The future of Windows RT (the OS)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While it's true there's unlikely to be any future RT devices or significant updates to Windows RT, I wouldn't bury it quite yet.

Windows RT is largely stable and still performs. My girlfriend by far prefers her Surface 2 over my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

Of course, it depends on what you want out of the system - if it's just general web browsing, email and the odd app, it works just fine.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
While it's true there's unlikely to be any future RT devices or significant updates to Windows RT, I wouldn't bury it quite yet.

Windows RT is largely stable and still performs. My girlfriend by far prefers her Surface 2 over my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

Of course, it depends on what you want out of the system - if it's just general web browsing, email and the odd app, it works just fine.

They were asking about the future though and mentioned W10. So I was correct... ?

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
WinRT isn't the operating system, guys. It's the development platform. The "modern" platform, and now the Universal platform is an extension of WinRT. The future is, I hope, very bright. It's different technology, but so was Win32 at some point. Once it gets perfected, I think WinRT will be much better than Win32 ever was.

Sent from mTalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
WinRT isn't the operating system, guys. It's the development platform. The "modern" platform, and now the Universal platform is an extension of WinRT. The future is, I hope, very bright. It's different technology, but so was Win32 at some point. Once it gets perfected, I think WinRT will be much better than Win32 ever was.

Sent from mTalk

Well then to answer the question properly.

WinRT is now UAP or the singular API for Windows 10 applications across all platforms. It is basically WinRT rebranded.

So the WinRT is the future or to put more to the point the only future of Windows.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call the RT tablets dead quite yet. Microsoft's push to WinRT apps did fail miserably so they focused in x86-64, but the Continuum phones might make RT viable again. Intel tablets are pretty cheap though.

ARM tablets could maybe be marketed as "Windows Lite" and be locked to apps from the Windows Store. This would be beneficial from a security standpoint and make a dramatically simpler OS that some users may like.

But I just don't know. Microsoft could easily do a lot with RT tablets, but I just don't know if it would be worth it to them.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand there is a version of win10 coming for arm products. If that is the case, then RT surface products will be revived. at which point I will buy a couple of surface 2 RTs and have a couple of extra cheap devices....maybe I should buy them now!...ha ha.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand there is a version of win10 coming for arm products. If that is the case, then RT surface products will be revived. at which point I will buy a couple of surface 2 RTs and have a couple of extra cheap devices....maybe I should buy them now!...ha ha.
It's my understanding that there will be no W10 for RT. There is an optional update that gives you the Start screen like W10 but that's it. The cool part about it is you have the choice to use the standard 8.1 "tablet" mode or the W10 start. I'm using the W10 mode on my 2520 and I have the best of both worlds. Some users decried W10 on x86 devices because it removed the charms bar and some other features. Well, RT still has the charms, swipe-down-to-close apps, split screen, etc. As for apps, most of the old ARM apps have been replaced with Universals in the store so I'm confident that apps will not be a problem going forward.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I know about the update. I have it done to two of my asus vivotabs. But windows is working on an ARM based version of W10 going forward. I think what they are trying is to be able to run it on other mobile devices like Android tablets, etc. I am 90% sure that I read that somewhere recently.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
There is an optional update that gives you the Start screen like W10 but that's it. The cool part about it is you have the choice to use the standard 8.1 "tablet" mode or the W10 start. I'm using the W10 mode on my 2520 and I have the best of both worlds.

I have installed all optional updates and have no idea how to find the option to look like W10, any suggestions welcome for out Semi-redundant Surface 2.

Edit:
OK found it. Given we only use the Surface 2 to play Groove music, Netflix, TV Catchup, the odd radio station and to (Along with many other devices) manage our lighting via Heutro for HUE and Home Automation, I think I will go back to the icons on the Start page, but at least I have seen it.

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Firstly make sure you have downloaded the optional updates, then go to the "Desktop" (Not the Start screen).

Then right click (Hold finger down for a few seconds) on the taskbar and then click on properties, this will bring up a small window, click on the Start menu tab and then select "Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen".

There are two other tick boxes that affect what is shown in the Start menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3