URGENT• Surface RT not working plz help

SteelMan962

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Surface rt won't start,
I remember i was playing a game and a msg appeared saying your device is doing an important update or it said you device is doing a reset.
Surface starts for a few seconds and the surface logo appears and shuts down without reaching to the circle dots.

I went with the recover from usb method i downloaded the recovery image for my surface from the surface website,

At the end of the download a message popped up saying that install.wim is corrupt. I downloaded it again and same happened.

I followed the instructions after extracting the zip file onto the usb (which i bought a few hours ago for this purpose and has 16gb and FAT32 formatted!) And the install.wim wasn't copied into it.

When i reached the the troubleshoot option there was only 3 options; refresh. Reset. Advanced options.

When i hit refresh it says: the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again.

When i hit reset= unable to reset, a required drive partition is missing.

Advice please.

Last edited:

SteelMan962

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Suggest you use IE or Edge to download the image.

Thanks alot on the suggestion it was downloaded without the corrupt install.wim when i used IE.

Now after i tap reset it asks: do you want to repartition the drives? Im left with two options 1-yes repartition and 2-no keep existing partitions

When i choose 1= unable to reset, system drive cannote be found.

When i choose 2= unable to reset, a required drive partition is missing.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Reset your Surface from the USB recovery drive by following these steps:
1.Shut down your Surface and plug it in so you don’t run out of power during the refresh.
2.Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.
3.Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
4.When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
5.Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
6.If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.
7.Select the operating system you want to reset. This refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
8.Select Yes, repartition the drives. On the next page, select Next.
9.Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.
The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
10.Select Reset.
Surface restarts and the Surface logo appears while the reset process continues (this can take several minutes).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3