We were told a month ago that VLC was days away from being the marketplace by the developers. Where the hell is it? This has been one giant waste of donated money.
    03-06-2014 03:36 AM
    We were told a month ago that VLC was days away from being the marketplace by the developers. Where the hell is it? This has been one giant waste of donated money.
    Read this article : VLC Player Coming To Windows Store On Monday, Subtitles Support May Be Missing At Launch | WMPoweruser
    Kebero likes this.
    03-06-2014 03:49 AM
    So much for that....its Tuesday. Worst funded project ever.
    Jack Janik, wapoz and RajeevT like this.
    03-11-2014 08:00 AM
    So much for that....its Tuesday. Worst funded project ever.
    I totally agree with your statement.
    03-11-2014 08:08 AM
    VLC is MIA
    03-11-2014 08:15 AM
    VLC posted this on their twitter account : http://i.imgur.com/hLSTDnH.png
    They say its still in certification...
    03-11-2014 08:19 AM
    VLC posted this on their twitter account : http://i.imgur.com/hLSTDnH.png
    They say its still in certification...
    Just the other day they said it has passed certification and that it would get published on Monday. VLC is such a waste IMHO.
    03-11-2014 08:59 AM
    Just the other day they said it has passed certification and that it would get published on Monday. VLC is such a waste IMHO.
    Yeah, but I think they meant a different certification. Later on they said that Microsoft told them to redo their entire audio core.
    03-11-2014 12:01 PM
    I pretty much need this app
    03-11-2014 12:06 PM
    03-12-2014 07:29 PM
    ​Not for Windows RT right now.
    03-12-2014 07:42 PM
    and why they made it for x86 architecture is beyod me. It is RT users that need it.

I will contrinue to use MediaMonkey.

and oh, the x86 version worked once only, and crashes from then on.
    03-12-2014 10:33 PM
    1. It's a beta. There will be bugs.

2. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people with small laptops or tablets running 8/8.1 Core/Pro who would prefer the Modern UI over the desktop for media applications than there are RT users. On my 14" ProBook, I prefer Hulu and Netflix in the Modern UI, and they work great snapped off to the side if I'm not using them full screen.
    03-12-2014 10:42 PM
    Useless beta for me. VLC Beta for Android is also bad, but not this bad.
    03-12-2014 11:45 PM
    and why they made it for x86 architecture is beyod me. It is RT users that need it.

I will contrinue to use MediaMonkey.

and oh, the x86 version worked once only, and crashes from then on.
    There are more x86 Windows tablets for sale, some of which are too small to use the desktop properly (despite what Microsoft may want) and this is a great send for them. Also, it is working for a lot of people. It isn't the best beta, but it isn't crashing for everybody at least.
    03-13-2014 10:16 AM
    ​Not for Windows RT right now.
    And it's still in beta milestone, which means "use at your own risk."
    03-14-2014 01:35 AM
    And it's still in beta milestone, which means "use at your own risk."
    If it was on RT I would so be using it right now.
    Last edited by Michael Alan Goff; 03-14-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    03-14-2014 08:46 AM
    I find it amazing that other apps (mobile HD) are doing almost the same thing, and a year and a half before this. I've come to realize that the VLC crew is massively overrated.
    03-14-2014 10:53 AM
    I find it amazing that other apps (mobile HD) are doing almost the same thing, and a year and a half before this. I've come to realize that the VLC crew is massively overrated.
    Either that, or it takes a lot of effort to move a program that takes advantage of platform specific code to another platform.

​One of the two.
    03-14-2014 01:38 PM
    You conclude "overrated", I conclude "understaffed". This is VLC we're talking about. A tool that is universally recognized as a top media player (some would say, "best") across platforms. It takes behind-the-scenes work to maintain a rational codebase that can be re-used. Many developers write quick-n-dirty code that will work for one platform but must be significantly rewritten or restructured for another. Trying to maintain some parity between the versions in that environment gets more difficult over time.

You blame the developers but perhaps some of the blame lays at Microsoft's feet. Some of the Win 8.x APIs have undergone revisions... some revisions were slight, others extensive. If Microsoft's wavering vision with regard to the Win8 UI is any indication of what is happening to the internals, it would not be surprising to learn that API shift, poorly documented APIs, buggy APIs, etc. are contributing factors.

If mobile HD is a better VLC than VLC then why not simply use mobile HD and be done with it? What is it about VLC (except for an opportunity to complain) that keeps your attention?
    03-15-2014 11:02 AM
    You conclude "overrated", I conclude "understaffed". This is VLC we're talking about. A tool that is universally recognized as a top media player (some would say, "best") across platforms. It takes behind-the-scenes work to maintain a rational codebase that can be re-used. Many developers write quick-n-dirty code that will work for one platform but must be significantly rewritten or restructured for another. Trying to maintain some parity between the versions in that environment gets more difficult over time.

You blame the developers but perhaps some of the blame lays at Microsoft's feet. Some of the Win 8.x APIs have undergone revisions... some revisions were slight, others extensive. If Microsoft's wavering vision with regard to the Win8 UI is any indication of what is happening to the internals, it would not be surprising to learn that API shift, poorly documented APIs, buggy APIs, etc. are contributing factors.

If mobile HD is a better VLC than VLC then why not simply use mobile HD and be done with it? What is it about VLC (except for an opportunity to complain) that keeps your attention?
    Ummmmmm.....because I donated to it to support the OS and then discovered mobile HD after. But thanks for pretending to know what you are talking about when referencing me. Nice try though.
    03-15-2014 11:49 PM
    Ummmmmm.....because I donated to it to support the OS and then discovered mobile HD after. But thanks for pretending to know what you are talking about when referencing me. Nice try though.
    In a previous post in this thread you said, "This has been one giant waste of donated money." That doesn't make it clear that you donated money. Your latest response DOES makes that clear. So thank you for the clarification. The rest of my post stands.
    03-18-2014 03:21 PM
    In a previous post in this thread you said, "This has been one giant waste of donated money." That doesn't make it clear that you donated money. Your latest response DOES makes that clear. So thank you for the clarification. The rest of my post stands.
    Yeah....it "stands" alright....
    03-21-2014 06:14 PM