4th time's a charm

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My father needs a new phone. Actually, his wife needs one and he is giving his L640 to her because she is used to carrying one.

Like many, the idea of getting a phone anywhere but his carrier, was unknown. And when T-Mobile told him they didn't sell a Windows phone any more, he was worried.

So I offered to order an Idol 4S for him since he would have no interest in a used phone or paying the going rates for an HP or L950.

The Microsoft store said out of stock for on-line purchase but said two nearby B&M stores had them. So I ordered one for pickup.

They charged my credit card within seconds but 2 hours later sent an email saying the order was cancelled with no explanation. I went on-line and used MS store AI chat, which was worthless since all it did no matter what you said if the word phone was included you end up with a link to Bx2 or whatever company MS farmed out phone repairs. So I claimed to have a problem with the order of a Surface and was immediately connected to a person. But after 30 minutes of waiting and bouncing between departments with the occasional hang up by MS while waiting, I was told the store didn't really have one.

So, I ordered one to be picked up from the other store. Same story other than not being stupid enough to contact MS support.

Then I saw Alcatel sold them on Amazon and ONE was left. So I put it in my cart but it was gone by the time I checked out.

Eventually I found an eBay store in NY that had bought up a bunch of T-Mobile 4Ss in sealed boxes and was selling them for $119.

That was about when my CC company wanted to know if it was really me buying so many phones!

Anyway, in the end the 4th time wasn't just a charm it was also about $60 cheaper due to lower price, no tax and free shipping.

But what's with the MS store taking orders for non-existent product and having such horrible customer service?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My father needs a new phone. Actually, his wife needs one and he is giving his L640 to her because she is used to carrying one.

Like many, the idea of getting a phone anywhere but his carrier, was unknown. And when T-Mobile told him they didn't sell a Windows phone any more, he was worried.

So I offered to order an Idol 4S for him since he would have no interest in a used phone or paying the going rates for an HP or L950.

The Microsoft store said out of stock for on-line purchase but said two nearby B&M stores had them. So I ordered one for pickup.

They charged my credit card within seconds but 2 hours later sent an email saying the order was cancelled with no explanation. I went on-line and used MS store AI chat, which was worthless since all it did no matter what you said if the word phone was included you end up with a link to Bx2 or whatever company MS farmed out phone repairs. So I claimed to have a problem with the order of a Surface and was immediately connected to a person. But after 30 minutes of waiting and bouncing between departments with the occasional hang up by MS while waiting, I was told the store didn't really have one.

So, I ordered one to be picked up from the other store. Same story other than not being stupid enough to contact MS support.

Then I saw Alcatel sold them on Amazon and ONE was left. So I put it in my cart but it was gone by the time I checked out.

Eventually I found an eBay store in NY that had bought up a bunch of T-Mobile 4Ss in sealed boxes and was selling them for $119.

That was about when my CC company wanted to know if it was really me buying so many phones!

Anyway, in the end the 4th time wasn't just a charm it was also about $60 cheaper due to lower price, no tax and free shipping.

But what's with the MS store taking orders for non-existent product and having such horrible customer service?

Wow I'm sorry that you had this terrible experience. It's crazy that it took you so many attempts to get this.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The phone arrived today. The T-Mobile box looked pristine but the seal had been broken. The contents appeared new, no fingerprints, the front and back overlays in place and perfectly aligned. All the extras, charger base, charger cable, etc all in their factory labeled sealed bags.

But when turned on, instead of the usual setup routine, it booted into Windows and straight to a screen to enter an unlock code for T-Mobile, saying 3 attempts remaining. And the phone showed it had cellular data service, so I checked and there is a SIM in it labeled AirVoice 4FF.

It was listed in eBay as new from a high volume, highly rated store. The listing said 4x available.

Thoughts?

The store told me the full T-Mobile warranty applied in addition to the store's own but now I'm skeptical.

Isn't there a way to show the in-service date? And hours of use? I recall being able to get that for a Lumia I had but don't remember how.

Any ideas on how to independently verify the T-Mobile warranty?

Not getting my head around someone somehow using this T-Mobile locked phone with a different carrier and with those clear overlays on front and back OR taking a lot of time to make them look like they had never been off yet not doing a reset and leaving a SIM in it ?!?

Looks like I may be needing to update the charm count in the thread title. :(

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a pristine unlocked Idol 4S that I got during the fire sale. Let me know if you want it. I am trying to whittle down my phone collection (again).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a pristine unlocked Idol 4S that I got during the fire sale. Let me know if you want it. I am trying to whittle down my phone collection (again).
This is weird. This morning Libra's post and my previous 2 posts had disappeared.

So, I just created a separate thread about how to find a phone's history.

Now I see the missing posts are back, as well as yours.

Anyway. my father wasn't interested in a used phone but will check with you if I can't get a new one for him. Is yours a T-Mobile or the generic unlocked? Personally, I'd prefer the unlocked, but T-Mobile might be better for him because he would get frustrated if he had a question and called T-Mobile and they told him they couldn't help because it's not one of "their" phones.

