Got updated to current Windows 10 mobile and have Hey Cortana working

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I am not a super tech guy but I am a devoted Windows 10 mobile kind of guy. I have ben using a ICON for awhile now and wanted to try the ATIV SE and see how it compared (that is currently ongoing). Needless to say it took a couple of try's to get it to update and had to reset to 8.1 twice and start over, but I have the basic steps down and wanted to share if anyone had interest. I will try posting a couple of pictures but not real familiar with doing that so we will see how that goes. So if anyone has any interest or questions let me know... Ok, so I have only ben able to upload 1 picture, not sure what the problem is (figured it out, pictures where to big)…

ATIV SE 1.jpg
ATIV SE 2.jpg
ATIV SE 3.jpg

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see that you were successful. The Ativ SE is one of my favorites (still have my Galaxy S4 too). I've read posts about getting WM10 on the SE but was under the impression it wasn't possible anymore. How difficult was it? Was there a particular guide that you followed? My biggest obstacle is my own patience.

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Didn't follow any guide, but it was pretty much just doing the OTC (over the cable) update to WIN10 mobile and then installing the Interop Tool so I could change the registry. The problem is with the updateOEM file (might not being using the exact terminology), but that file is what apparently stops allowing updating. After rewriting it from a file I found online I was able to update to the current version. If you want I can see if I could put some instructions together...

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I may experiment one of theses day. I appreciate your time; don't go to the trouble unless you think there's enough interest for the effort. Having said that, just plugging it in using the OTC route gave you the option to update to WM10?

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No you actually need to download the WIN10 package and then use the IUTool to update it. It is pretty easy and I have downloaded all those packages. So if you have a had time finding them let me know and I will see if I can get them to you...

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I really appreciate the offer. That is very kind. Perhaps later next week when I actually have a few days off of work....if your time permits. I should also power up my old Ativ SE to make sure it works.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Not on Verizon, but awesome to see that your on windows 10 with a Samsung ATIVSE. Wish I could put Win10 mobile on my work S8 phone, great hardware and display, I am running the Microsoft launcher, outlook, cortona, edge and excel and storing on one drive. Making the best of it butt I only use widows lumia phones for my personal lines and really like windows phones.

chri360936

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in doing this to my ATIV SE also. Through a lot of trial and error I have managaed to update to 15063.297 but can't get past the update error. I understand the process to correct this error by replacing the corrupted file, but i can't get my ATIV SE system files unlocked.

Any help or guidance would be very appreciated.

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Haven't messed with the stuff in while, but when I get to work tomorrow. Where I have the phone I will look up my notes and files and see what info I can get to you. I still have the phone (Verizon network) that is updated and not using it, so if you want to buy you can go that route as well.

chri360936

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. I have an ATIV SE already so not looking to buy. I just can't figure out how to unlock the system files so I can fix the corrupted file. I feel like I'm not doing something right with Interop tools but can't figure out what. I read things about using vcreg before using interop tools and installing dependencies and such. I get the interop tools working fine for reg edits but not the unlocking.

I appreciate the response and any help you can give. It isn't my daily phone but I still use it at home and would like to keep it updated if I can.

Chris

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Just to let you know, I have moved on from my windows phones. But just got out the ATIV SE that I still have and did an update to it and it is currently at 10.0.15254.547. I am guessing that that is the most resent update for WIN10 mobile. If you want to me to try to downgrade and then upgrade the phone I can do that. But if you install the InteropTool 2.0.79.0, you should be able to unlock the phone. There are a couple of steps to go through and I can try documenting it if you want... Just let me know.
wp_ss_20190211_0001.jpg

chri360936

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
If you don't mind documenting the steps to get the interop tools working I'd appreciate it. From the steps to install of the tools to.using it to unlock the files. That's the sticking point I think. I can't get it to work to unlock the phone. I'm using the most recent version from the store but the slider to unlock full filesystem access won't turn on. I have to be missing a step somewhere.

Thanks again

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok, going through the process right now. Took it back to 8.1 and starting the update. Getting ready to install 10.0.14393.1066. I will update you on how it goes...

Matthew Carr

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Didn't have my phone set to the correct FAKE settings, hard reset correct settings and the unlock again... Hopefully will have it in a bit...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss