XBox App Discussion (UK)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Still no BBC iPlayer, can't be far away now. I have it built into my TV, but still a welcome addition to XBox, as unusually it doesn't need a Gold account to work ,which is nice. :)

Maybe this week ?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Still no BBC iPlayer, can't be far away now. I have it built into my TV, but still a welcome addition to XBox, as unusually it doesn't need a Gold account to work ,which is nice. :)

Maybe this week ?

IIRC, the BBC would only allow the iPlayer app if it was 'free'. It's the reason why they fell out in previous talks over iPlayer coming to Xbox.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it's utterly outrageous that you need xbox live gold for these apps. I'm not a big online gamer so it isn't worth my paying, but Microsoft are basically stiffing me and deliberately crippling the use of my device to squeeze cash out of me for something I get free on my phone, iPad, PS3 (via browser), Wii etc.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thats the first app i know of that you don't need Gold Pronk. (BBC iPlayer)

That was once of the BBC's stipulations that non Gold members could access BBC iPlayer for free.

As you say, all the rest need Gold which is a bit stinky for sure.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's utterly outrageous that you need xbox live gold for these apps. I'm not a big online gamer so it isn't worth my paying, but Microsoft are basically stiffing me and deliberately crippling the use of my device to squeeze cash out of me for something I get free on my phone, iPad, PS3 (via browser), Wii etc.

That stinks. As someone who uses the online service a lot, I'm not really effected, but nevertheless, I feel your pain. MS need to address this issue. The 'other' 360 services should be open to silver members who do not wish to go online.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree Big Supes, you'd think that at least the basic Catch Up TV services would be available to anyone, like the Channel 4 & 5 offerings.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely, Weebear. As Pronk has stated, it's free to view via a internet browser....

Further more, the PS3 also has catch up tv 'apps' which are free.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
In light of the last couple of posts, something that is irritating me lately is this 'advertisement' tile. Adverts are typically used to generate revenue for 'free' services. I pay ?40 a year for Xbox Live Gold so I don't expect adverts. That wasted tile makes a big difference to the experience.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The adverts are annoying me too. On TV they're fine because as Big Supes said, it subs free content. But there's NO content on my xbox that I haven't already paid for in some way. If I'm in the store section, OK - that's more acceptable. But it seems to be everywhere now.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hope your'e enjoying iplayer Big Supes. It's not as good in HD as on my built in iPlayer on my TV but it's nice to have it I guess. The more the merrier.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Weebear!! :) Hope you're well 'ole chum. Well, being honest, I've had it on the PS3 for a while now, but it's extremely slow and clunky on there so it's a treat to have it released on the Xbox as well. Even better is that Nokia are bringing it over to WP!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello Big Supes, hope you are well too, I'm great thanks, just trying to cope with this heat.

Yes can't wait till it appears on WP, woo hoo!, ah say, woo hoo! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte