So, who's getting an Xbox One?

xXx9ryan9xXx

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was REALLY planning on getting a PS4 since I use my PS3 far more often to play games, but the catalog of games that Sony showed at E3 just weren't very interesting to me, or the ones that were interesting (IE Watch Dogs, FF XV, KH3) are supported cross-platform. The thing that puts the One over the PS4 in my opinion is that I use my 360 for A LOT more than just games, and my PS3 more for just gaming, but I think that I'll be able to get more out of the One than the PS4 so Microsoft wins this one for me.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was REALLY planning on getting a PS4 since I use my PS3 far more often to play games, but the catalog of games that Sony showed at E3 just weren't very interesting to me, or the ones that were interesting (IE Watch Dogs, FF XV, KH3) are supported cross-platform. The thing that puts the One over the PS4 in my opinion is that I use my 360 for A LOT more than just games, and my PS3 more for just gaming, but I think that I'll be able to get more out of the One than the PS4 so Microsoft wins this one for me.

Same for me. I was looking at getting a PS4 but the games they showed were not that appealing to me except for the cross platform games(I.e Watchdogs, The Division, etc.). I also am a little intrigued with the Kinect. My daughter loves dancing games and I could see having the Kinect makes for more interactive experiences with those type of games.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I also am a little intrigued with the Kinect. My daughter loves dancing games and I could see having the Kinect makes for more interactive experiences with those type of games.

My 3 year old girl plays on dance central 2 now with the original Kinect - shes just big enough for it to register her moves. She loves wreckateer as well and obviously the Sesame street and Disney game. Cant wait for her to enjoy the new round of games that are bound to be of better quality on the Xbox one

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Me too I was very excited but now wondering if I will cancel or not. I know the masses are very happy to retain the disc based system and not to move forward but I am sad to lose a lot of what made this a next gen System. I am leaning towards cancelling it and doing a wait and see now. I am not sure that I am wanting more of the same I think the 360 may last me a few more years.

CoopII

I think in the long run the switch back to old disk drm was a good thing as it allows for the best of both. MS can still proceed with future implementation of the original planned benefits for digital and may even offer better digital pricing in the future as well to sway people to go diskless. The real drawback would be download times rather than disk install though. Who knows, maybe they will figure out a way to convert disk over to purely digital as an option effectively putting back the original system. I plan on downloading my One games in any event.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll be picking one up as soon as the first price drop happens.

I refuse to pay MS's inflated price for a less powerful machine than the ps4yet costs 100 bucks more.

Sony learned in the 7th generation that pricing over 400 is not good for business, now MS has to learn.

And I've been an Xbox owner since the original, biggest xbox fan, but they're messing up.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll be picking one up as soon as the first price drop happens.

I refuse to pay MS's inflated price for a less powerful machine than the ps4yet costs 100 bucks more.

Sony learned in the 7th generation that pricing over 400 is not good for business, now MS has to learn.

And I've been an Xbox owner since the original, biggest xbox fan, but they're messing up.

I didn't participate in the last (or current) gen at all, and I may even be a bit of a MS ******, but you do get a lot more with the X1 than you get with the PS4 as well, which for me justifies the cost for the most parts. Sure, specswise PS4 has a bit of an edge, but I'm talking about the other features. I guess you are one of those who don't want the Kinect bundled in there. I don't think it's the sole reason for the higher price tag, but it's obviously a part of it, though.

That said, the difference in finnish webstores is weirdly smaller than in the US. Whereas in the US it's like 400usd vs. 500 usd, but in Finland it seems to be that PS4 is more expensive in relation. Usually in tech stuff there is no price conversion, so if something costs 400 usd, it will cost 400 euros (so signifigantly more expensive), but the PS4 seems to go for around 450? around here instead, while the X1 goes for that no-conversion 500?, so the difference is even smaller here in Finland..

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I didn't participate in the last (or current) gen at all, and I may even be a bit of a MS ******, but you do get a lot more with the X1 than you get with the PS4 as well, which for me justifies the cost for the most parts. Sure, specswise PS4 has a bit of an edge, but I'm talking about the other features. I guess you are one of those who don't want the Kinect bundled in there. I don't think it's the sole reason for the higher price tag, but it's obviously a part of it, though.

That said, the difference in finnish webstores is weirdly smaller than in the US. Whereas in the US it's like 400usd vs. 500 usd, but in Finland it seems to be that PS4 is more expensive in relation. Usually in tech stuff there is no price conversion, so if something costs 400 usd, it will cost 400 euros (so signifigantly more expensive), but the PS4 seems to go for around 450? around here instead, while the X1 goes for that no-conversion 500?, so the difference is even smaller here in Finland..

Yeah you get more no doubt but for just games, Ms should have made sure that they had the most powerful hardware if they were going to price it higher.

Personally I love my kinect! I play it daily among other games, but to use that as an excuse to jack up the price is bad.

If anything they should have made that optional

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Throw in Sony's inferior camera and there goes the price advantage. Now that Sony went the optional route with their camera it will be a little used accessory and split their base. I know they did it to get the price down but I also think they realized how inferior it was to Kinect so they backed off on promoting it. The whole push to make Kinect optional is based on users experience with Kinect 1 where Kinect 2 is really part of the system now and much improved. Would be a big mistake if MS made it optional.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK, for me the One is a no-brainer over the PS4...

• Continue with my achievements where I left off with the 360
  • Better controller (size/ergonomics)
  • More appealing games (at least of what has been announced)
  • Voice control of cable box / TV
  • Integrated Kinect
  • SmartGlass
  • Less cable clutter in entertainment center

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
IDK, for me the One is a no-brainer over the PS4...

• Multitasking with TV/Skype/Internet/Social/Games
  • Integrated Kinect
  • SmartGlass

You missed a big one :smile:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
  • Multitasking with TV/Skype/Internet/Social/Games
  • Integrated Kinect
  • SmartGlass

You missed a big one :smile:

Pretty much my reasonings too. It's mostly the "off-gaming capabilities" (or perhaps the features that arn't so much about the basic core gaming) that make the X1 interesting for me. I have no interest for a PS4, as I feel it's sort of a ripoff for what it offers outside gaming. While I'm a bit of an MS ******, I wouldn't buy the X1 if it was basically just a Microsoft-branded PS4.

Although the list is lacking a BIG ONE for me, which is probably some nifty integration between other Windows-devices. Well, smartglass was mentioned, but I mean outside that, like easy one click playing of video/music from my PC to the Xbox-kind of things.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much my reasonings too. It's mostly the "off-gaming capabilities" (or perhaps the features that arn't so much about the basic core gaming) that make the X1 interesting for me. I have no interest for a PS4, as I feel it's sort of a ripoff for what it offers outside gaming. While I'm a bit of an MS ******, I wouldn't buy the X1 if it was basically just a Microsoft-branded PS4.

Although the list is lacking a BIG ONE for me, which is probably some nifty integration between other Windows-devices. Well, smartglass was mentioned, but I mean outside that, like easy one click playing of video/music from my PC to the Xbox-kind of things.

There is also the distinct possibility of some W8 app crossovers as well.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There is also the distinct possibility of some W8 app crossovers as well.

I think the possibility is quite big, didn't MS just encourage devs by saying that the best way atm to develop for X1 is to develop for the Modern UI on Windows? Since it's basically the same OS in the background of X1 anyways.

Can't recall where I read this, but apparently it would be very little work to turn a metro app into an X1 app.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The only games i want this fall are going to be on PC (watch dogs, titanfall) I may still get a X1. If i don't day one, i probably will when Halo 5 comes out.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're super tied to having the first out of the box this seems like another MS product that might be worth waiting on. MS has just continued their reputation of "Wait until Service Pack 1" until you buy with Windows 8.1. So far only Win 7 has missed that boat (Win XP, Win Vista and Win 8 certainly qualify). It may be the same way with the XBox One - JMHO.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you get more no doubt but for just games, Ms should have made sure that they had the most powerful hardware if they were going to price it higher.

Personally I love my kinect! I play it daily among other games, but to use that as an excuse to jack up the price is bad.

If anything they should have made that optional

Why do we assume the Kinect is automatically what makes up the price difference? The new Kinect dev kit version is $400, so why isn't the Xbox One $600 if MS needs to charge for the additional hardware? Does anyone complain that they have to pay for what could be assumed to be unused features built into their tablets?

And there are plenty of articles out now that compare previous generation console launch prices to the equivalent in today's dollars due to inflation. Remember that the PS3 launched 7 years ago, and the 360 launched 8 years ago.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Why do we assume the Kinect is automatically what makes up the price difference? The new Kinect dev kit version is $400, so why isn't the Xbox One $600 if MS needs to charge for the additional hardware? Does anyone complain that they have to pay for what could be assumed to be unused features built into their tablets?

And there are plenty of articles out now that compare previous generation console launch prices to the equivalent in today's dollars due to inflation. Remember that the PS3 launched 7 years ago, and the 360 launched 8 years ago.

Well I asked a few Microsoft employees and they all say it's kinect

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786