Xbox questions

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to get an Xbox but I know nothing about them. I want to have the Kinect setup also. What do I need as far as hard drive size, accessories, etc?

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The XBox slim comes with a 250 GB hard drive scottcraft. It also has the special socket for the Kinect.

If you go for an older console you have to use the extra power adaptor for your Kinect.

No biggie just tidier.

Other than that, not a lot else is needed. It has built in Wi-Fi (the slim)

Or you can connect to your router by standard network cable if it's more convenient.

Watch out for Christmas promos where you get a console & Kinect, always a little cheaper.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At WalMart they sell a 4Gb Xbox with Kinect for a reasonable price, but I'm sure having just 4Gb has some disadvantages. I haven't done much research on the subject yet so I need to get started.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well that's the new equivalent of the old Arcade version without any HD. You can add to this using a USB memory pen (Maximum of 12 GB) but to be honest as all games now install from the discs to your hard drive for faster loading (if you wish to) I think this is the way to go.

Also if you wish to download a few demos, with the non hard drive version you would need to keep deleting stuff when you ran out of space.

Some of the demo's can be as big as 2GB now so the more space available to you the better. (IMO) :)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
the 4gb is a great xbox if you use it more for media sharing, watching movies, etc than for game playing. If you're a game player, definitely get the bundle with the large hard drive.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The 4 gb with kinect is 299 and the 250gb with kinect is 399. The 250 gb doesn't have a controller, but it still seems like a much better deal with the memory it has. As for as movies, is there a certain site for that or do you use netflix, amazon and such?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Netflix is available on XBox Live Gold which is an extra subscription if you wish to play online games.
Loads of other stuff too like Zune, Last FM , Facebook, Twitter etc

You can rent movies on the Zune service.

I haven't seen an Xbox that doesn't come without a controller are you sure about that ?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I rip my own DVDs to my home pc and serve them to the xbox, mostly. I also record OTA shows in HD and do the same.

I rent through zune sometimes, but it's an expensive rental.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can link it to your PC as Coffee says and stream from that. I use Media Centre and it's an excellent addition to your Xbox for recording and streaming. (If you have a TV card for recording)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen an Xbox that doesn't come without a controller are you sure about that ?

It does come with a controller, I had to do some further reading. All in all the Xbox looks like a pretty neat setup between the games, Kinect and multimedia. Maybe Santa Claus will bring one!

Vulak'Aerr

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I just want to add my 2 pence about the HDD option. If you play games at all, get the 250GB HDD. It's infuriating to be so limited. Keep in mind that DLC (downloadable content) is a big thing these days so trying to keep up with that using memory sticks will turn your brain to mush.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa