How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

"Most people have no clue what so ever what OS they have on their phones. When people see my phone I tell them it's a Microsoft Phone and it's running Windows mobile they have no clue wtf I'm talking about."

That's because most people are not OS geeks. Windows phone users sound like Linux fans. Always talking about how great the OS is. "Linux is such a great OS. Why are you still running Windoze?"

Yawn.

No one buys ANYTHING - a PC, a phone, tablet, whatever - to run an OS. They buy it to run the apps they need/want to run. They would buy it even if it was running CP/M and GEM, as long as they could do everything they wanted to do on it.

Only OS geeks brag about the OS they are running, trying to impress other OS geeks. The rest of the world will have no clue what you are yammering on about. Nor will they care. We just want to watch a movie, check our email and maybe order a pizza.

Its like a bunch of gear heads arguing about Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/whatever, and which tires are the best, and compression ratios, and 4 barrel carburetors vs fuel injection. And on and on. Meanwhile, the rest of us just want to drive to the restaurant to get a pizza and a beer.

To most people, a phone (or a car) is just a means to an end. It is not a way of life. Those who let the nitty gritty details become their life are OS geeks (or gear heads).

Not that there is anything wrong with either. The world needs both OS geeks and gear heads. Just don't expect others to share your passion for YOUR OS or YOUR carburetor. Expect eyes to glaze over when either comes up in the conversation over the pizza and beer.

This may be the most enlightening post I’ve read in a long time. People here should read it, twice, thrice and really absorb what you said. They won’t though because it’s common sense and negates their fantasy world.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

This may be the most enlightening post I’ve read in a long time. People here should read it, twice, thrice and really absorb what you said. They won’t though because it’s common sense and negates their fantasy world.
It's a moot point since everybody knows Ford is better. Other than that, I agree it's a good read.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

Well it might be somewhat self-evident to many I think, but tech people tend to lean into the systemizing (things, systems, mechanics, details), and less on the social side.

There's always been some dude who wants to explain what makes his camera model special, and always been some hapless witness who just wants to get the heck out of their. They are both valid ways of looking at the world, but people in one camp tends to misunderstand the world of the other. And vice versa. To non-technical people it's all French.

I always say this to people who say "people use the best system possible", and I'm like, no they don't. They use the thing their freinds are using, or ads market to them, or the thing they guess, from a distance, or past experience won't be total arse. Most people don't try every system. They try one thing, and if it doesn't totally suck, and their freinds don't ridicule them for using it, they'll stick to it - basically if it has any value at all, not whether it has the best value period. Consumers aren't fastidious and courageous experimenters. A very small percentage of the population is experimental, probably often the people who either pioneer the take up of a mainstream trend, or those who choose the thing that fails, lol.

Market forces only act a little bit like evolution - sometimes they select the objectively inferior product. But that way of thinking, that tech markets are a super refined version of evolution, is a very systemizing mindset. It's not a social mindset. And you see it a lot in discussions of mobile technology.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

It's a moot point since everybody knows Ford is better. Other than that, I agree it's a good read.

Hey now... I own a Ford, a Chrysler, and a Volkswagen. I'll take the GM any day!

Martin Plamondon

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I still use mine for continuum when at work, but use an android device when I'm out because I've gotten used to the convenience of android pay.

Hopefully Microsoft will figure out a mobile payment platform with whatever ultra mobile play they roll out this year.

The Wallet or whatever it is called on Windows 10 Mobile is available only in the US, I wanted to use mobile payment but no way to set this up outside USA, and I'm in Canada which usually not so far off on Microsoft features unlike the rest of the world which have much less MS features.

WinCoder

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I am always surprised at how positive everyone is when they see the Windows phone. They all ask to look at it and when I show them some of my favorite things about the phone, they invariably say "cool, that is really helpful"... Being a developer of apps, my phone is also set up with several apps that do not exist on either other platform and usually impress.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Well it might be somewhat self-evident to many I think, but tech people tend to lean into the systemizing (things, systems, mechanics, details), and less on the social side.

There's always been some dude who wants to explain what makes his camera model special, and always been some hapless witness who just wants to get the heck out of their. They are both valid ways of looking at the world, but people in one camp tends to misunderstand the world of the other. And vice versa. To non-technical people it's all French.

I always say this to people who say "people use the best system possible", and I'm like, no they don't. They use the thing their freinds are using, or ads market to them, or the thing they guess, from a distance, or past experience won't be total arse. Most people don't try every system. They try one thing, and if it doesn't totally suck, and their freinds don't ridicule them for using it, they'll stick to it - basically if it has any value at all, not whether it has the best value period. Consumers aren't fastidious and courageous experimenters. A very small percentage of the population is experimental, probably often the people who either pioneer the take up of a mainstream trend, or those who choose the thing that fails, lol.

Market forces only act a little bit like evolution - sometimes they select the objectively inferior product. But that way of thinking, that tech markets are a super refined version of evolution, is a very systemizing mindset. It's not a social mindset. And you see it a lot in discussions of mobile technology.

But that’s like saying people should only eat at the “best” restaurant, or drive the “best” car. Who even knows what that is?
They like familiarity, excellent customer service and of course good value. They don’t need supposed experts telling them what they should buy.
Does marketing and advertising persuade people? Of course you t does, but then you had better live up to your promises. If Apple is going to tout great customer service, they had better do it so they have stores throughout the world with people that can help you pick out a phone or get it fixed if it’s broken. If they claim they are secure, they better be secure. That’s what people want, not some tech geeks recommendation because it has continuum, which most people don’t care about.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am always surprised at how positive everyone is when they see the Windows phone. They all ask to look at it and when I show them some of my favorite things about the phone, they invariably say "cool, that is really helpful"... Being a developer of apps, my phone is also set up with several apps that do not exist on either other platform and usually impress.

But yet they don’t buy them, or at least not enough of them to save it.
I too showed people my Windows phones. Where did it get us? That’s when you have to start asking the serious questions.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed over the years that Windows phones are concentrated in pockets of users. Since MS never really pushed the platform, it has always been up to us users to be the champions. As we showed our friends how much better our phones were, some of them switched. I have not found many people who didn't like our phones, most often they just knew nothing about them, and are almost always amazed at the capabilities. There are about 15 Windows phones in my peer group, and getting converts is much tougher, now that production is so limited. I can't wait until Andromeda / win32 mobile devices come out, as my 950XL is ready to retire. I don't care what MS decides to call them, but they need to come up with some form of marketing strategy, as their history with naming has been terrible (e.g. people heard that Windows Phones were dead, but it was just a naming issue, as the old Windows Phones (WP7/8) were just renamed Windows 10 mobile when the OS technology updated. They created panic when none was warranted.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why everyone uses inferior phones such as Android and iPhone.😀

There is a book "The Madness of Crowds and Other Popular Delusions" that trys to explain the herd mentality. It's about marketing, to the lowest common denominator, I think. Microsoft isn't good at any kind of marketing.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Very nicely said. (I was sad to see such a good comment was hiding behind anonymity.)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed over the years that Windows phones are concentrated in pockets of users. Since MS never really pushed the platform, it has always been up to us users to be the champions. As we showed our friends how much better our phones were, some of them switched. I have not found many people who didn't like our phones, most often they just knew nothing about them, and are almost always amazed at the capabilities. There are about 15 Windows phones in my peer group, and getting converts is much tougher, now that production is so limited. I can't wait until Andromeda / win32 mobile devices come out, as my 950XL is ready to retire. I don't care what MS decides to call them, but they need to come up with some form of marketing strategy, as their history with naming has been terrible (e.g. people heard that Windows Phones were dead, but it was just a naming issue, as the old Windows Phones (WP7/8) were just renamed Windows 10 mobile when the OS technology updated. They created panic when none was warranted.
I like your comment. So true.
Let's continue to support what we like. Every vote counts, when we live in a world that counts"votes".

Lordtree

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It is funny that most people didn't know they could have gotten one and some wanted other options rather than the ubiquitous two other OSes. They are surprised i got to use the 20mp camera, low light, NFC, iq charging, and continuum already 3 years ago while those features are just available through Samsung and iPhone at a very elevated price tag and only recently. Nadella messed up a real revolution of the masses with real presence of MS not just in the cloud but in everybody's pocket and specially in developing economies. The PC in every home of MS now in the mobile space. A real shame and waste of resources as well a lost opportunity... A real shame.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm seen as a dinosaur. Kind of left out with a few things.

With that said, there's a few things that piques people's interest, namely that there are a lot of nice features available out of the box on windows phones. Camera quality is one, which we all know. Something like the bing lock screen pictures that change every day. It's awesome, and people do notice it.

Also, some of the third party apps with 'dodgy' features come in handy.

But with that said, it's rather annoying that the existing apps have lost all support. I'd really like for instagram to be improved, but I doubt that's coming at all. It's quite buggy, has lots of issues, and missing lots of features. The Windows 10 version appears to work quite well and is up to date.

MisterGT

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I'm more so the person that reacts when I see someone with a Windows Phone.

I say: "Oh you have a Windows phone!"

Then, I think to myself: "Oh, you're an oddball like me. Either that...or a Microsoft employee, and even they don't use Windows phones anymore."

I'm disappointed that Microsoft ditched 2 potentially great products. First, the Microsoft Band. Then, Windows Phones.

I own the Nokia 1020, love its features, especially its camera. But now, I wonder how long do I have before I get completely frustrated with not being able to use any major app on the phone, because its closed-source and no developers will support it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo