Hugely biased article regarding Windows 8/RT failures

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am just going to assume you are right that they are being bias. I haven't heard of the site and don't feel like giving them hits.

I read a recent article from CNet UK about how Nokia won't be around in a year or two if they don't adopt Android soon, and that they wouldn't be surprised to see a low-end Android Nokia device by the end of the year. Some sites are just determined to see MS fail on both fronts.

Windows 8 will be fine. RT still has an uphill climb, esp. if the new atom processors can perform right along with ARM chips as far as heat and battery life. WP, while I love it, also has an uphill climb but is growing, esp. Nokia's phones.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
They just need more advertising to eliminate the confusion between RT and 8. I think that's where the problem that they're talking about exists, if there is one at all (which I don't believe there is). I just hate how quickly people jump on/off the bandwagon. In this case, just because W8/RT doesnt work for a person, he/she immediately jumps ship and then criticizes W8/RT for not being successful! Even though it is miles ahead of the competition in the eyes of all its users.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, wall of text... I just read to the middle because I lost my motivation. :D I'll just refer to the most important points.

The article is indeed quite pessimistic, yet many points are true! Microsoft did an outstanding gruesome job in marketing according to Windows RT. THIS is their platform to compete with iOS and Android. They did not even nearly enough to tell people about that platform AND didnt cooperate enough with manufacturers. The advantages of the ARM platform arent even closely maxed out. Only the Vivo Tab RT is a blast, since its a great competitor according to its light weight. RT at all failed indeed, but not because it is a bad eco system, but because MS didnt spread the word. They promoted the heck out of Windows 8, but didnt the same for RT. It was absolutely neccessary to do that, because you are bonded to the Windows Store if you purchase a WRT device.

If they studied markets and opinions of ordinary people well enough, they would have known, that the only possible way to sell a still growing eco system (which OF COURSE means it lacks apps!) is to promote the system as much as possible. They did for W8, where there wasnt any neccessarity to do so, because it sells anyway (because its Windows, duh). They should have done it with RT, but didnt. And they should have described the differences between W8 and WRT much more, to defeat the confusion.

People mostly are stupid consumption sheeps, thereby they always reduce an eco system to the app counter of its store. MS should have done much more to show them the benefits of RT.

That also includes devices. The OEMs did a horrible job either, because they have no interest to promote that platform. The RT devices are all mediocre and changeble. Like the most notebooks. None of them has a soul or created a must-have-moment at the customers. So they did their own tablet - Surface, which is definitely more edgy, outstanding and able to compete.

The fact that they made an own device REALLY upset some manufacturers - including Toshiba and especially Acer. Acer lost their sheit on Surface and bashed it (because they feared it and faced their own mediocrity, I'm damned damned shure about that...) and stopped adoption of RT.

You must create a desire in the customers. And if your product has quirks, you have to paper over the cracks with awesomeness. Microsoft left RT on its own devices, with all lacks, troubles and antipathies of people.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That article is not biased at all. All the writer has done is pick every negative point that every other tech writer and analyst has made and stitch it all together in one place.

There is no bias towards any other OS in that article but there isn't a lot of any new information either.

Same negative anti MS press. Move along. Nothing to see here.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think of this article???

What Has Gone Wrong With Windows 8?

I think Windows 8/RT is doing very well, halving the time it took for Apple to reach 100,000 apps in its app store. It just needs time to develop and sink in with the public. People these days judge too quickly...

I have never seen the point of posting a link to an article with which one disagrees. First, it cries out insecurity. Why should you or anyone else care that someone else has a different opinion? Second, you are giving the site hits which generates ad revenue which perpetuates the existence of the site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos