anyone one know if windows rt 8.1 will get the re-designed desktop?

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
looks like the rt preview has the old desktop functionality. i'm really hoping it get the upgrade to the desktop i saw during this morning's presentation.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
it looked like you could run the metro interface on top of the desktop, for example. there were also some changes to how apps loaded so the transition from regular metro to desktop isn't so jarring. this is the stuff ballmer was talking about when he referenced blending metro and the desktop.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. if anything Microsoft is gunning to make the Desktop go away on RT. Once Office is completely metro there goes the primary reason to go to Desktop. There would still be a few stragglers like cmd prompt and some of the accessories, but MS is very close to banishing all legacy from RT.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it. if anything Microsoft is gunning to make the Desktop go away on RT. Once Office is completely metro there goes the primary reason to go to Desktop. There would still be a few stragglers like cmd prompt and some of the accessories, but MS is very close to banishing all legacy from RT.

even better, imo! i'd prefer no desktop at all. i just really don't like how metro and desktop currently work together. they really feel like two completely different and unrelated environments. really fractures the experience of using windows 8.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
it looked like you could run the metro interface on top of the desktop, for example. there were also some changes to how apps loaded so the transition from regular metro to desktop isn't so jarring. this is the stuff ballmer was talking about when he referenced blending metro and the desktop.

You mean changing the Metro background so it has the same one as the desktop? That's what Ballmer was talking about when he said they wanted to make switching between both environments less jarring.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You mean changing the Metro background so it has the same one as the desktop? That's what Ballmer was talking about when he said they wanted to make switching between both environments less jarring.

i'd rather change the desktop background to look like the metro background. one problem i'm having though is that even if i change the metro background to one of the desktop wallpapers, they display differently. in metro, the wallpaper is darker so you can still detect a shift when going back and forth between desktop and metro.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
i'd rather change the desktop background to look like the metro background. one problem i'm having though is that even if i change the metro background to one of the desktop wallpapers, they display differently. in metro, the wallpaper is darker so you can still detect a shift when going back and forth between desktop and metro.

Ya I don't believe there's a way to get the metro background on your desktop.

It darkens the background slightly in the metro environment so it's easier to see the tiles, it really isn't that jarring unless you're super picky about it.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Ya I don't believe there's a way to get the metro background on your desktop.

It darkens the background slightly in the metro environment so it's easier to see the tiles, it really isn't that jarring unless you're super picky about it.

you're right that it's not that jarring, but on the other hand, it's an unnecessary artifact that does disrupt the user experience a little bit. i notice the color shift. it's a little jarring. i'd rather it not be there. i hope they fix it before the full release and i hope that make it so you can put metro backgrounds into the desktop. get rid of unnecessary constraints and sloppy, even if minor, artifacts. who wants reputation for letting this like that slide? that's how i see it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i'm looking to go the other way: make one o the metro backgrounds my desktop wallpaper or background.

I can't find them online, but I'm considering unpinning all of my tiles and screenshotting (and a little shopping) to get it. I think that's the only way, but with a cool affect afterwards!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss