Infuriated with Microsoft!

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i just searched for a 64gb lumia 2520 and saw none where made but thats fine, it has a sd card grreatttt oh but wait you can't put apps on it and the office takes majority of what the OS doesn't, im pretty sure the word processor they made for ipads isnt as big as the one the one that runs on their os.
this is why windows RT sucks, what am i meant to do if i can't install, fifa14 and asphalt at the same time if i have office on it.

Microsoft are always the number one reason their platforms fails.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i just searched for a 64gb lumia 2520 and saw none where made but thats fine, it has a sd card grreatttt oh but wait you can't put apps on it and the office takes majority of what the OS doesn't, im pretty sure the word processor they made for ipads isnt as big as the one the one that runs on their os.
this is why windows RT sucks, what am i meant to do if i can't install, fifa14 and asphalt at the same time if i have office on it.

The RT version of Office is almost a complete 100% port (if I understand correctly) meaning its going to be comparable to desktop Office. The iPad version isn't as featured and was built ground-up. The Office "Touch" will be as well, and likely lighter.

You're just raging over storage, ok. Maybe the 2520 isn't for you. They've done some great work with WIMBoot as well.
Although I do seem them as bumbling over in PR at times.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Office and Windows RT combined take up 8GB or so. That would mean that, maybe, it's 2-2.5GB on its own. I have the Office apps installed on my iPad, so I can tell you the vast difference.

Word:489MB
Excel:461MB
PowerPoint: 448MB
OneNote: 417MB

Outlook isn't there, so I can't tell you how much space that takes on the iPad. With those alone, though, they're not that much different in terms of size. Then, as somebody pointed out, you have to realize that Office on Windows RT has more features than the one on the iPad.

The RT version of Office is almost a complete 100% port (if I understand correctly) meaning its going to be comparable to desktop Office. The iPad version isn't as featured and was built ground-up. The Office "Touch" will be as well, and likely lighter.

You're just raging over storage, ok. Maybe the 2520 isn't for you. They've done some great work with WIMBoot as well.
Although I do seem them as bumbling over in PR at times.

Old article is old.

What Office for RT lacks | Network World

Last edited by a moderator:

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
na honestly i want to get a RT tablet but if most RT tablets are made with only 32gb of space, then isnt letting us install apps on sd cards common sense?. my problem wasn't with RT or Office its with the lack of ability to install metro apps onto sd cards when the majority of windows tablet made are 32gb

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
There is a registry hack to install apps to SD.
YouTube has a few videos on the subject.
Doing this is a little involved, yet not real difficult.

I have my RT and my DV8P set up this way.
The Venue is much better however because I have my executes running from the SD card in it.
Both are 64 gig devices so storage hasn't been much trouble.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a registry hack to install apps to SD.
YouTube has a few videos on the subject.
Doing this is a little involved, yet not real difficult.

I have my RT and my DV8P set up this way.
The Venue is much better however because I have my executes running from the SD card in it.
Both are 64 gig devices so storage hasn't been much trouble.

can't do it with 8.1 i swear?

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
First it was RumoredNow, now you too John? Looks like the old webOS gang is re-congregating here!

I still use my webOS Verizon PrePlus (as it is my primary phone), and I still use my Touchpad, just needed to replace an old Windows XP box and the Surface RT 64G was on clearance, could not pass it up...

Hello

Come on, I know you've been here since the time of Moses. :)

I did not know the web is that old... LOL

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can't install apps on the SD card, can you not install them on a jump drive or something connected via USB? I'm just curious.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Why are you infuriated with MS when you are talking about a device built by Nokia (Well into the design if not build stage before MS took over the device division).

If you want a tablet for running Office, maybe an RT device isn't what you want, don't get me wrong, it will run Office for RT but RT was built to run on more domestic use devices, so if you want a tablet with more spec, consider a Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 if you can't go the whole way for a Surface 3, you will probably find you can get a Surface Pro 2 for a very good price if you shop around.

I got my original Surface Pro at a fantastic price, and although the battery life is poor compared to the later ones, it's still one heck of a piece of kit and will run almost any program.

Or go and buy an ipad or android powered tablet, although I think you will be disappointed at them, but then you won't be ranting at MS for something it either had no control of or ranting for the sake of it when there are plenty of other products you can buy.

Bob

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo