Do you turn off your Windows RT device?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just curious because I can't decide whether to turn off my surface rt or not. First I'm scared it might shorten battery life because it functions as a PC, but at the same time it's a lightweight version of windows 8 and a direct competitor to other tablets, so it should be designed to go on to sleep for fast access.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No, can't see any reason to. They've accounted for this when the screen is off. It's called "connected standby", it does not operate like a PC during this time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've done it before out of reflex but I don't typically turn it off. The longest I've gone without a charge is two days.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Never turn mine off either. I use it for a couple of hours every day during the week and pretty heavily at weekends only every charge it Friday night and Sunday night.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Almost never turn my surface off... The may die or an update restarts it.

I don't turn of my desktop PCs.... I usually only put my laptops in sleep/hibernate modes. Especially if they are ones with SSD. Regular HDD laptops get shut down for protection when traveling or not in use.

Last edited:

Richard Sargeant

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I do. I use my RT and Pro only infrequently and got tired of finding the battery totally discharged when I did pick them up.

I'm sure it's no worse than my old iPad 2, but that sits nicely in an Apple desk stand, charging continuously so is always ready on the rare occasions I use it. Wish there ^was a similar stand available for the RT!

RS

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
id probably turn it off if you don't plan on using it for the day. itll longer battery time and charge time.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I turn it off every third day or so, to keep things fresh. I turn my PC off almost every night. Is that bad? I don't like to waste electricity, but I suppose in sleep mode it isn't using much.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I never turn mine off, never turn off my Nexus 7, never turn off my WP8 phone. I'll reboot them when they ask, or when they act up, but otherwise they stay on. Part of the allure of these devices is their accessibility, how quick you can just pick it up and do something. If I wanted to wait for something to power on, I'd probably end up just using a laptop.

-E

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't turn mine off. I'll reboot it every few days or so even thought I probably don't have to do that. Old school habits I guess. But I put it on the charger every night, (don't have to do that either but why not) and its ready to go when I'm on the way to work.
As an aside, I don't draw attention to my RT on my desk but its amazing how much I end up in small discussions about my RT almost every day. Especially as it relates to switching between apps. Admittedly it looks very cool. :)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't turn mine off. I'll reboot it every few days or so even thought I probably don't have to do that. Old school habits I guess. But I put it on the charger every night, (don't have to do that either but why not) and its ready to go when I'm on the way to work.
As an aside, I don't draw attention to my RT on my desk but its amazing how much I end up in small discussions about my RT almost every day. Especially as it relates to switching between apps. Admittedly it looks very cool. :)

Agree: anytime anyone sees me cycling through apps (by rapidly swiping in from the left), they immediately become interested in the device. I wish they'd add this feature to Windows Phone too.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I pretty much treat it like I did my iPad -- just close the lid and set it down. It gets rebooted for the occasional update, and I've found that I need to reboot 8.1 to fix WiFi issues, but I'm forgiving of that sort of thing in beta software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium