why do so many websites with pull down menus not work with metro ie11?

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Really liking my new Windows RT device, Lumina 2520 which I use 99% of the time as a consumption device.
Though here is my rub, sure YouTube with flash works great but a lot of the sites I frequent everyday with pull sown menus don't operate correctly with either metro IE or desktop IE even if I add the site to the comparability list. I don't own a keyboard, just wanted the best tablet experience.
What is the issue? I even went and tried a surface pro 2 and it had the same issues, well at lease without using the keyboard.
Will IE ever be fixed?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It can be fixed through Microsoft, but the optimal fix would come from the site publisher in the form of simple tasks like tap to open drop down menu. It is not Microsoft's fault on this one.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not IE.

Some drop down menus are set to open on "hover", not on a press/click. Basically, these sites were not developed with touch in mind.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of, interesting though how IOS6 can handle 90% of these sites though IOS7 sucks so bad, I was a long time iPad user, even purchased the new air, yet ending up returning it because safari crashed all the time, so I jumped ship and went with a windows tablet, no regret except this issue I am having. I have to assume that these websites just want to make sure they work in IOS and don't really care about windows tablets.
Bummer.
So I hope MS can figure out away like apple did

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. It would be stupid and tedious for Microsoft to pour all this money into updates when the site publisher will have to do it anyway.

Winphoner

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
One thing you can try is to tap and hold (long press) on the links. In IE11, long press equals hover, so holding down should open up the hover menu. It also opens the windows right click menu (in Metro IE, it's the bottom bar with "Open in a new Tab" etc.).
Sometimes, it's not usable, sometimes it works well... worth a try

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I have encountered this same problem. Try this. In IE11 (metro or desktop BUT with no touchpad or mouse connected) and go to www.gmail.com and log in. Then, try to log out
using the icon in the upper right hand corner. If you're lucky, you MIGHT get the menu to appear ONCE. But then it will never appear again. This is using touch.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing you can try is to tap and hold (long press) on the links. In IE11, long press equals hover, so holding down should open up the hover menu. It also opens the windows right click menu (in Metro IE, it's the bottom bar with "Open in a new Tab" etc.).
Sometimes, it's not usable, sometimes it works well... worth a try

This.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven