So, who's getting an Xbox One?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
For someone who has been tooting the whole, "You don't know..." factor, I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't know if MS will succeed this generation with the same audience. Who would have thought that the PS3 would have fallen off the cliff compared to their success from the PS2? Who would have thought that the Wii would win last gen's console war?

I've already addressed this..."I'll sit and wait for E3 to see what games they have, but like I said, I'm gonna stay being a skeptic. By then, they better have concrete answers on everything from used games to the whole "online" only stuff." Talk about selective reading.

And I've already heard you. But you continue to come in here and act like they don't have sh!t for Xbox One and how much better PS4 is and MS has never had the good exclusives, yada yada yada. If you are "waiting" then why whine about it and actually WAIT to see what they say.

What does being a third party gamer have to do with Xbox Music, Skydrive, etc? You should be calling yourself more of a "casual" gamer rather than a third party gamer. You don't see much difference if you choose to buy CoD, Dishonored, Madden, AC, Bioshock on either console. A third party gamer is not really going to care about those features you just mentioned. They just want to play games. Period.

OMG, are you serious? If a third party gamer doesn't care about exclusives because all their games are available on either console, then they are going to pick a console based on other features. For some, that was the Blu-Ray player in the PS3, for others, that was the MS portfolio with SkyDrive, Windows Integration, and other added features. You really think that gamers only use the console to play games? You really think every gamer is just some low life in their moms basement that has nothing else to do except play games? That right there shows how unwilling you are to look outside this tiny little box you have imagined for every gamer in the world.

There's a reason why it's called "console wars". Most people do not fork out money for both. Yes there are a lot of casuals who will play CoD and Halo, and that is why these games sell the most. But if you think the hardcore gamer only encompasses a "sliver" of the market, then companies wouldn't be having high budgets for games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Bioshock, etc. Uncharted 2 alone cost 20 million to make. There would not be enough of a profit return to justify spending much to make a game like that in the first place if the audience was so small.

Again, I never said MOST people fork out money for both, I said HARDCORE GAMERS often fork out money for both because they are that into games, therefore their market share is often share between both platforms. Just like most car enthusiasts like myself have more than one car. Hardcore gamers do represent a sliver of the market compared to the entire global market. Do you not understand that there are other people in this world that have either never played a video game, or at least never bought a video game console? These are people the Xbox One can attract. I personally just got into console gaming 3 years ago.

There are 7.088 billion people on earth. PS3 and Xbox 360 each sold about 77 million units (keep in mind some people have both and/or more than one). That accounts for 2.2% of the worlds population. Apple has sold over 250 million iPhones, that's 100 million more units than PS3 and Xbox 360 combined. And that's for an emerging technology. Microsoft has sold over 630 million licenses of just Windows 7 alone. So yes, that group of hardcore gamers that account for just a portion of the total game consoles sold, are a SLIVER of the potential market. It is clear you don't see the market as anyone other than your gaming community which is exactly why you don't run Microsoft's Xbox department.

Yes, I'm sure their "research and knowledge" propelled their Surface and WP sales...

What have I said here that is nothing but criticism? Every generation is different, and it's not guaranteed that MS will win the third party audience. I give them a good shot at the casual audience that encompasses people who are excited for the Kinect stuff. However, it wouldn't matter much if the third party audience is lost. The 360 currently owns that audience, but ask Sony how that went when they transitioned from the PS2 to the PS3.

Nothing is guaranteed in any market, that is why MS has brought sooooo much more to the Xbox with the X1. It creates a larger target audience. If they can grab at least what they have now of the gaming community, and then add even more non-gamers or casual gamers, then yes they will succeed. And you honestly think that their gaming situation is going to be worse than what they have with the Xbox 360? The current Xbox is sub-par what the PS3 is when you compare specs and according to you games, yet they still greatly succeeded in sharing the market and leading it for sometime compared to the PS3.

And I will reiterate this once more, that conference was a joke. Mom, dad, little Jacob are not watching this. The gamers and those into tech are. Why don't you "step outside" WP for a while, and take a look at the negative reactions MS is getting right now, or would you prefer I link a bunch of blogs and websites? A lot will be hinging on MS to do some great things at E3, but once again, their recent history suggests otherwise.

But hey, if you want a console that's an all around entertainment hub, go for it. I'm going to stick to the more powerful console that I know has already stated their main audience is gamers. As I said earlier on, I could care less about sales. If they want my dollar, they better give me some games. That simple.

The conference was not a joke, your blinded obsession with games is the joke. I was LOOKING for what they announced. I already know that they will bring it when it comes to games. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize they will obviously bring the games. I wanted to see what else they will bring with the new Xbox. What they showed at the conference is the features that are new and expand their market reach. And no, mom, Dad, and little Jacob were not at the conference. But they watch the news sometimes, and guess what was discussed on the news broadcast? Oh yes, the new TV features etc that Microsoft announced during the conference.

But I forgot, the only people that matter are the gamers. Everyone else can keep picking their nose and use their sh!tty cable boxes.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The average game player is in his mid-thirties.

Do you think most "hardcore" gamers are that age?

The people that have the most time to care that deeply about video games are pretty young, and aren't the majority.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
80% of hardcore gamers will abandon the XBox platform entirely. Casual gamers and non-gamers might be interested in the XB1, but they have alternatives with the Apple TV and Google TV.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Time to get this thread back on topic. The question is who's getting an XBOX ONE.

Me!! And hopefully 2 of them!

Unless the rumored Xbox mini is true. It would be sweet to have the X1 in my main living area but then have access to it through mini xboxes around the house.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Me!! And hopefully 2 of them!

Unless the rumored Xbox mini is true. It would be sweet to have the X1 in my main living area but then have access to it through mini xboxes around the house.

Lack of Kinect on the Mini's makes the idea weird, considering it's "mandatory controller" for the X1.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't heard the rumor about an X1 mini, just the 360 mini rumor. So far Ive seen nothing to make me want to switch to Playstation from Xbox so pretty sure will be getting the One. Since MS stated they will be investing 1billion $ into games, I don't think there will be a lack of games :) I am mainly an online fps and mmorpg player. Cant wait to see whats in store at E3. I think it should quiet down a lot of the complainers (except for the diehard PS fanboys).

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The average game player is in his mid-thirties.

Do you think most "hardcore" gamers are that age?

The people that have the most time to care that deeply about video games are pretty young, and aren't the majority.

Funny thing, I was a hardcore gamer from the early Command & Conquer PC days to Call of Duty until I was 25 and then I dropped that lifestyle...the funny part is that I recently read an article (don't remember where It was) that showed the ages for hardcore gamers generally range between 12-24 years of age...now isn't that a coincidence? I now consider myself a casual gamer but off and on. I will still play titles like Elder Scrolls and Fallout and multiplayer games like Borderlands with my cousin but my days of online gunning and **** talking are over. It was a good run.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing, I was a hardcore gamer from the early Command & Conquer PC days to Call of Duty until I was 25 and then I dropped that lifestyle...the funny part is that I recently read an article (don't remember where It was) that showed the ages for hardcore gamers generally range between 12-24 years of age...now isn't that a coincidence? I now consider myself a casual gamer but off and on. I will still play titles like Elder Scrolls and Fallout and multiplayer games like Borderlands with my cousin but my days of online gunning and **** talking are over. It was a good run.

Just my thoughts! I'm not +24 yet, but turning 24 this year with a first kid coming up later this year. The last year I've noticed a signifigant change in my gaming, I'm still very interested but a lot more casual than before. This is also why I'm considering a console now, having been a hardcore PC guy the last decade.

It was indeed a good run, time and place for everything, but I guess I passed the time of hardcore gaming :p

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site
im trading in my xbox 360 S and everything with it accessories and 20 sumthing games for the xbox one

Yep..I'll be trading in my limited edition halo 4 Xbox plus all the games and accessories as well...I hope the price isn't to steep but I will fork it out regardless..

What date is E3??????????????????? any hints on the '15 exclusive' games?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep..I'll be trading in my limited edition halo 4 Xbox plus all the games and accessories as well...I hope the price isn't to steep but I will fork it out regardless..

What date is E3??????????????????? any hints on the '15 exclusive' games?

Im keeping mine and linking it up to my PC monitor. I like geometry wars too much to just trade the console in for a massively reduced price.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is very anecdotal, but surprised me anyways.

I went to this Finnish webstore (actually they do have some brick & mortars nowadays as well) that sells all kinds of tech. I went to the gaming consoles-section and checked what were the most sold items from that category. As background info, the website is taking preorders for both the X1 and the PS4, both priced at 999€ with the note that pricing and availability will be fixed as soon as they are known. Now, would think that it's mostly just some really hardcore people who would preorder this much beforehand even without the pricing being known. According to many media channels, "no hardcore gamer will get the X1". Surprisingly, the most sold product recently (I would guess maybe the last week, last 30 days seems like a stretch) is the Xbox One. PS4 is on the fourth spot in the most sold-listing.

For the record, I'll just paste the top 15 they've listed as the most sold:

Suosituimmat

Interestingly the top 2-10 are pretty much PS3 products and accessories, also interesting to see how the PS3 is still selling very well. That said, it's pretty nice when with 170€ you get the base console and a blu-ray player and you can very easily extend the memory later on, and the extended HDD is actually on the 7th spot. Xbox accessories hold many of the later spots, but interestingly no variations of 360 are on the top. That said, they sell a crapton of different variations so this could be the reason why, when people buy all the different bundles, none of the single variations sells that much alone

Another very interesting detail is that the Xbox One says like "Xbox One entertainment center/system", while the PS4 says "gaming console" (rough translations).

I also checked this other tech retailer, on their page as well the Xbox One has been preordered more than the PS4, but this store actually has priced the X1 at 799€ and PS4 at 699€. However it's impossible to say anything about numbers, both sites might not have more than like... 3 console difference perhaps, or then it could be a big gap, but at least initially here in Finland the X1 is definitely not being the underdog at preorders.

Last edited:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I am... all night waiting at launch for this big kid. been a gamer since pacman and never stopped wooo!

the xbox one is the final step in microsofts 3 screen ecosystem and the potential is definitely there... heres hoping.

and I LOL at people who say sony is "all about games" sony this gen main concern was pushing to make Blu Ray the HD media standard and frequently bragged about it being the livingrooms total media hub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077