Update: I just remembered I have a T-Mobile 4S as a backup for my wife's unlocked 4S.

If I can talk him into buying that for whatever you want for yours, I will buy yours to replace her backup.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This is weird. This morning Libra's post and my previous 2 posts had disappeared.

So, I just created a separate thread about how to find a phone's history.

Now I see the missing posts are back, as well as yours.

Anyway. my father wasn't interested in a used phone but will check with you if I can't get a new one for him. Is yours a T-Mobile or the generic unlocked? Personally, I'd prefer the unlocked, but T-Mobile might be better for him because he would get frustrated if he had a question and called T-Mobile and they told him they couldn't help because it's not one of "their" phones.

Update: I just remembered I have a T-Mobile 4S as a backup for my wife's unlocked 4S.

If I can talk him into buying that for whatever you want for yours, I will buy yours to replace her backup.
Mine is factory unlocked. Still has plastic on back. Accessories are unused in the box. I put on a tempered glass screen protector out of the box. I have a case and an extra screen protector as well.

PM me and we can work out the price details.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'm still at try number 4 or 4.5 or 5.

The seller has been very open and responsive. They are shipping me another phone before they get this one back, that will be in a SEALED Alcatel box. They are also issuing a small refund for my trouble.

They were able to explain the mystery SIM in the phone. They say they bought all of the 4s phones as new from T-Mobile but a few apparently were open box. If a box wasn't sealed, they turn the phone on and look for signs of use and also put a non-T-Mobile SIM in. I guess that makes sense; I bought a supposedly new digital point and shoot from Best Buy decades ago and found x-rated pictures in it. Never did figure out who was in them for blackmail purposes. ;)

Anyway, they surmise the tester got interrupted or the SIM wouldn't still be in it and it wouldn't have gone back with the sealed boxes. That story also explains why the SIM I found in the phone had the contacts almost worn off as if it had been used in many many phones of all the brands and conditions they sell.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if I'm still at try number 4 or 4.5 or 5.

The seller has been very open and responsive. They are shipping me another phone before they get this one back, that will be in a SEALED Alcatel box. They are also issuing a small refund for my trouble.

They were able to explain the mystery SIM in the phone. They say they bought all of the 4s phones as new from T-Mobile but a few apparently were open box. If a box wasn't sealed, they turn the phone on and look for signs of use and also put a non-T-Mobile SIM in. I guess that makes sense; I bought a supposedly new digital point and shoot from Best Buy decades ago and found x-rated pictures in it. Never did figure out who was in them for blackmail purposes. ;)

Anyway, they surmise the tester got interrupted or the SIM wouldn't still be in it and it wouldn't have gone back with the sealed boxes. That story also explains why the SIM I found in the phone had the contacts almost worn off as if it had been used in many many phones of all the brands and conditions they sell.

Oh that's good. Let us know how this goes for you. Hopefully it actually works out for you now.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Wow I'm sorry that you had this terrible experience. It's crazy that it took you so many attempts to get this.

More than 4 days later, both nearby stores still show the phone is available on the Microsoft store site when they are not.

Pretty disgusting. I wonder how many other people have been (and will be) put thru this? Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't had any since Christmas time.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
More than 4 days later, both nearby stores still show the phone is available on the Microsoft store site when they are not.

Pretty disgusting. I wonder how many other people have been (and will be) put thru this? Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't had any since Christmas time.
Ordered mine on Jan 10, and it arrived a day later.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The replacement (in sealed box) arrived today. Just about have it set up for my father.

Only thing left is figuring out how to restore his camera roll from his OneDrive to the camera roll in the phone. Apparently the Photos and OneDrive apps can't do it. I could download them all to my PC and then drag/drop them onto his new phone over USB. But USB transfer to phone is horrendously slow and prone to corruption based on past experience uploading hundreds of wallpapers that way. But since I'm going to buy and install an SD card I might as well wait until that's done.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The replacement (in sealed box) arrived today. Just about have it set up for my father.

Only thing left is figuring out how to restore his camera roll from his OneDrive to the camera roll in the phone. Apparently the Photos and OneDrive apps can't do it. I could download them all to my PC and then drag/drop them onto his new phone over USB. But USB transfer to phone is horrendously slow and prone to corruption based on past experience uploading hundreds of wallpapers that way. But since I'm going to buy and install an SD card I might as well wait until that's done.

I'm glad that the replacement worked out! I hope your father enjoys his new phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that the replacement worked out! I hope your father enjoys his new phone.
Thanks. I won't know until April 9th. The replacement didn't make it until after he left on a cruise. I can't imagine him not liking it better than his L640 unless glance is more important than everything else combined.

And for some reason I was thinking these had 32GB. But with 64GB there is still lots of room after putting all his music on the phone. So no need for an SD card. And my memory was right; it took 2 hours to copy the music over USB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett