Watching own Movies on Xbox360

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to watch movies from a hard drive through the XBOX 360. I know with my PS3, I can plug in my external HD and movies will play from the hard drive. I haven't found a way to do this via XBOX.

FYI, the media center method has trouble finding the extender most of the time.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just plug in HDD...?

Well, to be fair, (and this is INSANELY ridiculous...)

The only supported file systems are FAT (16/32, iirc), and HFS/HFS+. Also the Zunes, but those likely use FAT32.

HFS/HFS+, as some may know, is an Apple-only file system. Why on earth would MS support that, and not MS' own NTFS, is beyond me.

In addition, the xbox is rather picky about what it supports. I tried converting files for it a while back, I think I ended up just using h264 Main Profile, 720p max res, 8mbps max bitrate. 192kbps stereo audio. I didn't feel like experiementing, and those settings are roughtly along what I have seen recommended.

All that is with the "Optional Media Update" you can find in the XBL marketplace.

It's gotten bad enough, I just connect my laptop to the TV (since I also have no FAT32 formatted external HDD, either...).

I haven't tried with the new dashboard, but I guess I'll wait until the official dashboard update before I dip my toes into that frozen bucket again.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I play all my movies through Vuze. No compatibility issues as Vuze preps the file for media sharing so it'll be recognised by the 360. :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My hard drive must be NTFS, because when I plug it in, it's not found. The PS3 finds it just fine. I'll save off all the items on the HD and reformat it to FAT32. Strange, it says the PS3 doesn't support NTFS. IDK what's going on. Guess I'll actually do some troubleshooting tonight.
Just plug in HDD...?

Well, to be fair, (and this is INSANELY ridiculous...)

The only supported file systems are FAT (16/32, iirc), and HFS/HFS+. Also the Zunes, but those likely use FAT32.

HFS/HFS+, as some may know, is an Apple-only file system. Why on earth would MS support that, and not MS' own NTFS, is beyond me.

In addition, the xbox is rather picky about what it supports. I tried converting files for it a while back, I think I ended up just using h264 Main Profile, 720p max res, 8mbps max bitrate. 192kbps stereo audio. I didn't feel like experiementing, and those settings are roughtly along what I have seen recommended.

All that is with the "Optional Media Update" you can find in the XBL marketplace.

It's gotten bad enough, I just connect my laptop to the TV (since I also have no FAT32 formatted external HDD, either...).

I haven't tried with the new dashboard, but I guess I'll wait until the official dashboard update before I dip my toes into that frozen bucket again.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss