11-29-2013 08:46 AM
433 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Because if it's not part of the console, developers can't be 100% sure someone has it. Therefore, they won't code in core functionality using it.

That's the reason we haven't seen any real hardcore use of Kinect. Devs can't make a game that uses Kinect input to enhance their game because they know that not everyone has it.

It's like if the XBOX only came with a joystick as a controller. But they sold the full XBOX controller separately. Devs would code only requiring the joystick, and the other buttons and functions of the full controller would just be add-ons that are not necessary for the game. So you end up with a gimped game.

So there really is not XBOX ONE with Kinect any more than there is XBOX ONE with Hard Drive or XBOX ONE with Controller. It's just the XBOX ONE.
    No, they didn't code for the Kinect probably because of its inaccuracies. There were plenty of games that used it, but they were mostly titles that could accept the input lag and inconsistencies of the device. Now that it functions well at quick-moving tasks, it's different. I don't care if EVERYONE had the last Kinect, FPS titles would not have worked on it.
    05-23-2013 02:07 PM
    i'm getting one for sure, i can't wait for E3 to see the 15 exclusives games
    05-23-2013 04:42 PM
    I was so stoked for the reveal, couldn't wait for them to finally put those nasty rumours to bed once and for all.... They blew it, royally. The after show discussions about the specs and the always online and used games etc sounded hideous. Major Nelson has provided "clarification" which has not helped. The comments for that one have reached over 3400. Very few are positive. I would have to echo some of those concerns.

Also, the reveal seemed to be all about TV features. I see what they were trying to achieve, but that is not the box I need, although the real time stats looked cool. Skype, I liked though, can see that being useful. I am somewhat concerned about the bandwidth the damn thing will require. Streaming data from the remote processing servers will gobble bandwidth.

The specs too, seemed (I am a lay man, not an IT pro) much lower than the PS4. I think they needed to be way ahead of the PS4, which seems a little more future proof.

At this moment in time, if Sony announced that they had licensed the xbox controller then I would be all over the PS4.
    05-23-2013 05:42 PM
    People were saying don't force Blu Ray on me with Sony. Look at them now. People will get used to Kinect.
    05-23-2013 05:56 PM
    yay I can quote you!

So again good points, so lets lay my sole argument to the side and argue the gaming aspect. What you say probably is true that the industry wants to move towards this type of interaction. I would agree that at times that type of control is awesome and fun. But if the game has that much functionality would it ever be able to be used with a controller? I would suggest no as you stated controller can't have that much depth. So you then tossed away any gaming in relaxing mode, no more kicked back in your sofa, controller in hand wasting your Saturday doing nothing but twiddling your thumb's. Lets face it you (not meaning you specifically) just alienated an entire style of game play that I would assume everyone enjoys at times.
    It's really up to developers.

I believe that most games will use BOTH the controller and Kinect. But without Kinect integrated, the option of using some Kinect functions is gone for many developers that create expensive games because they have to make it work for as many people as possible.

Heck, wwouldn'tit be cool if you were playing co-op with your friend on your couch and an NPC actually looked at YOU and spoke, then turned and looked at your friend and spike to him?
    05-23-2013 06:32 PM
    No, they didn't code for the Kinect probably because of its inaccuracies. There were plenty of games that used it, but they were mostly titles that could accept the input lag and inconsistencies of the device. Now that it functions well at quick-moving tasks, it's different. I don't care if EVERYONE had the last Kinect, FPS titles would not have worked on it.
    I've worked in the game industry for a few years. Many of my friends still work at top studios.

The main reason Kinect wasn't used as an integral part of many games is because you create for the widest user base. You don't spend much time working on things that only 10% of your customers can use. The bigger the game's budget, the more true this is.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    05-23-2013 06:35 PM
    I'll get one. I'm tired of switching cables at the back of my tv to switch from cable to the game console. Controlling the tv with my voice and gestures will make me feel like I'm in minority report :) . It'll be great with my acer w510 and my 4 yr old HTC mozart wp7.8 with smartglass! Quantum break looks awesome!
    But I'll probably buy it 2-6 months after the release when the price goes down to post-hype levels or if there's a good enough black friday deal for it.
    05-23-2013 06:42 PM
    I'll get one. I'm tired of switching cables at the back of my tv to switch from cable to the game console. Controlling the tv with my voice and gestures will make me feel like I'm in minority report :) . It'll be great with my acer w510 and my 4 yr old HTC mozart wp7.8 with smartglass! Quantum break looks awesome!
    But I'll probably buy it 2-6 months after the release when the price goes down to post-hype levels or if there's a good enough black friday deal for it.
    I use to have that problem but I bought a switcher on monoprice.com for good price. I've had it for roughly 5yrs not the first problem. Def recommend it I'm sure other places sell them but that's where mine is from so that's all can speak on lol.
    05-23-2013 10:09 PM
    I'm getting it. I cut the cable back in 2004. I don't give a crap about that. What interests me about the XBox one is Kinect, Kinect, Kinect!!!!

Kinect baby!!!!!
    05-23-2013 10:13 PM
    I've worked in the game industry for a few years. Many of my friends still work at top studios.

The main reason Kinect wasn't used as an integral part of many games is because you create for the widest user base. You don't spend much time working on things that only 10% of your customers can use. The bigger the game's budget, the more true this is.
    Exactly.
    05-23-2013 10:19 PM
    I'm going to get this as well as the PS4 simply because I have no self control
    05-24-2013 08:13 AM
    For those who enjoy selling your games after you're done...

Report: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales | Joystiq

Personally, I'm a bit hurt by this. I hate selling games to Gamestop, cause they give you such a diminished value for what you can get on Craigslist. Knowing that maybe my only option makes me feel less inclined to buy games on street date, and wait for it to go on sale.
    05-24-2013 11:32 AM
    For those who enjoy selling your games after you're done...

Report: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales | Joystiq

Personally, I'm a bit hurt by this. I hate selling games to Gamestop, cause they give you such a diminished value for what you can get on Craigslist. Knowing that maybe my only option makes me feel less inclined to buy games on street date, and wait for it to go on sale.
    First, that is a "plausible scenario" described by a retailer. Nothing looks to be set in stone yet, which is why Microsoft hasn't come out with details yet. Second, nowhere does this say there won't be a system set up to sell anywhere other than at a retailer such as Gamestop. I would be fairly livid if something like that were to go down... But something tells me, if that did happen, it's more of a "this is what everyone will be doing" kind of thing and eventually everyone will be going that direction. Or, this could be the fall of Xbox as a gaming console, depending on how they pull this off and if Sony isn't doing the same thing.
    05-24-2013 12:06 PM
    I'm getting it. I cut the cable back in 2004. I don't give a crap about that. What interests me about the XBox one is Kinect, Kinect, Kinect!!!!

Kinect baby!!!!!
    So would you say that your excited about Kinect?
    Mystictrust likes this.
    05-24-2013 12:26 PM

To an extent, sure. However, it wouldn't matter how many people owned the Kinect if you were making a fast-paced title. Call of Duty would have NO SHOT at working on the first-gen Kinect. If it was all about the widest audience, exclusives wouldn't exist.
    05-24-2013 12:54 PM
    To an extent, sure. However, it wouldn't matter how many people owned the Kinect if you were making a fast-paced title. Call of Duty would have NO SHOT at working on the first-gen Kinect. If it was all about the widest audience, exclusives wouldn't exist.
    I guess you're forgetting about many of the stuff that are less "core features". Kinect doesn't have to replace moving, shooting and things like this in fast paced titles like CoD. One idea that I got from the press conference especially with COD:Ghosts in mind would be controlling the dog. Isn't that how they do it in real life too? You vocally command the dog. For squeezing the trigger you would still do just that, just on the controller.

Other things could be some quick commands given in these games, they could even use the typical military hand signs. Closed fist in the air with elbow in 90 degree angle? "Stop". Stuff like this could easily be replaced with Kinect, away from wasting buttons on the controller that doesnt have many of them anyways.

There are other stuff that could be utilized too, such as leaning based on what your body actually does, but this kind of stuff is sort of on the fine line, cos console gaming often involves just chilling at the couch as opposed to usually sitting upright infront of a monitor like in PC gaming.
    05-24-2013 01:34 PM
    Anybody remember the squad-based shooter, Ghost Recon? You issued commands to your AI teammates using the controller. I imagine that Kinect would offer additional control options for sending commands. That way you could dig through a bunch of menus or just say "squad advance." Kinect only has to do a little bit to have a huge impact on games. I think it would be awesome if I had 3 AI squads and could switch between them using voice while also issuing commands. Anything that keeps me from digging through more menus is a plus.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 05-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    05-24-2013 01:58 PM
    Thought about it, then I kept thinking about how I dislike using game controllers...on top of that there's no white version launching! I only play a few Graphic intensive games (Bethesda) so I could play my games on the Surface Pro with the settings turned down (I'm an old school PC gamer so that doesn't bother me). I also hate the name (I would have preferred something along the lines of 'Live Box' seeing as how they are slowly integrating the Xbox with all Windows Live services) .

On the plus side, the new game cases look great and they finally moved that home button to the top so players won't accidentally open the Xbox guide menu while trying to check their scores on Call of Duty (If I had a dime...) .
    Last edited by clbarker10; 05-24-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    05-24-2013 02:10 PM
    There's anybody remember the squad-based shooter, Ghost Recon? You issued commands to your AI teammates using the controller. I imagine that Kinect would offer additional control options for sending commands. That way you could dig through a bunch of menus or just say "squad advance." Kinect only has to do a little bit to have a huge impact on games. I think it would be awesome if I had 3 AI squads and could switch between them using voice while also issuing commands. Anything that keeps me from digging through more menus is a plus.
    I still have Advanced Warfighter, and have the second as well, though I have yet to play it. They kept the commands basic, there really wasn't much of a menu. It was basically the left and right on the D-Pad selected who you were commanding (when applicable; one mission had you able to command your teammates, a tank, and a chopper, but it was mostly JUST teammates, with maybe a brief appearance of vehicular support). From there, you had a button to switch between Assault and Recon (if your team would attack or wait for you to), up on the D-Pad was advance, and back on the D-Pad was retreat. It was all very basic, and didn't require any kind of complex menu system like you'd find on Unreal, where you'd use the menu to choose one (or all) of your teammates, then give a command (in CtF, you might have Attack, Defend, Follow Me, or Freelance).
    05-24-2013 02:27 PM
    Thought about it, then I kept thinking about how I dislike using game controllers...on top of that there's no white version launching! I only play a few Graphic intensive games (Bethesda) so I could play my games on the Surface Pro (with the settings turned down but hey I'm an old school PC gamer so that doesn't bother me). I also hate the name (I would have preferred something along the lines of 'Live Box' seeing as how they are slowly integrating the Xbox with all Windows Live services) .

On the plus side, the new game cases look great and they finally moved that home button to the top so players won't accidentally open the Xbox guide menu while trying to check their scores on Call of Duty (If I had a dime...) .
    Really? I think my cousin did that on occasion, but I don't recall having issues with the Guide button. I don't like the thought that I will need to stretch more for it to check things (be they messages or the time). I certainly don't hate controllers, either. They might break or wear out, but I don't like the thought of flailing or yelling to play games.
    05-24-2013 02:29 PM
    It's been a really long time since I've played GRAW but man I thought it was awesome.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    05-24-2013 02:33 PM
    I guess you're forgetting about many of the stuff that are less "core features". Kinect doesn't have to replace moving, shooting and things like this in fast paced titles like CoD. One idea that I got from the press conference especially with COD:Ghosts in mind would be controlling the dog. Isn't that how they do it in real life too? You vocally command the dog. For squeezing the trigger you would still do just that, just on the controller.

Other things could be some quick commands given in these games, they could even use the typical military hand signs. Closed fist in the air with elbow in 90 degree angle? "Stop". Stuff like this could easily be replaced with Kinect, away from wasting buttons on the controller that doesnt have many of them anyways.

There are other stuff that could be utilized too, such as leaning based on what your body actually does, but this kind of stuff is sort of on the fine line, cos console gaming often involves just chilling at the couch as opposed to usually sitting upright infront of a monitor like in PC gaming.
    This already happened YEARS ago. On NASCAR 06: Total Team Control, they had mic functionality. You could talk into the mic, and do things like call out pit strategies, teammate commands (like drafting), or switch cars (a feature of that game was that you could change to a teammate's car--great for getting your whole team to the front or in the same place to work together). Granted, the mic tended to read sneezing as a curse word (and you could get fined for it in the game, which was cool but frustrating), but it was a neat feature, and that remains my favorite of the NASCAR games I have played.

I agree that dog commands (And maybe the arm commands for teammates) is cool, but I still think that there might have been more of a responsiveness problem with the original Kinect that would have caused problems. It definitely struggled identifying some actions, and it suffered from interference issues at times as well when people walked across the screen or something (it had trouble reading when you were waving your arm to sign in as well). My problem isn't what the Kinect WILL do with its second iteration, but more what it would have been capable of in these popularized genres like FPS. I just don't think that the first iteration would have handled things well, as we saw with the Star Wars Kinect complaints, where you'd have a delay in your actions.

Like I said though, my issue is more with whether I WANT to do these things or not. I don't like that I have to pay an extra fee of $100+ for something I might entirely opt out of. It is a meaningful price hike, and it very well will affect when (and if) I get the console. If it comes out at $500, I won't be getting it for a while. If it's $400, I'll be on the fence (might wait until my following birthday, in May 2014). If it's $400, and they had a $300 option without the Kinect, I'd be all over it at launch.
    05-24-2013 02:37 PM
    It's been a really long time since I've played GRAW but man I thought it was awesome.
    Yeah, I really liked it when I got it at release. I re-purchased it because the game hadn't awarded me some campaign Achievements maybe a year or two back, and I am nearing the end of the campaign again, though I haven't played it in a few months. Playing now, it can REALLY be frustrating to get teammates to do things the right way, and you really see that the A.I. in that game is more punishing that that of the popular titles. Parts of G.R.A.W. are harder on normal than the highest setting on Call of Duty and Halo, at times. On its highest setting, G.R.A.W. is plain brutal.
    05-24-2013 02:39 PM
    Oh yes, I was a Call of Duty addict since Modern Warfare 2 and put in more hours than most...finally got tired of the same old things, unbalanced game-play, and various ways kids play online. My point is that I would constantly check the scores during a match and those damn buttons were right next to each other. I knew many fellow gamers who experienced this problem as well.

I prefer a mouse over any controller any day.

Really? I think my cousin did that on occasion, but I don't recall having issues with the Guide button. I don't like the thought that I will need to stretch more for it to check things (be they messages or the time). I certainly don't hate controllers, either. They might break or wear out, but I don't like the thought of flailing or yelling to play games.
    05-24-2013 03:31 PM
    im trading in my xbox 360 S and everything with it accessories and 20 sumthing games for the xbox one
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    05-24-2013 04:12 PM
433 ... 45678 ...