So, who's getting an Xbox One?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why would I Skype Dave when I can be in a party with Dave and be constantly taunting his lack of skill. 2 why do I want to talk to my tv. The whole concept of Kinect to me is just a gimmick I just want to turn on my console play a game online/offline. Don't force me to have to have something I could care nothing about.

Luddites are out in force over this one.

If you've never used a Kinect then you cannot seriously comment on its uses. I got mine the day of release and I use it all the time as it is. It may seem like a gimmick at a glance but when you use it to its potential its such a timesaver and really refreshing to use. The upgraded Kinect basically multiplies what you can already do by a factor of 10 and the imagination of the developers.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would I Skype Dave when I can be in a party with Dave and be constantly taunting his lack of skill. 2 why do I want to talk to my tv. The whole concept of Kinect to me is just a gimmick I just want to turn on my console play a game online/offline. Don't force me to have to have something I could care nothing about.

And you can just turn on console and play games. Complaining because the X1 has features you won't use is ridiculous.

There are features on Windows Phone I don't use, such as Office, do I go around complaining... "I just want a phone I can make calls on, don't force me to have features I don't care about!!"

If you haven't figured it out, MS is building the X1 to be the central entertainment hub for families. Yes, you can play games like you always have, but you (and others in your family) can do a lot of other things like browse, watch TV, Skype, etc.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Updated the OP. For those people who think the box looks ugly I'd remind you that in the conference they said they specifically designed it to "fit into your home entertainment system" which I think it does. The only thing that concerns me is that it's quite a bit bigger than the current Xbox and a year or two down the line they'll probably come up with one that's smaller that might fit in better, but that's a minor thing.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
And you can just turn on console and play games. Complaining because the X1 has features you won't use is ridiculous.

There are features on Windows Phone I don't use, such as Office, do I go around complaining... "I just want a phone I can make calls on, don't force me to have features I don't care about!!"

If you haven't figured it out, MS is building the X1 to be the central entertainment hub for families. Yes, you can play games like you always have, but you (and others in your family) can do a lot of other things like browse, watch TV, Skype, etc.

1 you missed my point, of having to pay for an accessory that I don't want the complaints were to explain why I don't want it I nor my family need it. Up till now we weren't having to pay for an accessory we don't need. 2 don't use Skype, and can browse now on the 360. Watching tv only works now if you have Comcast. So again if these features fit your life great have at it but those of us who they don't why make us pay extra for an accessory?

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
1 you missed my point, of having to pay for an accessory that I don't want the complaints were to explain why I don't want it I nor my family need it. Up till now we weren't having to pay for an accessory we don't need. 2 don't use Skype, and can browse now on the 360. Watching tv only works now if you have Comcast. So again if these features fit your life great have at it but those of us who they don't why make us pay extra for an accessory?

Are you sure you need to pay for that accessory? I could imagine that Microsoft wants as many people as possible to buy Xbox One for they living room, even folks that may not play (or having children so small that they don't play YET).
So I'll bet the the actual cost what we are paying for that Kinect sensor is minimal because MS is not trying to make profit on it, it wants to spread it everywhere. My guess is that we are not paying even the amount of MSs manufacturing cost. It could be even less.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There is of course nothing stopping you from not getting an xbox one and therefore you have no complaints. If current generation suits you fine then stay with it. MS and all the games publishers aren't suddenly going to stop developing for the most commonly used console in the world.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you need to pay for that accessory? I could imagine that Microsoft wants as many people as possible to buy Xbox One for they living room, even folks that may not play (or having children so small that they don't play YET).
So I'll bet the the actual cost what we are paying for that Kinect sensor is minimal because MS is not trying to make profit on it, it wants to spread it everywhere. My guess is that we are not paying even the amount of MSs manufacturing cost. It could be even less.

even if it is minimal is that still not a cost to be paid. If Microsoft is taking a loss which at this point is speculation, why not offer one without it thus offsetting how much is a loss on those consoles sold?

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

If you've never used a Kinect then you cannot seriously comment on its uses. I got mine the day of release and I use it all the time as it is. It may seem like a gimmick at a glance but when you use it to its potential its such a timesaver and really refreshing to use. The upgraded Kinect basically multiplies what you can already do by a factor of 10 and the imagination of the developers.

okay almighty smart one, when did I say I never used a Kinect? When in fact I have, thus why I can say I have no use for one.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Kinect will no longer be an "accessory." It has been designed to be an integral part of the way the XBOX ONE functions.

Just like the hard drive is no longer an accessory. It's integral to the console.

Why is this important?

When a developer is making a game, they often want to reach as wide an audience as possible (for their genre). They may have great ideas for features that would required the use of the hard drive or Kinect sensors, but can't include them because they know that not everyone has those accessories.

When they can actually plan a game knowing everyone has these, they can actually make these parts of the game instead of half-assed add-ons.

It's not for everyone. Some people hate change and don't like the idea of games becoming anything more than they are now.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
There is of course nothing stopping you from not getting an xbox one and therefore you have no complaints. If current generation suits you fine then stay with it. MS and all the games publishers aren't suddenly going to stop developing for the most commonly used console in the world.

wow you just love to jump to assumptions. I never claimed that this will stop me from buying one. Only complaining that I don't need it and I would rather have a cheaper version that doesn't offer Kinect.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
@Winning guy it wouldn't let me quote you. So you make very valid points of which I can't complain with. If/when all games utilities Kinect then it is a must have or you will not be able to play games. I for one don't mind change what I mind is forcing people into it. Which is why I have never complained about this before, there were games that used Kinect and I didn't buy those games. Others did but at least we all had the choice. Now there is no choice there's only have or have not, which has been my only complaint this entire thread no choice for the consumer.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you even see the presentation?

Imagine being mid way through a multiplayer game with a mate, you nail him with an awesome kill, and just being able to say "Xbox Snap Skype", "xbox skype dave", then being able to taunt dave, all without taking your fingers off the controller.

Or being able to snap in IE, and search for a youtube video showing you a section of the game your playing.

Even without kinect gaming, having a 1080p camera and voice control opens up lots of interesting possibilities to enhance the game your playing.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but that's not me. I've never used Skype in my life (set it up for an aunt ONCE). The OPTION is totally fine, but if I'm not going to do that stuff, but if I don't want to use the Kinect, why should I be forced to buy it? That's just ridiculous. Say this thing is $500. I won't be paying that price, at least not for a while. If they had it at $400 without the Kinect, I'd be game for buying it early on, then I might add the Kinect for $100-150 down the road. Giving folks the option to buy an accessory like this is a big deal. If I don't want to use it, I should have to pay for it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I have used it. I haven't used it a LOT, but I've played a little with it. It's definitely fun in the right setting, but that doesn't mean forcing me to pay an extra $100 for it is reasonable.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not for everyone. Some people hate change and don't like the idea of games becoming anything more than they are now.

I don't have a problem with change. I have a problem with FORCED change. This kind of change bothers me, because they're forcing you to use your console in a way you might not want or need. Well, you might not be FORCED to use it in these manners, but you're paying to do it whether you want to or not. For me, it's the same as with their business--it's all about money. I'd rather have a lower cost than a Kinect right now. Especially with the matter that we won't have a LOT of games at launch (what with the 100% lack of backwards compatibility), the Kinect's usefulness will be limited for me. I wouldn't want to play a sports game with the Kinect, except maybe racing games. I wouldn't want to play shooters with it. All of the neat navigational functions are great and all, but I don't watch movies, and I don't have Netflix, so it's all a bunch of stuff that doesn't benefit the core gamers' desired uses.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
wow you just love to jump to assumptions. I never claimed that this will stop me from buying one. Only complaining that I don't need it and I would rather have a cheaper version that doesn't offer Kinect.

Sorry. I Wasn't trying to make any assumptions I just cant see what the issue is. Even if you only ever use it to turn the xbox on with your voice log in to your profile and launch your game then when your done playing telling it to go to tv, its still an improvement over the current system. How can you not want something that makes your life simpler? That's something I just cant understand from people making complaints that its a gimmick being forced on them. Its not a gimmick anymore because its part of the console. Its progress.

The point I was trying to get at is with all the functions that Kinect gives you with the XboxOne if you take it away your just left with a very expensive upgrade to the 360

Lets say for instance that you wont use the Kinect at launch and MS provided a Xbox One without Kinect. You will still switch it on manually and use your controller as you do now to do everything ignoring all the extra functions. Then a game comes along that you've just got to have and play on but it requires Kinect functions would you rather;
A - Already have it pay $60 for the game and use it straight away
B - Skip your must have game because it needs Kinect
C - Realise the game is now going to cost you $160 and have to pay more than you would have to at console launch.

Just curious to know what you would do. I know for me I would go with option A every time.

Last edited:

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I Wasn't trying to make any assumptions I just cant see what the issue is. Even if you only ever use it to turn the xbox on with your voice log in to your profile and launch your game then when your done playing telling it to go to tv, its still an improvement over the current system. How can you not want something that makes your life simpler? That's something I just cant understand from people making complaints that its a gimmick being forced on them. Its not a gimmick anymore because its part of the console. Its progress.

The point I was trying to get at is with all the functions that Kinect gives you with the XboxOne if you take it away your just left with a very expensive upgrade to the 360

Lets say for instance that you wont use the Kinect at launch and MS provided a Xbox One without Kinect. You will still switch it on manually and use your controller as you do now to do everything ignoring all the extra functions. Then a game comes along that you've just got to have and play on but it requires Kinect functions would you rather;
A - Already have it pay $60 for the game and use it straight away
B - Skip your must have game because it needs Kinect
C - Realise the game is now going to cost you $160 and have to pay more than you would have to at console launch.

Just curious to know what you would do. I know for me I would go with option A every time.

No worries. First off I don't believe the voice commands make it simpler. For instance some things I use everyday like my phone and laptop take voice commands, but its simpler to do it directly then have the voice command not work properly at times. Now maybe this version of the connect will not have these issues then I could say that's nice, but I'm not still sold that it would be simpler then just pushing the Xbox button. Also on these particular examples we probably both agree it has a lot of personal preference in the matter. Because its not hard to do either way.

On your issue of a must have game that has to have a Kinect. I honestly don't know that I would play it. Example I loved Wii tennis and bowling but after awhile it lost its appeal because you couldn't just sit down relax and play the game. This to me is where the gimmick comes in. In certain settings like friends are over, or a party or your just in the mood those type of devices provide good entertainment. However if your just wanting to sit down and enjoy your video game then it because an annoyance. Because you can't when you have to interact with the Kinect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett