Updating Lumia 640

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Greetings, I'm attempting to update my old 640 to use when recreating. (its the smallest, lightest working phone I currently have) Last build was Insiders preview fast ring 1703 10.0.15230 from 2017. I upgraded to a 950 phone later in 2017 because the 640 stopped taking updates mainly due to storage issues. (not enough. After deleting apps and files I'm currently at 6.35GB used of 7.28 GB). Likewise, all my apps are circa 2017 and they don't seem to update either- when I go to the Microsoft Store there are 15 pending, but they never do download and install. When I check for updates, it says I have the latest version (which of course is not true!)

So is there any way to try to install the latest public update? And hopefully it fixes the Store problem of updating apps.
I'm probably okay with a factory reset if that will do it.

TIA

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
well since I hadn't seen a response, I decided to reset the phone, since I didn't really care about the previous settings, etc. Seemed to go fine doing the initial setup, but when it was finally done, the only apps I had was Cortana and something else. Even Settings did not work, with the phone asking if should search the Store for that app! Power cycled it, and now the phone doesn't even come back up when powered back on- I'll see the Microsoft logo, followed by the Windows logo for about a minute, and now the screen remains blank. I'll try the Windows Device Recovery Tool to see if that works.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Windows Recovery Tool worked......although it installed W8.1!!:amaze:
At least the phone works and some of the apps appear to work.
(wow, I kind of forgotten what W8.1 looked like)

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
With a stable 8.1 now installed, the OTC Updater worked and installed W10 version 1511 10.010586. Microsoft Store appears to be updating apps.
Progress!

kwarner

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
I hope your experience bodes well for my Lumia 735. It really needs a reset but I'm afraid I'll lose everything. I have a Moto Android ready to go but my old Lumia still works and it is smaller and slimmer than most Android phones out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo