Less than 6 months on 'new' 1520

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Had my new unopened 1520 for about 6 months - lucky to find one. This evening the capacitive buttons stopped responding, and had a huge amount of rapid phantom touch. Did the mild dual-press thing I've seen around. No change. WDRT recovery and the capacitive buttons started to work making me think it was a software issue but there's a dead zone on the lower left side - cant type Q, A, left shift or Z. Then the psychotic phantom tap episode began again, capacitive buttons went out again.

I looked on how to replace only the digitizer but that seems too complicated.

The dream is probably over.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've heard that putting a case on the phone actually helps to rectify the issue. As far as I can tell, the phantom touch is caused by micro-bending that causes the digitizer to press against and react with the display/glass screen. Using a case helps keep the phone flat. Such a large phone, and so much plastic, it kind of makes sense (as unfortunate as it is).

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Phantom touches are usually caused by screen flex.
The 1520 is to big to carry in a pocket.
Search for ' phantom ' in the 1520 forum. First post was in Jan, 2014.

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm very familiar with phantom touch and all the nuances of the 1520. I upgraded to a 1520 from an 830, 925 and 8x, so I'm a WP veteran. This was just a rant because I'm one of those people who take care of their stuff, never flexed it, never even dropped it and it went bad. Ticks me off when things break.

I am going to get a replacement screen and digitizer. Just annoyed!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The build on the 1520 is unique...it is similar to the 830 in it's design. Wonder if the design of the screen itself has anything to do with it. I believe it is mounted upside down too. You can see a registry entry under HKLM\System\ControlSet001\services\Nokia_panel\Parameters\Settings there is a key there set to 1. Not sure if any of that or knowing that matters. However I still have no clue how to correct it (phantom touch). I have replaced a screen that was cracked that had no "phantom touch issues" and then all of sudden I started to notice it. It does not happen right away though. It creeps up as if the phone heats up or builds up a static discharge, and I have noticed it seems mostly to happen after I unlock the phone.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Yikes! It's sad to hear about yet another one of these suffering with that problem! Thankfully, I never sit on mine, do not keep it in skinny jeans, and have a case on it.

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, quick update. I purchased a replacement screen (couldn't find an OEM, the one I purchased had black tape over the Nokia label, so its counterfeit) and installed. The replacement wasn't difficult - which was surprising. It would have been if it just chose to replace the digitizer only...

However, the replacement screen was horrible - upper left 1/8 of the screen was super dull... Then after warming up for a few minutes, sitting on the table, without touching it, it flipped out with phantom touch symptom again for about 10 seconds, then stopped responding to all touch input. Now the seller wants to give me $25 credit for the $66 I spent saying they tested it before they shipped it. NOPE.

Here's the kicker - The phone I purchased 6 months ago was labeled '100% New, never opened, never used' and after taking the cover off it was clear I was sold a repaired unit. Battery Tape removed, back cover adhesive peeling and WATER INDICATOR TRIPPED. So, I'm pissed.WP_20170926_12_07_56_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett