How do you connect headphones?

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've just got an XBox 360S and an HDMI to DVI connector so I can connect it to my 24" monitor.

However, since it is just a monitor there is no audio. My 7.1 surround system attached to my PC is no good because the XBox doesn't have the connectors.

So I'm left thinking that connecting up some headphones will be the easiest way to get audio.

However, the XBox has no 3.5mm jack socket.

How can I do this? Surely it can't be that hard?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You have to use an official / third party headset that plugs into the controller podsnap.

Unfortunately you can't just plug in standard headphones.

(You can see the connector there)

You can maybe get some sort of adaptor that includes the audio output (from hdmi), not sure podsnap.

Last edited:

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
But the headset that plugs into the controller only seems to be for voice, I don't hear any game sounds.

Or am I being thick?

Muero

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not sure if the new Xbox 360s have this capability, but on my 360 Elite, it came with an audio adapter to use with HDMI. It has optical audio out and RCA audio out. I then use an RCA-to-3.5mm plug, and the 3.5mm stereo cable gets plugged into my computer speakers. That way I can use my computer monitor and computer speakers with the 360. If you google "Xbox 360 optical RCA audio" you can see the adapter I'm talking about.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.055139,-89.498260
Sent from my iPhone 4

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Muero, that helps me get my head round it. Seems a bit of a convoluted way but then I guess the XBox is designed for HD TVs not monitors.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
But the headset that plugs into the controller only seems to be for voice, I don't hear any game sounds.

Or am I being thick?
You are of course correct podsnap, me being thick, sorry.

What about Muero_'s idea then.

It would be a lot easier for sure if it just included a standard headphone jack.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks flash_focus, that might be a good solution.

What are peoples thoughts on these headsets?

I'm looking at a Tritton Tirgger ?39 from Amazon or Turtle Beach X12 ?35 from Amazon.

The Tritton are 'officially licenced by MS' not that means anything.

But they to look a lot cooler than the Turtle Beach (which is clearly important when you're sitting on your own in a room playing online! ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720