Any workarounds for Domain joining?

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Opps. I meant "Domain" join in the thread title.

There is only one feature I need (well, two) to make this the ultimate device... the ability to join a domain. (The other one is VPN support for Cisco with is another religious war).

Is there ANY workaround for this? Any hack? Any news as to whether this will ever be supported?

Sorry, but the Pro is just not a reasonable option for the price, weight, and battery life. I feel like myself and tons of other Surface RT users are stuck in limbo between the overkill that is the laptop replacement of the Surface Pro and the underwhelming stripped down Surface RT that's missing only a couple of key features.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
If it helps: you can connect to a PC in another domain via remote desktop using your Surface RT...?

I'd also love to see Cisco VPN on RT. :( Its a shame they dont, because many universities use this VPN for their campus network.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
If it helps: you can connect to a PC in another domain via remote desktop using your Surface RT...?

I'd also love to see Cisco VPN on RT. :( Its a shame they dont, because many universities use this VPN for their campus network.
unfortunately the requirement for me to remote desktop is to be connected to the domain directly, or to use VPN if I am connected to internet outside of the company network. Of course, the surface doesn't support neither domain joining nor Cisco vpn.

Team viewer just isn't as good.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Upon further reading, I guess that she did not technically "join" the domain. However, she put the domain name and her password into the dialog box and is able to access company intranet. This is something that couldn't be done with Win 8 RT.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Cool, so I did find out you can specify domain in a user/pass combo. All I need now is Cisco VPN support.

Seriously, I check for news on this every single day. I would say its probably one of the most requested features outside of generic app requests.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre