Would you recommend the Surface RT with my preferences?

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I usually use a tablet to watch Netflix, browse the web, and various marketplaces such as eBay or amazon as the extra screen size is great. I also need a device to run office on to write my papers, so something to actually get something done on it. It is my understanding that it comes with Office baked into the OS like WP8. Is that correct? I'm looking for something portable, I don't want a netbook, and I don't have the money for any sort of "ultra" book, or whatever laptops call themselves these days. What's the average battery lifespan with normal use for you guys? Does it have the WP8 bug where almost everything makes it heat up and drain faster? I have heard plenty of things about internet explorer on the surface, and I would just like to hear some honest opinions and knowledge from using it. (As most websites/companies bash Microsoft products I want to know if it's real) And, what is the overall user experience like? Is it iffy and laggy like android? Or is it elegant and smooth like WP8? Sorry for such a long post, I just am on the fence here about purchasing it. As I don't have much disposable income, I want to make sure I can get what's right. I don't really care about apps, as long as it has the basics. Thanks for your time. :)

UPDATE: I ended up buying the Surface RT, but to stay in the spirit of Christmas, I won't open it until then. I got it for $230 at the Microsoft store with the type keyboard. What are some things I should know before first use?

UPDATE: I have used it for a couple days now and I love it. <3 This thread is going to turn into a thread to help me out with use of the surface.

Last edited:

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I use my Surface RT daily and love it. It does come with full office. Including Outlook in Windows 8.1 (I also highly recommend 8.1 and it's a free upgrade) It is a great little tablet, not as fast as the newer tablets but absolutely functional. I use it for work and play. Do documents and site surveys for work and then use it for media and web browsing at home. I actually use it more than my laptop and desktop most days. Battery is 8-10 hours depending on screen brightness etc.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had the original RT for almost a year now.

Great experience in terms of UI and features. While reviewers cannot understand having full Windows with Desktop capability, that feature has so many more uses than you'd imagine, including Office.

Apps like Netflix work great.

Browser can be a little slow at times but support of Flash makes it so much better than some other more popular tablets.

There is no UI lag. Interface is always instant in terms of flipping between tasks etc. I'd say it's like WP8 smooth.

Office is great. And remember, connect a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you basically have a laptop for Office.

Never noticed any heat.

The newer Surface sounds perfect in that the faster CPU will make browsing more responsive. But original RT is great value.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I had an RT, and it was great, but a bit slow, and the display meh. I got the Pro 2, and love it. The surface 2 has the same display as the pro, and is faster than the original, so I would spend a tad more and go for the surface 2.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I had an RT, and it was great, but a bit slow, and the display meh. I got the Pro 2, and love it. The surface 2 has the same display as the pro, and is faster than the original, so I would spend a tad more and go for the surface 2.
Could you explain what you mean by "slow"? Like just overall, or when running apps, or internet browsing? And does the display make text look grainy?

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had the original RT for almost a year now.

Great experience in terms of UI and features. While reviewers cannot understand having full Windows with Desktop capability, that feature has so many more uses than you'd imagine, including Office.

Apps like Netflix work great.

Browser can be a little slow at times but support of Flash makes it so much better than some other more popular tablets.

There is no UI lag. Interface is always instant in terms of flipping between tasks etc. I'd say it's like WP8 smooth.

Office is great. And remember, connect a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you basically have a laptop for Office.

Never noticed any heat.

The newer Surface sounds perfect in that the faster CPU will make browsing more responsive. But original RT is great value.

Reading this made me decide: I'm buying the Surface RT! (Once I have enough money, that is.)

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is or just grab a reburished one from eBay they usually come with full warranty and touch covers aren't that expensive either look around online maybe you could find it for 50/60$$

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Could you explain what you mean by "slow"? Like just overall, or when running apps, or internet browsing? And does the display make text look grainy?

Like sometimes when opening apps, it takes a bit of a while. And the text is fine, but the display isn't that sharp, like color wise.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Tough love: from what you've said, you will not be happy with the RT. Yes, it's slow, and slows down as you have more apps open. The screen is lower res, compared to the competition. If you can save up a bit, you'll be much happier with the Surface 2.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Tough love: from what you've said, you will not be happy with the RT. Yes, it's slow, and slows down as you have more apps open. The screen is lower res, compared to the competition. If you can save up a bit, you'll be much happier with the Surface 2.

The 2520 is EVEN faster, but the 2 is MUCH better than the original.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Surface RT is blessed trust me..Its WAY better than people make it seem

I mean it is great, and with all the CURRENT updates, driver updates, and windows 8.1, it gets a lot faster and better, but the new devices are better, obviously. But the RT is a great device. You won't be disappointed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb