RT or Not to RT

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am a Microsoft Supporter but far from a "******" (see my past posts about the horror show known as XBOX Music.). Since the Surface price cuts, I've had many people ask me if they should get one. I am OK with RT for what it does though it has to live and die by the Microsoft Store and thus far, it hasn't been killer.

We all have opinions but really, does ANYONE have a feeling about RT? I know Paul Thurrott has written off RT and it looks like this site may be too with hints from their Windows 8 article yesterday. Is it going away or is there a long term strategy for it? Do I tell people yes, pick up the Surface now. Do I sell my wife's Surface and get a Lenovo Lynx perhaps?

Thanks...
Brian

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather get the RT than the Pro, or any other Pro-like tablet. It has longer battery life, and I wouldn't need it to do hardcore work, and all the programs that I'd need are available in the Store. Lynx looks like a nice tablet. It has 16h battery life with the keyboard dock, but the price is higher, and it's more powerful, the Windows version is a standard one, not RT.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I think that buying RT over PRO has it's reasons, but I'd recommend buying 2nd gen surface RT, it'll be more future-proof.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
For $350 it's a steal. A full tablet, an app store with plenty of options, Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint, 10 hours of battery, multi-tasking, etc. I'd pick it over an iPad or Android tablet any day and I'm not anti either OS. I use mine every day at work and I go rid of my laptop at home. If I ever run into a situation where my RT can't handle what I do on a daily basis I can resort to my work laptop.

It still gets updates, it'll get 8.1, it still gets apps. If it does what you need today, why not get it?

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Unless it's really necessary to run other desktop applications on-the-go (that isn't Office) and other demanding tasks, I would get a Surface RT. The new price is a good steal.

As for if the OS will be dead... I'm not sure. I think most people don't know the difference between RT and the regular/pro editions of W8 and it adds more complications to them on why they should get Windows 8.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Unless it's really necessary to run other desktop applications on-the-go (that isn't Office) and other demanding tasks, I would get a Surface RT. The new price is a good steal.

As for if the OS will be dead... I'm not sure. I think most people don't know the difference between RT and the regular/pro editions of W8 and it adds more complications to them on why they should get Windows 8.

There are a lot of people out there who just love to see Microsoft stumble. I for one think RT is a long term plan...perhaps to rid of the bloat of the Windows kernel. We just need to see some truly useful apps come out of the Store. I do have a pro but because of battery life, I've been thinking of picking up an RT just for consumption and better battery life.

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If you do I'd wait just a little while, the next Surface RT is just around the corner. I personally don't think a gen-1 Surface RT is quite worth it, WinRT apps already load slowly, they load even slower on that tegra 3.

KingGinger55

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Is RT able to play games like Skyrim from an ISO like regular windows 8 or does that need an X86? I figure it can't just want someone to confirm. Forgive my naivete I'm coming from a long background in android devices.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Is RT able to play games like Skyrim from an ISO like regular windows 8 or does that need an X86? I figure it can't just want someone to confirm. Forgive my naivete I'm coming from a long background in android devices.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

No, RT can only use software (apps) from the Windows Store...The only reason RT has a desktop was that Office for RT wasn't ported to the "Metro/Modern" interface when it was released.

The Surface Pro can run Skyrim...though on low settings...I've played many hours of Skyrim on my Pro and it works rather well!

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I had been concerned that I'm hardly using my Surface RT; then I realized that I'm hardly using my iPad, right now, either. It's cyclic, for me.

Personal opinion: Win RT is currently iffy only because of the apps. There aren't a ton of the marquee apps from other platforms, and some that do exist aren't as functional (Kindle, I'm looking at you). This will change, though. When it does, Win RT will handily beat iOS and Android tablets and will be just fine as the sole device for most folks -- developers and heavy gamers will need the full version, but the typical home user (mom and dad) will be just fine with the cheaper RT machine.

Right now, RT isn't there for most folks. If you need to travel light, watch Netflix, read books bought from the Kindle store, play Angry Birds and Solitaire, have a handful of mid-range games, but still be productive with MS Office, then a Surface holds some promise. If you're much more interested in heavy consumption (fuller featured Kindle, iBooks, more board and mid-range games, etc.) and don't mind the sub-par productivity options of the iWork (or similar) suite, then the iPad is probably your friend. Android might be reasonable, if you like what iOS is selling, but prefer customization at the cost of a bit of functionality -- or just hate Apple.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I had been concerned that I'm hardly using my Surface RT; then I realized that I'm hardly using my iPad, right now, either. It's cyclic, for me.

Personal opinion: Win RT is currently iffy only because of the apps. There aren't a ton of the marquee apps from other platforms, and some that do exist aren't as functional (Kindle, I'm looking at you). This will change, though. When it does, Win RT will handily beat iOS and Android tablets and will be just fine as the sole device for most folks -- developers and heavy gamers will need the full version, but the typical home user (mom and dad) will be just fine with the cheaper RT machine.

Right now, RT isn't there for most folks. If you need to travel light, watch Netflix, read books bought from the Kindle store, play Angry Birds and Solitaire, have a handful of mid-range games, but still be productive with MS Office, then a Surface holds some promise. If you're much more interested in heavy consumption (fuller featured Kindle, iBooks, more board and mid-range games, etc.) and don't mind the sub-par productivity options of the iWork (or similar) suite, then the iPad is probably your friend. Android might be reasonable, if you like what iOS is selling, but prefer customization at the cost of a bit of functionality -- or just hate Apple.

To expand on your post some, I have the Surface Pro and as cool as it is, I sometimes (SOMETIMES), feel like the work I do on it is still suited for a decent laptop and that a Surface RT would be much better for my "consumption." If I sit down to "consume" on the Pro and I've not charged my battery in a while, kind of ruins the sit back and relax option of it also being a tablet. It for sure is a slight conundrum.

I am not an Apple hater but I've just not been drawn to their products except from the "it just works" view...considering the lockups I had with Android and experiencing the "Gears of Death" on my Lumia 920, there are days I wish things would "just work." (though I have to say Windows 8 has been pretty rock solid, even as a desktop OS.)

I've actually thought about adding a Surface RT just for consumption but may wait until RT "2"...

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
To expand on your post some, I have the Surface Pro and as cool as it is, I sometimes (SOMETIMES), feel like the work I do on it is still suited for a decent laptop and that a Surface RT would be much better for my "consumption." If I sit down to "consume" on the Pro and I've not charged my battery in a while, kind of ruins the sit back and relax option of it also being a tablet. It for sure is a slight conundrum.
I originally picked up the Pro and tried it for 60 days (Best Buy Silver member -- yay!). I ended up returning it and getting the RT. I did so because I found myself spending way more time in the RT apps and Office than using the desktop. As awesome as it was to play Civ5 on the Pro, I think I made a good choice. I still miss being able to develop, use Quicken, and play some games on my Surface, but most of that can be done by remote, for the little bit I need. Many of those things generated a ton of heat, which really made me nervous.

Right now, the Surface RT is mainly for lightweight productivity at work or while watching TV. It really excels for taking notes, writing whitepapers, doing research, and stuff like that. I will look at the next gen Pro and decide whether it's a good buy. I suspect I'll want it. I really think even the current Surface Pro is a great buy for anyone who wants a MacBook Air type of device. Ultimately, my workstation was fairly new and I couldn't justify $1,200 on a toy (meaning something I didn't need, not a bad product).

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I originally picked up the Pro and tried it for 60 days (Best Buy Silver member -- yay!). I ended up returning it and getting the RT. I did so because I found myself spending way more time in the RT apps and Office than using the desktop. As awesome as it was to play Civ5 on the Pro, I think I made a good choice. I still miss being able to develop, use Quicken, and play some games on my Surface, but most of that can be done by remote, for the little bit I need. Many of those things generated a ton of heat, which really made me nervous.

Right now, the Surface RT is mainly for lightweight productivity at work or while watching TV. It really excels for taking notes, writing whitepapers, doing research, and stuff like that. I will look at the next gen Pro and decide whether it's a good buy. I suspect I'll want it. I really think even the current Surface Pro is a great buy for anyone who wants a MacBook Air type of device. Ultimately, my workstation was fairly new and I couldn't justify $1,200 on a toy (meaning something I didn't need, not a bad product).

If my workplace hadn't purchased me a Surface Pro, I'd still be on my ASUS 11.6 inch touchscreen laptop. Sure, the screen wasn't the best but that was a darn good machine (sold it when I got my work Surface Pro.)

Tablets are mood devices for me...I mean, just about everything I want to do from the "couch" I can do on my Lumia 928 Windows Phone. Tablets can often feel redundant to me at times. And I often use a laptop from the arm of the couch. Not easy to do with the Surface Pro.

Speaking of heat...I think the heat caused a small but noticeable fracture in the glass. I used it one night and then went to bed. Woke up to a dead battery so I got it on the charger and noticed a small ding in the muddle, about as far across at the edge of your pinky nail. And you can feel it...I didn't drop it at all so I was assuming a run away process kept the Surface Pro on and it got hot until it shut itself off and then cooled down in our 72 degree home. All I know is I didn't do it...called Surface support and just as they were sounding as if they may replace it, they said it would be $469 for a screen replacement. I plan to escalate it one day...not that I am petty or selfish but this seems like a design flaw.

saputraj

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Vaio Duo 11 with i7, but I decided to buy Surface RT after the price drop as I find myself using the Metro apps/games more than the classic ones. RT weights significantly lighter and has better battery life. At the current price point, I agree that it is a steal.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a Vaio Duo 11 with i7, but I decided to buy Surface RT after the price drop as I find myself using the Metro apps/games more than the classic ones. RT weights significantly lighter and has better battery life. At the current price point, I agree that it is a steal.

Heck, I left RT because I felt like I wanted an all in one tablet and my work purchased me a Surface Pro...when I pick up my wife?s Surface RT, I instantly like t he feel of it more than the Pro and love the battery life. Don't get me wrong, the Pro is nice but when I want to do REAL work, I tend to still need a desktop PC or a laptop. Perhaps the tablet market is for more portable apps and people don't want to work on them.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Also don't forget you can jailbreak the RT and gain access to a select number of desktop programs, including anything you can compile yourself.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I think at the current price it's almost a no-brainer. I am not a Surface owner (Lenovo Yoga 11) but I soon realized that RT is not and should not be a replacement for my laptop. The Yoga (and the Surface) to me is the first real "personal" computer, in that I really bring it with me all the time around the house. Plus, when I'm on business trip I think it's the killer device. I get like 10 hours of usage, Office, plus games, movies and books for when I'm on the plane. The battery just never dies.

I think the price and the tag "Windows RT" scared away too many people, and that's sad because there is a lot of value in them.

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I think at the current price it's almost a no-brainer. I am not a Surface owner (Lenovo Yoga 11) but I soon realized that RT is not and should not be a replacement for my laptop. The Yoga (and the Surface) to me is the first real "personal" computer, in that I really bring it with me all the time around the house. Plus, when I'm on business trip I think it's the killer device. I get like 10 hours of usage, Office, plus games, movies and books for when I'm on the plane. The battery just never dies.

I think the price and the tag "Windows RT" scared away too many people, and that's sad because there is a lot of value in them.

It's funny...even though I have a Surface Pro, at the current Surface RT prices, I almost want to pick up one because I DO like the interface and I want good battery life with my tablet. My Pro is pretty much treated as a PC but I often use it without keyboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos