Call number from Bing search does not work anymore

lopezi

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that if I search for a phone number using Edge/Bing/Cortana (say like the local Lowe's or something) and then select 'Call number', it will not launch the phone app and dial the number anymore. This used to work but for some reason at some point stopped (I'm not sure when though).

How to I get this functionality back?

I checked Settings -> Privacy -> Phone Calls and the section "Choose apps that can make phone calls" does not list Edge nor does it list Cortana. Shouldn't they be listed here as well?

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Works for me on wm10 15254.248. When I select the phonenumber (marked in blue text) I get to choose to open with contacts or Skype and then I can call the number. Edge is not listed in that setting for me.

lopezi

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
If you select Skype, is it a Skype call or just a normal phone app call? It used to be able to go right to the phone app and never bring up Skype....that's why I'm confused.

lopezi

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think I figured it out...bizarre for sure. If you select Skype it'll try to call via Skype and won't work if you do not have any Skype credits. I don't want to use Skype, so, if I choose the 'People' app, it'll show the number as an unknown contact and then you need to select the number again in this dialog before it actually initiates the phone call. It was never this way before, a bit of a step backwards if you ask me.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I figured it out...bizarre for sure. If you select Skype it'll try to call via Skype and won't work if you do not have any Skype credits. I don't want to use Skype, so, if I choose the 'People' app, it'll show the number as an unknown contact and then you need to select the number again in this dialog before it actually initiates the phone call. It was never this way before, a bit of a step backwards if you ask me.

Actually when you think about it adds alittle more flexibility as this way you can choose to save the number or not or share it with someone else without tap+hold then copy+paste and send.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss