Windows 8.1 RT preview has now been withdrawn

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
FYI 8.1 RT preview is no longer downloadable from Microsoft's website, and I assume will no longer be until release proper. A chat with Technical Support confirmed this was the case, and they pointed out that 8.1 preview is still available for normal PCs as the ISOs are still available.

I know because I had to do some troubleshooting yesterday and installed it once in the morning (worked) then wasn't able to on my second attempt in the evening. Slightly annoying as they didn't ever advertise a withdrawal date to my knowledge.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, look at the bright side. You are now one of the few people who know about RT 8.1 preview being pulled. And, we're closer to seeing the official RT 8.1 release.

Thanks for the info, then!

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I thought you could only get the RT Preview through Windows Store? And also I thought if you've already installed RT Preview, it overwrites the restore partition with 8.1, so when you do a restore you'll reset to factory with the 8.1 OS?

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought you could only get the RT Preview through Windows Store? And also I thought if you've already installed RT Preview, it overwrites the restore partition with 8.1, so when you do a restore you'll reset to factory with the 8.1 OS?

You're correct, it installs through the Store, but it won't show up in the store to download unless you download a small installer beforehand that 'tells' the Store to display 8.1.

Again, correct on the 2nd one but I have a 8.0 backup on a USB stick which I made before installing 8.1. Couldn't see an easy way to make one for 8.1, though.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
not convinced that 8.1 RTM will come through the store. They need to have a way to push it to all devices and I'm pretty sure something through Windows Update is going to push out 8.1. Leaving it up to the store would be pretty dumb.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just talking about the RT version (the non x86 and x64 one). I imagine the x86 and x64 version is different as there are ISOs available f

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
not convinced that 8.1 RTM will come through the store. They need to have a way to push it to all devices and I'm pretty sure something through Windows Update is going to push out 8.1. Leaving it up to the store would be pretty dumb.

My guess is it'll happen the same way as the Preview, a Windows Update that triggers the Store to notify you a ton about the release. Maybe they'll even start downloading it in the background like with app updates.

The reason it's so important to happen that way is that they really want to push users into the Store, and forcing an update through there is an excellent way to do that.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You need a Microsoft account to download from the store. A lot of Windows 8 users don't have a Microsoft account and just use a local account.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I take it no one kept the .msi file you had to download to enable the preview to be downloaded from the Store? Just got my replacement Surface in, don't want to go back to 8.0

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I take it no one kept the .msi file you had to download to enable the preview to be downloaded from the Store? Just got my replacement Surface in, don't want to go back to 8.0

On XDA-Developers, someone had a link to the downloadable file and said installing it now doesn't work, the Store never shows the preview still.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You need a Microsoft account to download from the store. A lot of Windows 8 users don't have a Microsoft account and just use a local account.

Even if you have a local account, you can sign into each app individually. And do you really think Microsoft isn't dying to get those users to put in their credentials for Store access, in addition to all of the other Microsoft services it provides? Anything they can do that pushes users to sign in is better for them.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
On XDA-Developers, someone had a link to the downloadable file and said installing it now doesn't work, the Store never shows the preview still.

Ah ok, thanks. Looks like I'll just have to create a recovery drive from my current 8.1 Surface and use that to install Windows 8.1 on the new Surface.

Even if you have a local account, you can sign into each app individually. And do you really think Microsoft isn't dying to get those users to put in their credentials for Store access, in addition to all of the other Microsoft services it provides? Anything they can do that pushes users to sign in is better for them.

And to add to that, when you initially set up Windows 8 the option to create a local account is downplayed to the point where it's a button with small font on the bottom of the screen. I'm sure the majority of average consumers signed in with a Microsoft account to begin with anyways. Even if they have a local account, there is always a way for Microsoft to push the update out through the Store or even Windows Update.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Doh! Just sent back a work Surface RT I had because my sister got me a $199 Surface RT. It's still in the box and I was going to put 8.1 preview on it tonight. Worst. Timing. Ever.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I would recommend that you just hang tight for the official release. Besides, MS is still fixing things as we sit. I know, it's about a month from now. But remember the old saying "Good things come to those who wait". ;)

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I bet Microsoft caves and releases it early. its already leaked, except for rt. rt will probably be leaked this weekend.
edit: its out :smile:

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's really still not ready for general end-users. There's still some bugs that need to be fixed, and some drivers that will need updates. That's the whole reason for the delay in the first place, and having used the RTM on my Pro for the past week or so and experiencing this stuff, I'd be shocked if that changes.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ah ok, thanks. Looks like I'll just have to create a recovery drive from my current 8.1 Surface and use that to install Windows 8.1 on the new Surface.

And to add to that, when you initially set up Windows 8 the option to create a local account is downplayed to the point where it's a button with small font on the bottom of the screen. I'm sure the majority of average consumers signed in with a Microsoft account to begin with anyways. Even if they have a local account, there is always a way for Microsoft to push the update out through the Store or even Windows Update.

I can tell you, when Geek Squad does personalized setups for people, they just set up a local account unless the person purchases Office in which they would make a Microsoft account with the client. But 9/10 times they will still send the user home with a local account signed in. Plus with just about half of Windows 8 computers that come back in to Geek Squad (for service) are still only local accounts. And yes you can sign into each individual app, but you cant download any new ones without signing in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6