04-07-2014 03:25 PM
110 1234 ...
tools
    I guess the keyword here is the "DPad", in how many current gen console games do you actually move around with the dpad as opposed to the stick? It's not even rhetoric question as I dont own a current gen console, but if my experience with GameCube is of any relevance, I can't come up with any :D
    05-24-2013 03:59 PM
    I just don't see how you move a character around in an environment without the controller. Even if it were possible using Kinect body movement + voice, what if you have a broken leg or sore throat? I don't see controller-based gaming going away any time soon.
    05-24-2013 04:03 PM
    I guess the keyword here is the "DPad", in how many current gen console games do you actually move around with the dpad as opposed to the stick? It's not even rhetoric question as I dont own a current gen console, but if my experience with GameCube is of any relevance, I can't come up with any :D
    Yeah the D-Pad has been shifted into a different purpose in any game where variation in your movement is needed like Asssassin Creed, but that doesn't mean they can just laze off with the D-PAD like they did on the X360 Controller, up to this day.. it simply sucks, it's no joy to use ever. I really hope the D-PAD on the new controller is as good as it should be.
    The X360 Controller is just great but it's flaws are obvious so the X1 Controller can only be better, hopefully :)
    05-25-2013 11:41 AM
    Well, they have quite radically changed the DPad. I heard someone say something about Nintendo's patent expiring on the DPad, which is why they could "finally" do it properly without paying royalties.
    05-25-2013 12:39 PM
    Well, they have quite radically changed the DPad. I heard someone say something about Nintendo's patent expiring on the DPad, which is why they could "finally" do it properly without paying royalties.
    I hope so, the X360 controller had 8-Way D-Pad, it's terrible and doesn't work, the X1 has a 4-Way D-Pad as far as i can see so it should also be a lot less glitchy and more direct.
    05-25-2013 03:03 PM
    06-06-2013 02:41 PM
    I hope so, the X360 controller had 8-Way D-Pad, it's terrible and doesn't work, the X1 has a 4-Way D-Pad as far as i can see so it should also be a lot less glitchy and more direct.
    The d-pad on the original xbox 360 controllers was terrible. They updated it with a 'pro' controller with the d-pad that you could change from 8-way to 4-way. That one is great and I've been using it for about a year or so now. So much better than my other 360 controllers..
    06-06-2013 02:49 PM
    I'd really like to be able to use it on Windows 8
    06-06-2013 03:21 PM
    Uses a standard usb connection so should be able to.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    06-06-2013 03:36 PM
    It will happen. But it will only work with devices that have wifi.
    06-06-2013 03:36 PM
    Uses a standard usb connection so should be able to.
    Forgot about this. Also this haha. But wireless will be the preferred method if possible.
    06-06-2013 03:37 PM
    any game that you actually call out in, this is going to be an awful feature for games like Halo when people play competitively. Like me and my team on H4 barely ever stop calling out (so like a 9 minute slayer match just straight full of saying where the enemy team is by four people) The directional pad would be awful for this because the D-Pad is used for ordnance drop so you want to give a force direction call out, and you can't just randomly say "Sticky Detonator" or your team might want it, or you can't call out "They Have Overshield" because then you might drop your ordnance early when you don't want to. I think there needs to be a way to shut it off for anything but XBOX Command, or at least have option to shut it off while INSIDE multiplayer games for people who want to opt out.
    I cant see voice commands for multiplayer FPS games where teamwork is a priority - They did try it out in Halo CE but it never went anywhere after that. If your playing as a team and communicating as a team the only thing you want to hear over the mic is where they are, how many and what loadouts they are rocking. Battlefield 3 is another example - I really would like to pass the info on that theres a guy with an rpg camping in the corridor and not suddenly run along and equip my rpg
    06-10-2013 08:01 AM
    Something I've been wondering for a while (havnt had a current-gen console), how are the voice comms done on console games? Do they work with voice activation or push to talk or with what?

I'd figure the controller might have too few buttons for PTT, but if there was push to talk, you could easily eliminate the kinect equipping the RPG when you call out someone else has RPG, as the Kinect could stop taking input/command when you push PTT.
    06-10-2013 08:17 AM
    Something I've been wondering for a while (havnt had a current-gen console), how are the voice comms done on console games? Do they work with voice activation or push to talk or with what?

I'd figure the controller might have too few buttons for PTT, but if there was push to talk, you could easily eliminate the kinect equipping the RPG when you call out someone else has RPG, as the Kinect could stop taking input/command when you push PTT.
    At present it doesn't work with multiplayer games purely for that reason. In skyrim you can navigate menus, change weapons activate spells and such but its single player. Halo CE had it working for reloads weapon changes etc but wasn't active on multiplayer - All you do is call out the command and the Kinect picks it up - it could work I suppose if you had something like hold A button for team talk - hold X button for Kinect commands however its easier to push A to reload as it is to push the button and call out to reload. In competitive games where split second decisions matter there's no substitute for a button press or just talking over the mic when you walk round a corner and into a 5 man team massacre.

Personally im looking forward to giving the new d-pad a workout on the next install of Marvel vs Capcom, analogue sticks just cant compete with the d-pad for pulling off moves in games like that and the 360 d-pad makes my thumb hurt after about 5 minutes.
    06-10-2013 08:31 AM
    From watching the MS press coverage I have a feeling that Kinect voice commands will be a little smoother than they have been in the past. Watching the Project Spark stuff, the guy was talking pretty 'conversationally' with the game in order to do things. Coupled with how the new Kinect seems to be optimized to hear ONLY the voices of those in front of it, I don't think we have to worry about someone yelling 'XBOX, OFF' and turning everyones (and his/her) console off.
    06-10-2013 06:53 PM
    From watching the MS press coverage I have a feeling that Kinect voice commands will be a little smoother than they have been in the past. Watching the Project Spark stuff, the guy was talking pretty 'conversationally' with the game in order to do things. Coupled with how the new Kinect seems to be optimized to hear ONLY the voices of those in front of it, I don't think we have to worry about someone yelling 'XBOX, OFF' and turning everyones (and his/her) console off.
    I agree. They've also optimized it so that it won't "listen" to the TV, so people can watch future xbox events and not have their console freak out when they give the Kinect commands on stage ;)

I was impressed with the fluid voice control for Project Spark. I have to wonder, however, if Kinect is still going to keep the "You are the controller" tagline, or if they are going to rework that to better reflect Kinect augmenting the experience with an actual controller.
    06-10-2013 08:26 PM
    Currently that would be yelling
    "Xbox, settings, turn off, yes."
    ncxcstud likes this.
    06-10-2013 09:00 PM
    The X1 subforum has been pretty quiet lately! We need more juicy news to discuss! :D

Meanwhile I got a weird idea. Early on when at least I wont be affording the Charge & Play-kit or whatever it's called, but my PC (or even Surface if Smartglass is of good use) is a lot closer than the console is to me. So could I hook up the X1 controller to the PC/Surface for power, but have it wirelessly control the X1 :D

Although I don't think that I will run out of the cord on my couch, but I'm sure someone will. Especially when I was at my friends place last weekend with 4 of us playing the Xbox, we had to fiddle around a bit to have those with wired controllers close enough.

But really, if Smartglass on Surface can be used for something nice, even as a "keyboard" for the X1, then I would likely have it on the table right in front of the couch, thus I could just hook up the controller to the Surface for power (since it has a full USB port) and not have to bother having a cord hanging across the living room :D

But I guess chances are that if I hook it to the Surface, it will only control the Surface then and it won't be possible to have it connected to one device while controlling another.
    07-15-2013 05:37 AM
    Theoretically you should be able to do that Coreldan. Unlike the 360 controller, the X1 controller is ALWAYS wirelessly connected. No data (as far as I can tell) is sent through the cord. It acts simply as a power cord.
    07-16-2013 10:00 AM
    I'd assume you could also use a typical USB wall charger to charge the controller while playing on XB1
    07-16-2013 11:09 AM
    Theoretically you should be able to do that Coreldan. Unlike the 360 controller, the X1 controller is ALWAYS wirelessly connected. No data (as far as I can tell) is sent through the cord. It acts simply as a power cord.
    You actually have that backwards. The 360 wireless controller is always wireless, even if you have a play and charge kit connected. With the Xbox One, they specifically pointed out that the cable can carry data.
    Courtney S likes this.
    07-16-2013 11:42 AM
    The X1 subforum has been pretty quiet lately! We need more juicy news to discuss! :D
    Agreed... however I have no new juicy news :(

Anyhow, from a few reviews I read, I wonder how well the independent triger feedback actually feels/works?
    07-25-2013 02:35 PM
    I wouldn't expect much apart from just.. individual rumble motors on each trigger that can generate varying levels of rumble and shiz. I wouldn't actually expect any actual feedback per se.
    07-25-2013 04:03 PM
    I thought the triggers had force feedback as well, so developers could vary the resistance?
    07-25-2013 04:36 PM
    It's possible, but I find that pretty unlikely. Also I dont think I've read that anywhere except on like forums/comments that seemed to have taken the idea a tad far. I'm not much of an engineer, but it sounds really complicated/expensive/prone to break cos it's under so much use.

Rechecking any official'ish remarks about the controller, I find nothing regarding force feedback, just about individual vibration motors. If you find anything suggesting otherwise, please share!
    07-25-2013 04:42 PM
110 1234 ...