Recommendations for Password Manager

aleks88h

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some good password manager applications that I can use on my Surface 2. Using unique passwords on every site can get confusing in the long run, so I would like an application to manage them. I've seen a few online apps for this, but I would not feel safe using them. If someone hacked their site people could potentially get my password for all my accounts. I've seen there are quite a few on the app store, but there are few reviews. Strong encryption of the database used by the app is important and I would not feel safe simply storing them all in a spreadsheet.

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using lastpass for years. Unfortunately the app on my vivotab rt doesn't integrate with IE, so I have to pull up lastpass and copy/paste the password.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I would say your brain. You do not need a completely unique password for every site. I think I use 4-5 unique passwords for everything. I can remember them all and interchange them as needed.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would say your brain. You do not need a completely unique password for every site. I think I use 4-5 unique passwords for everything. I can remember them all and interchange them as needed.

I disagree completely. I used to use that approach too, but security breaches make that a bad idea. A website losing control of it's passwords makes your credentials vulnerable elsewhere...password hacking techniques use passwords that have been breached as a dictionary to break into accounts on other websites. You really really should use a unique, secure password for each site, and the only way to do that securely is to use a good password manager. I recommend LastPass as well. It integrates well with any desktop browser, and there are mobile apps for any browser. It would be nice, as Shad0wguy said, if the LastPass plugin could work with Metro IE, but it doesn't, so the LastPass metro app is an acceptable substitute.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Pencil and Paper. Seriously though. I am with you, I don't feel like anything stored on a server or in a cloud somewhere is safe, read the news and its pretty obvious that regardless of what encryption technology is used, somebody's capable of hacking it. I have moved to a protected document that does not get synchronized anywhere and a password on my device.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Since I use W8.1, WRT8.1 and WP8 and trying to find a password manager that runs on each platform (preferred free open source) has been futile, I reverted to an Excel spreadsheet that I keep on my Skydrive :crying:

Mainly because I have around 70 accounts/passwords that I need to keep track of now days. I used to just print the list and keep it in my wallet, but I do change passwords on regular basis so the continuous printing got to cumbersome.

Personally I would love to have password manager that would store the master file (2048 bit encrypted) on my Skydrive because I always have access to that.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Not possible yet.
Lastpass is available for wp8 but just for viewing cant plug to IE.

Send via Lumia 625 GDR3, Developers Unlocked.

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have LastPass on my phone, Surface 2 and desktop.

I admit that it is a pain that I have to copy / paste passwords into Modern IE, but at least I can use on all 3 devices.

Also, I'm sure that passwords are encrypted with your master password and encrypted again in the cloud. (read it somewhere).

I used to swear by RoboForm, but I still don' think they have Modern or phone 8 versions. I switched a few months back.

Edit: RoboForm is in the phone store lol.

Last edited:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I use enpass on wp8; i don't back up to the cloud but believe the option is present. Not sure if there is w8 compatibility, but thought to chime in. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb