So, who's getting an Xbox One?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
To an extent, sure. However, it wouldn't matter how many people owned the Kinect if you were making a fast-paced title. Call of Duty would have NO SHOT at working on the first-gen Kinect. If it was all about the widest audience, exclusives wouldn't exist.

I guess you're forgetting about many of the stuff that are less "core features". Kinect doesn't have to replace moving, shooting and things like this in fast paced titles like CoD. One idea that I got from the press conference especially with COD:Ghosts in mind would be controlling the dog. Isn't that how they do it in real life too? You vocally command the dog. For squeezing the trigger you would still do just that, just on the controller.

Other things could be some quick commands given in these games, they could even use the typical military hand signs. Closed fist in the air with elbow in 90 degree angle? "Stop". Stuff like this could easily be replaced with Kinect, away from wasting buttons on the controller that doesnt have many of them anyways.

There are other stuff that could be utilized too, such as leaning based on what your body actually does, but this kind of stuff is sort of on the fine line, cos console gaming often involves just chilling at the couch as opposed to usually sitting upright infront of a monitor like in PC gaming.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Anybody remember the squad-based shooter, Ghost Recon? You issued commands to your AI teammates using the controller. I imagine that Kinect would offer additional control options for sending commands. That way you could dig through a bunch of menus or just say "squad advance." Kinect only has to do a little bit to have a huge impact on games. I think it would be awesome if I had 3 AI squads and could switch between them using voice while also issuing commands. Anything that keeps me from digging through more menus is a plus.

Last edited:

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thought about it, then I kept thinking about how I dislike using game controllers...on top of that there's no white version launching! I only play a few Graphic intensive games (Bethesda) so I could play my games on the Surface Pro with the settings turned down (I'm an old school PC gamer so that doesn't bother me). I also hate the name (I would have preferred something along the lines of 'Live Box' seeing as how they are slowly integrating the Xbox with all Windows Live services) .

On the plus side, the new game cases look great and they finally moved that home button to the top so players won't accidentally open the Xbox guide menu while trying to check their scores on Call of Duty (If I had a dime...) .

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There's anybody remember the squad-based shooter, Ghost Recon? You issued commands to your AI teammates using the controller. I imagine that Kinect would offer additional control options for sending commands. That way you could dig through a bunch of menus or just say "squad advance." Kinect only has to do a little bit to have a huge impact on games. I think it would be awesome if I had 3 AI squads and could switch between them using voice while also issuing commands. Anything that keeps me from digging through more menus is a plus.

I still have Advanced Warfighter, and have the second as well, though I have yet to play it. They kept the commands basic, there really wasn't much of a menu. It was basically the left and right on the D-Pad selected who you were commanding (when applicable; one mission had you able to command your teammates, a tank, and a chopper, but it was mostly JUST teammates, with maybe a brief appearance of vehicular support). From there, you had a button to switch between Assault and Recon (if your team would attack or wait for you to), up on the D-Pad was advance, and back on the D-Pad was retreat. It was all very basic, and didn't require any kind of complex menu system like you'd find on Unreal, where you'd use the menu to choose one (or all) of your teammates, then give a command (in CtF, you might have Attack, Defend, Follow Me, or Freelance).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thought about it, then I kept thinking about how I dislike using game controllers...on top of that there's no white version launching! I only play a few Graphic intensive games (Bethesda) so I could play my games on the Surface Pro (with the settings turned down but hey I'm an old school PC gamer so that doesn't bother me). I also hate the name (I would have preferred something along the lines of 'Live Box' seeing as how they are slowly integrating the Xbox with all Windows Live services) .

On the plus side, the new game cases look great and they finally moved that home button to the top so players won't accidentally open the Xbox guide menu while trying to check their scores on Call of Duty (If I had a dime...) .

Really? I think my cousin did that on occasion, but I don't recall having issues with the Guide button. I don't like the thought that I will need to stretch more for it to check things (be they messages or the time). I certainly don't hate controllers, either. They might break or wear out, but I don't like the thought of flailing or yelling to play games.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess you're forgetting about many of the stuff that are less "core features". Kinect doesn't have to replace moving, shooting and things like this in fast paced titles like CoD. One idea that I got from the press conference especially with COD:Ghosts in mind would be controlling the dog. Isn't that how they do it in real life too? You vocally command the dog. For squeezing the trigger you would still do just that, just on the controller.

Other things could be some quick commands given in these games, they could even use the typical military hand signs. Closed fist in the air with elbow in 90 degree angle? "Stop". Stuff like this could easily be replaced with Kinect, away from wasting buttons on the controller that doesnt have many of them anyways.

There are other stuff that could be utilized too, such as leaning based on what your body actually does, but this kind of stuff is sort of on the fine line, cos console gaming often involves just chilling at the couch as opposed to usually sitting upright infront of a monitor like in PC gaming.

This already happened YEARS ago. On NASCAR 06: Total Team Control, they had mic functionality. You could talk into the mic, and do things like call out pit strategies, teammate commands (like drafting), or switch cars (a feature of that game was that you could change to a teammate's car--great for getting your whole team to the front or in the same place to work together). Granted, the mic tended to read sneezing as a curse word (and you could get fined for it in the game, which was cool but frustrating), but it was a neat feature, and that remains my favorite of the NASCAR games I have played.

I agree that dog commands (And maybe the arm commands for teammates) is cool, but I still think that there might have been more of a responsiveness problem with the original Kinect that would have caused problems. It definitely struggled identifying some actions, and it suffered from interference issues at times as well when people walked across the screen or something (it had trouble reading when you were waving your arm to sign in as well). My problem isn't what the Kinect WILL do with its second iteration, but more what it would have been capable of in these popularized genres like FPS. I just don't think that the first iteration would have handled things well, as we saw with the Star Wars Kinect complaints, where you'd have a delay in your actions.

Like I said though, my issue is more with whether I WANT to do these things or not. I don't like that I have to pay an extra fee of $100+ for something I might entirely opt out of. It is a meaningful price hike, and it very well will affect when (and if) I get the console. If it comes out at $500, I won't be getting it for a while. If it's $400, I'll be on the fence (might wait until my following birthday, in May 2014). If it's $400, and they had a $300 option without the Kinect, I'd be all over it at launch.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been a really long time since I've played GRAW but man I thought it was awesome.

Yeah, I really liked it when I got it at release. I re-purchased it because the game hadn't awarded me some campaign Achievements maybe a year or two back, and I am nearing the end of the campaign again, though I haven't played it in a few months. Playing now, it can REALLY be frustrating to get teammates to do things the right way, and you really see that the A.I. in that game is more punishing that that of the popular titles. Parts of G.R.A.W. are harder on normal than the highest setting on Call of Duty and Halo, at times. On its highest setting, G.R.A.W. is plain brutal.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, I was a Call of Duty addict since Modern Warfare 2 and put in more hours than most...finally got tired of the same old things, unbalanced game-play, and various ways kids play online. My point is that I would constantly check the scores during a match and those damn buttons were right next to each other. I knew many fellow gamers who experienced this problem as well.

I prefer a mouse over any controller any day.

Really? I think my cousin did that on occasion, but I don't recall having issues with the Guide button. I don't like the thought that I will need to stretch more for it to check things (be they messages or the time). I certainly don't hate controllers, either. They might break or wear out, but I don't like the thought of flailing or yelling to play games.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
First, that is a "plausible scenario" described by a retailer. Nothing looks to be set in stone yet, which is why Microsoft hasn't come out with details yet. Second, nowhere does this say there won't be a system set up to sell anywhere other than at a retailer such as Gamestop. I would be fairly livid if something like that were to go down... But something tells me, if that did happen, it's more of a "this is what everyone will be doing" kind of thing and eventually everyone will be going that direction. Or, this could be the fall of Xbox as a gaming console, depending on how they pull this off and if Sony isn't doing the same thing.

Agree with you on this..... There is so much MS is hold back. They are holding their cards close. Makes me wonder if Sony are gonna pull the same thing.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter what's being held back. Microsoft already gave the new console a bad rep with the lack/confusing information. Also not being able to play a single player game offline will cause the Xbox to lose millions of sales

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter what's being held back. Microsoft already gave the new console a bad rep with the lack/confusing information. Also not being able to play a single player game offline will cause the Xbox to lose millions of sales

No, MS did not give it a bad rep. People who believe every rumor and fixate on them created a false reputation. Its already been cleared that you don't need to be online to play a single player game, so just stop with that already.

Just from what MS has told us, this new Xbox blows PS4 out of the water. If you don't want ADDED functionality, then why bother getting a new console anyways. The rest of us are excited with all the new features, including improved gaming.

People need to stop whining and freaking out over dumb rumors. This bullsh!t is seriously getting old.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! This is the most intelligent comment on the article...

"The sheer collective stupidity of gamers everywhere is breathtaking. You guys get your knickers in a knot over rumours, nothing more. This culture of self-absorbed hand-me-everything-on-a-platter-right-now attitude is just amazing to behold.

The ability to take minimal information, twist it, hype it, whinge about it, cry about it, get angry about it, then turn it around and blame (insert company of choice) is truly inspiring. Well done tools.

The rest of us (seems like a minority these days) will patiently wait for more information before making informed decisions." -ZipZapRapReply

The release of the X1 is still half a year away, do you think maybe they are still working out the details?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I will be getting a Xbox One, just not sure when. Games are not a big deal to me, but all the other new and updated features have me super excited. :grin:

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
No, MS did not give it a bad rep. People who believe every rumor and fixate on them created a false reputation. Its already been cleared that you don't need to be online to play a single player game, so just stop with that already.

You figure MS would be aware of all these "rumors" floating about and would address them in their reveal. These rumors are doing more damage than good. Not saying anything, and having journalists/bloggers ask after the conference rather than tackling it head on is the worst thing you can do. If they don't come clear with it by E3, then there is reason to believe that something fishy is going on.

Just from what MS has told us, this new Xbox blows PS4 out of the water. If you don't want ADDED functionality, then why bother getting a new console anyways. The rest of us are excited with all the new features, including improved gaming.

Oh I don't know...so I can play GAMES? The 360 dropped the ball when it came to exclusives. The only notable ones being Forza, Gears of War, and Halo. The PS3 has/had Uncharted, Demon Souls, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, and more. They say they are going to have 14 new IPs, but how many of those will be sustained through the life cycle of the console, and how many of those are going to be "Kinect Dance Off Extreme!"?

Also, pot meets kettle, because Sony hasn't even revealed their console and everything it can do, yet you're deeming the "X1" the console that "blows the PS4 out of the water".

People need to stop whining and freaking out over dumb rumors. This bullsh!t is seriously getting old.

If they had the balls, they would address they would have addressed these rumors head on, given it's been half a year of this stuff. As the former MS creative director once said, "Deal with it!"

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
With all the ps3 exclusives which supposedly make it better which console has been selling more than any other for at least the past 20 months? With all the new stuff the One does with voice, TV, Skype, adding blu ray, not to mention new exclusives and the inevitable next Halo game that will generate hype just by being announced, and that is only going to continue the sales trend. Only fanboys on sites like this will be counting pixels and teraflops while regular people will be buying the Xbox One and sitting back and enjoying its capabilities. And don't forget cloud computing which could increase its capabilities years down the road at no extra charge. The rumors mean nothing and are really just people trying to bash MS instead of waiting for the full reveal at E3 LIKE THEY SAID PEOPLE SHOULD.

The One is going to be awesome, anyone who doubts that is living in a dream world like The Matrix. :)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You figure MS would be aware of all these "rumors" floating about and would address them in their reveal. These rumors are doing more damage than good. Not saying anything, and having journalists/bloggers ask after the conference rather than tackling it head on is the worst thing you can do. If they don't come clear with it by E3, then there is reason to believe that something fishy is going on.

Oh I don't know...so I can play GAMES? The 360 dropped the ball when it came to exclusives. The only notable ones being Forza, Gears of War, and Halo. The PS3 has/had Uncharted, Demon Souls, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, and more. They say they are going to have 14 new IPs, but how many of those will be sustained through the life cycle of the console, and how many of those are going to be "Kinect Dance Off Extreme!"?

Also, pot meets kettle, because Sony hasn't even revealed their console and everything it can do, yet you're deeming the "X1" the console that "blows the PS4 out of the water".

If they had the balls, they would address they would have addressed these rumors head on, given it's been half a year of this stuff. As the former MS creative director once said, "Deal with it!"

Lol, so right back to your point. If Sony hasn't released everything about their console, should Microsoft have to release everything about theirs? No, because no company should release information they are not ready to just because some crazy hacks out their spill all kinds of rumors and speculate from their couch. If that was the case, companies would have to disclose details years in advance of actual release.

Sony did the same kind of "tease" of their product, but yet they get a free pass? Now who is being the hypocrite.

Exclusives are just that, exclusives. They don't make or break a console. Most people that are gung ho about gaming enough for exclusives will buy both consoles anyway. Its the large family of games and the gaming community that makes a console. And both Xbox and PS share that.

What X1 has over PS4, is the whole Microsoft portfolio. SkyDrive, Skype, Windows, Xbox Music and Videos, Kinect, SmartGlass, and many other features that completely expand the reach of the Xbox One beyond just a gaming console.

When you add on top of that the TV and Sports integration what do you get? An entire entertainment ecosystem. Sony simply does not have that at all with the PS4. They have a really good game system, that's it. And that's all many gamers need. But that audience is small compared to the audience the X1 can attract.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh ya, and Play Stations exclusive, Gran Turismo, isn't even coming out for PS4 right away. In fact GT6 which is supposed to be released for PS3 soon won't be available on PS4 for while. However, Forza 5 will be launched the day of the Xbox One launch. And having played both Forza and Gran Turismo, I'll take Forza any day. Its much more fun to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb