What outdoor security cameras are compatible with using Windows*Lumia 640 LTE*as a viewer ?

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
What outdoor security cameras are compatible with using Windows*Lumia 640 LTE*as a viewer ?

Elsewhere I heard that Hikvision cameras work with windows phones, but I wanted to make sure they would work specifically with a Lumia 640 LTE.
A windows store app called "IP CENTCOM" says cameras that use ONVIF should be compatible but when I search online for ONVIF based cameras (like on Amazon) the description will only mention being android and IOS compatible - does that mean there might be SOME cameras that use ONVIF that won't be compatible with a Windows phone ?

I have tried researching this, and it can be confusing trying to be sure which outdoor security cameras are truly compatible with using a Windows phone as a viewer. (We have home WIFI which our phones connect to also, as well as a data plan for when away from home)
My Windows phone is a Nokia Lumia 1520 running Windows*phone 8.1 update
My wife's Windows phone is a Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE running Windows phone 8.1 update 2

I'd like to find an outdoor security camera that:

Is compatible with using*our Windows phones as a viewer
Is priced under $100
Has night vision preferably to at least 50 feet
Has decent reviews so I can feel it will be worth getting

An added bonus would be if it also could be accessed thru a Roku too !

Any suggestions on any such cameras is appreciated !

Gary

pidjones

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
We have Foscam cameras that I view with IPCam Monitor on my 640 and OWLR on Android. Foscam also has their own app for it, but it was flaky. They are not the most reliable (one died yesterday when it got below freezing) and when they are replaced next I will go with a hard-wired system with central switch/DVR. You will also need to reconfigure your router's firewall to see them from outside your LAN. Good luck with the 640. I love mine, but have retired it because my security system, bank, insurance, and brokers do not have Windows access except through web pages.

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply !

I am finding out things are a lot easier compatibility-wise with android, but our windows phones are still fairly new so switching back to android at this time is not an option especially being on a budget.
I did get a camera and then found out I needed a vpn capable router, now (unless I'm mistaken) I'm finding out windows phones vpn option "L2TP over IPsec" requires the vpn router to have a "L2TP over IPsec" server and it seems consumer class vpn routers only have OpenVPN servers which windows phones can't connect to and the business class vpn routers that do have a "L2TP over IPsec" server are way too expensive (over $200 and up) for the average home user on a budget.
I have been asking for help on a ip camera forum but so far the only safe solutions offered were switching to android phones (not an option as I explained above) or getting a very expensive business class router, also not an option being on a budget on social security.
The other options that would work other than what I just mentioned were said to be very unsafe security-wise, and that is either port forwarding or using Hikvision P2P camera viewing service.
I'm going to see about starting a new thread to see if anyone has any solutions other than what I already mentioned.
I'm somewhat tech savvy in general, but ip cameras and VPN is a new area for me and I'm quickly finding out the tech industry does not make it easy when it comes to compatibility options with windows phones.
Thanks again !
Gary

pidjones

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
I don't use VPN. I use a ddns service (there are several free ones) that you run a small program on your PC to feed the IP address to the service, then they give you a URL that you can set up your app to use (like myname.ddns.net). You only need to forward your ports for the cameras outside the router's firewall (read a little on port forwarding). VPNs are to hide things, spoof things (like your location/country). Use them if you are paranoid of big brother. I'm more worried about career criminals breaking into my house, or someone homesteading when we travel.

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't use VPN. I use a ddns service (there are several free ones) that you run a small program on your PC to feed the IP address to the service, then they give you a URL that you can set up your app to use (like myname.ddns.net). You only need to forward your ports for the cameras outside the router's firewall (read a little on port forwarding). VPNs are to hide things, spoof things (like your location/country). Use them if you are paranoid of big brother. I'm more worried about career criminals breaking into my house, or someone homesteading when we travel.

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated !

I can appreciate what you are saying, I am new at network ip cameras and still learning, but from what I read elsewhere the concern is not so much "big brother" spying thru your camera, but hackers using "bots" to troll for openings to hack into people's networks and forwarding ports is supposed to make that very easy. Maybe they are being overly cautious, but they seem convinced port forwarding is like leaving the front door to your network open.

On another forum I read that if VPN is an unworkable option that PPTP is the next best solution, not as secure as VPN, but more secure than port forwarding.

Again, maybe the dangers of port forwarding is being over exaggerated, I don't know for sure since I'm new at some of this network stuff, I guess I just want to lean towards the side of caution to be on the safe side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077