Edit: Opps. I meant "Domain" join in the thread title.

There is only one feature I need (well, two) to make this the ultimate device... the ability to join a domain. (The other one is VPN support for Cisco with is another religious war).

Is there ANY workaround for this? Any hack? Any news as to whether this will ever be supported?

Sorry, but the Pro is just not a reasonable option for the price, weight, and battery life. I feel like myself and tons of other Surface RT users are stuck in limbo between the overkill that is the laptop replacement of the Surface Pro and the underwhelming stripped down Surface RT that's missing only a couple of key features.
    07-23-2013 05:40 PM
    If it helps: you can connect to a PC in another domain via remote desktop using your Surface RT...?

I'd also love to see Cisco VPN on RT. :( Its a shame they dont, because many universities use this VPN for their campus network.
    07-24-2013 04:51 AM
    If it helps: you can connect to a PC in another domain via remote desktop using your Surface RT...?

I'd also love to see Cisco VPN on RT. :( Its a shame they dont, because many universities use this VPN for their campus network.
    unfortunately the requirement for me to remote desktop is to be connected to the domain directly, or to use VPN if I am connected to internet outside of the company network. Of course, the surface doesn't support neither domain joining nor Cisco vpn.

Team viewer just isn't as good.
    07-24-2013 07:53 AM
    In this article on 8.1 the guy mentions a thing called "Enterprise Joins". I have no idea but.. does it help? Enterprise Efficiency - Brien Posey - How Will Windows 8.1 Affect Tablet Users?
    07-25-2013 11:57 PM
    With the 8.1 RT preview, my wife was able to get on her company's domain and access their SharePoint site. Couldn't do this on 8 RT.

Many of the 8.1 updates are targeted for enterprise use. Here's more info:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=wc-mscom-ent
    Last edited by rider2040; 07-26-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    07-26-2013 12:11 AM
    Upon further reading, I guess that she did not technically "join" the domain. However, she put the domain name and her password into the dialog box and is able to access company intranet. This is something that couldn't be done with Win 8 RT.
    07-26-2013 12:41 AM
    Cool, so I did find out you can specify domain in a user/pass combo. All I need now is Cisco VPN support.

Seriously, I check for news on this every single day. I would say its probably one of the most requested features outside of generic app requests.
    07-26-2013 10:29 AM
    This is something that couldn't be done with Win 8 RT.
    I do this almost daily on my RT. Our SharePoint site asks for Username and Password, and I enter domain\username and my password and get on with no problem.
    07-29-2013 02:03 PM