely different model based on the fact it was submitted with a specific model number with a V at the end. HSTNH-F606 is the model number for the current Elite X3 and HSTNH-F606v is the model number that was submitted for the Verizon version.

Best guess is that HP is manufacturing a specific lot of devices with specific firmware and within a certain range of IMEI numbers that can only be activated on Verizon's network.

The hopeless optimist in me is hoping that Verizon made some demands on upping the specs on their specific model number (especially in the camera department.) While they are notorious for being slower to release phones already available on other networks, in several instances Verizon is also known for requesting their version be different, and or enhanced over the original version. Fingers crossed.
Regardless of IMEI range, Verizon phones are sold unlocked per an agreement with the FCC some years ago. They sold their souls to the devil and now they're feeling their eyebrows singed.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the insight PuckCowboy ... while I hope that "EXISTING" HP Elite x3 smartphones CAN BE "firmware upgraded" to work on the Verizon network, Verizon has just ALWAYS liked to screw customers over with separate models.

Personally, I was "hoping" that HP had the "brass" to ONLY SELL DIRECT as the long ago "700 Mhz C Block FCC auction" REQUIRES Verizon to allow Certified devices "open access"!!!

Just LOOK at all of the "new devices Certified in the last 30 days" - kinda says that Microsoft had "NO BALLS" to advanced Windows 10 Mobile ... I glanced over the "Certification process" and it sure doesn't look that formidable!

So much for Satya Nadella's "Cloud First, MOBILE First strategy" = VERY disappointing !!!

https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/content/opendevelopment/English/device-showcase.html

Microsoft has, for some time now, been reported gearing up for eSIM technology and "reportedly" has viewed an MVNO entry. I just wish that HP would just do this themselves!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12