So, who's getting an Xbox One?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As of right now, no. Microsoft sounds like it is doing its best impersonation of a more-expensive EA Online Pass. That Online Pass kept me from buying games from EA for the entire 3 years it was implemented (they recently were smart enough to cancel it). If Microsoft does as it is speculated, and locks games to the console, I'll be passing. Ruining the used games market, the rental market, and making sharing games with friends a hassle is a ridiculous thing I could not pay to support. If this happens on the level that is speculated (when you borrow a disc, you have to pay retail to play the game), then I'll stick with my 360.

Honestly, as of now, this console is better hardware and worse software support. Yeah, the task-switching OS is nice, but I think that the controller is a downgrade in the looks department (hate the placement of the Guide button). Requiring (and, thus, charging for) a Kinect is moronic--I don't want one right now, so making me pay an extra $100-150 for an undesirable accessory is a joke. Making the Kinect a requirement to OPERATE the console (making it possible to spy on users, as they have filed patents for) is just disgusting. No backwards compatibility (and, therefore, no Halo) is just dumb, considering Halo basically sold the first console on its own.

I'm not going to say "no," just yet, but the things that are speculated HAVE to change to get me to buy in. I've been on LIVE for 10+ years, and I've been waiting for good things with this console, but I saw 0 at the announcement. I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt due to lack of hard facts about this thing right now, but they've offered nothing compelling so far. A Halo TV series isn't worth losing used games, privacy, convenience, and money.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No interest at all until they clear up the confusion about borrowing friends games, buying 2nd hand. The bulk of the fancy TV stuff is 99% guaranteed to only function properly in the USA in the foreseeable future so that's of no interest either.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No interest at all until they clear up the confusion about borrowing friends games, buying 2nd hand. The bulk of the fancy TV stuff is 99% guaranteed to only function properly in the USA in the foreseeable future so that's of no interest either.

IDK, HDMI in (US) is still HDMI in (outside US). I don't see why it would only be within US... Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if MS went with HDMI in (over separate runner cards) to be compatible, out of the gate, with the widest variety of compatibility, be it different cable/satellite companies, or different countries.

Last edited:

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure I will be getting One (along with a new tv come Xmas....going to be an expensive season). Will see what Sony and MS show/say at E3 as I am mainly looking at it for games but also know I would use the extra tv features of the One where I don't care about the social media stuff Sony was touting. I'm mainly an online multiplayer gamer so I always have high speed internet and like having the background connection features as well.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Re someones above post (which I forgot to quote):

IMO the controller looks awesome is an improvement on the best controller already out there. As far as Kinect, I think its potential will be reached far more with the new version and MS was smart to include it so developers will know its there to enhance games when it works to do so. Illumiroom also looks very cool.

Last edited:

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, no. Microsoft sounds like it is doing its best impersonation of a more-expensive EA Online Pass. That Online Pass kept me from buying games from EA for the entire 3 years it was implemented (they recently were smart enough to cancel it). If Microsoft does as it is speculated, and locks games to the console, I'll be passing. Ruining the used games market, the rental market, and making sharing games with friends a hassle is a ridiculous thing I could not pay to support. If this happens on the level that is speculated (when you borrow a disc, you have to pay retail to play the game), then I'll stick with my 360.

Honestly, as of now, this console is better hardware and worse software support. Yeah, the task-switching OS is nice, but I think that the controller is a downgrade in the looks department (hate the placement of the Guide button). Requiring (and, thus, charging for) a Kinect is moronic--I don't want one right now, so making me pay an extra $100-150 for an undesirable accessory is a joke. Making the Kinect a requirement to OPERATE the console (making it possible to spy on users, as they have filed patents for) is just disgusting. No backwards compatibility (and, therefore, no Halo) is just dumb, considering Halo basically sold the first console on its own.

I'm not going to say "no," just yet, but the things that are speculated HAVE to change to get me to buy in. I've been on LIVE for 10+ years, and I've been waiting for good things with this console, but I saw 0 at the announcement. I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt due to lack of hard facts about this thing right now, but they've offered nothing compelling so far. A Halo TV series isn't worth losing used games, privacy, convenience, and money.

I agree with the major concerns such as used games and the privacy issues with Kinect always having to be plugged in, that's why I only use my Kinect when I am going to use otherwise its not plugged in.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have never laughed and cried so much in a single thread! If you think the PS4 is a better console than the Xbox One, then you are stoned. There is absolutely no advantage of having a PS4 over an Xbox One. But I'm sure as hell I can name you a thousand advantages of having an Xbox over a PS4!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
IDK, HDMI in (US) is still HDMI in (outside US). I don't see why it would only be within US... Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if MS went with HDMI in (over separate runner cards) to be compatible, out of the gate, with the widest variety of compatibility, be it different cable/satellite companies, or different countries.

Haha, what? He doesn't mean HDMI. He means the lack of IPTV stuff.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never laughed and cried so much in a single thread! If you think the PS4 is a better console than the Xbox One, then you are stoned. There is absolutely no advantage of having a PS4 over an Xbox One. But I'm sure as hell I can name you a thousand advantages of having an Xbox over a PS4!

If you're an Action/RPG person, the PlayStation will probably be the better option. They get a LOT of exclusives in that area.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re someones above post (which I forgot to quote):

IMO the controller looks awesome is an improvement on the best controller already out there. As far as Kinect, I think its potential will be reached far more with the new version and MS was smart to include it so developers will know its there to enhance games when it works to do so. Illumiroom also looks very cool.

No. Just no.

The controller has one meaningful improvement, in my mind--the thumbstick grips. However, I don't like the movement of the Guide button, might be a little tougher to reach. I'm also not sure how those new buttons will function as replacements for Start and Back, we'll see. I assume the D-Pad will be fine, but I don't like the indentation around it.

As for that Kinect thing, it's the dumbest move they made, bar none. In my mind, it is worse than any used game fiasco. For starters, this FORCES you to pay an extra $100-150 for something many won't use. I have not gotten a Kinect, and I don't want to get this one. I don't want to pay a premium for an accessory that I will not benefit from. Let me buy the thing in my own time.

The main problem, though, is the privacy concerns. There are a couple of "spying" articles for this tech. Microsoft filed one patent related to it already. They're looking for the opportunity to look at how many people are in a room. What it would do is put a limit on viewers for a rental of a movie (or TV show, I assume). So, say you pay for a 3-person license for a movie. If a fourth person walks in, it will stop your movie and make you buy a license to allow for 4 viewers. Beyond invading one's privacy (no pun intended), it's a massive headache for buyers if it happens. What, a family member walked in the living room to sit and play on a phone while others watch a movie, so I have to pay an extra $3 for my relative to sit in the living room and not watch the movie?

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the Kinect as an accessory anymore, it is coming bundled with the unit because it needed for the voice commands to work. It is now part of the system and is no longer a separate accessory.
I doubt anyone is going to let MS spy on us in that regard, it would be a major invasion into our homes and will not be tolerated. It will not be implemented, there are watchdog organizations that will be waiting to punch on them if this would happen.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Being connected to the internet is a bit misleading, from how I understand it MS is giving the developers control over the cloud integration and it is possible that the developers can offload some of the processes to the cloud for computing so the Xbox won't have to do as much, or to push the game further maybe? Anyway in a case like this you would need to be connected in a single player session, but I doubt this will be the norm any time soon, it may be something that develops over time though.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The main problem, though, is the privacy concerns. There are a couple of "spying" articles for this tech. Microsoft filed one patent related to it already. They're looking for the opportunity to look at how many people are in a room. What it would do is put a limit on viewers for a rental of a movie (or TV show, I assume). So, say you pay for a 3-person license for a movie. If a fourth person walks in, it will stop your movie and make you buy a license to allow for 4 viewers. Beyond invading one's privacy (no pun intended), it's a massive headache for buyers if it happens. What, a family member walked in the living room to sit and play on a phone while others watch a movie, so I have to pay an extra $3 for my relative to sit in the living room and not watch the movie?

Mein Gott, tin foil hat in heavy use...

So you mean that rental movies are restricted to family under four persons? LoL

Has anyone said that you have to have Kinect on all the time? Or if so, should it be pointing where? To the wall?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mein Gott, tin foil hat in heavy use...

So you mean that rental movies are restricted to family under four persons? LoL

Has anyone said that you have to have Kinect on all the time? Or if so, should it be pointing where? To the wall?

Hes referring to a wild rumour started by one of the notorious anti MS websites as I remember seeing it myself then dismissing it immediately. If you rent a movie you rent a movie its not like a piece of software that requires a user license. The whole thing just screams BS as soon as you read it.
And no you don't have to have Kinect on all the time but you instantly lose a lot of the functionality of the console - when its on though it is always on and there isn't a way to disable the mic like you can with the current Kinect. Which im sure means that all conversation are recorded by MS on their servers then passed onto the CIA, FBI, MI5 and Interpol. Just don't mention the word BOMB or you'll have an agent at your door. :wink:

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Which im sure means that all conversation are recorded by MS on their servers then passed onto the CIA, FBI, MI5 and Interpol. Just don't mention the word BOMB or you'll have an agent at your door. :wink:

I wonder how Keith manages with web cam on laptop. Maybe some tin foil to cover it...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As for that Kinect thing, it's the dumbest move they made, bar none. In my mind, it is worse than any used game fiasco. For starters, this FORCES you to pay an extra $100-150 for something many won't use. I have not gotten a Kinect, and I don't want to get this one. I don't want to pay a premium for an accessory that I will not benefit from. Let me buy the thing in my own time.

Did you even see the presentation?

Imagine being mid way through a multiplayer game with a mate, you nail him with an awesome kill, and just being able to say "Xbox Snap Skype", "xbox skype dave", then being able to taunt dave, all without taking your fingers off the controller.

Or being able to snap in IE, and search for a youtube video showing you a section of the game your playing.

Even without kinect gaming, having a 1080p camera and voice control opens up lots of interesting possibilities to enhance the game your playing.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Did you even see the presentation?

Imagine being mid way through a multiplayer game with a mate, you nail him with an awesome kill, and just being able to say "Xbox Snap Skype", "xbox skype dave", then being able to taunt dave, all without taking your fingers off the controller.

Or being able to snap in IE, and search for a youtube video showing you a section of the game your playing.

Even without kinect gaming, having a 1080p camera and voice control opens up lots of interesting possibilities to enhance the game your playing.

Why would I Skype Dave when I can be in a party with Dave and be constantly taunting his lack of skill. 2 why do I want to talk to my tv. The whole concept of Kinect to me is just a gimmick I just want to turn on my console play a game online/offline. Don't force me to have to have something I could care nothing about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077