04-07-2014 02:25 PM
110 ... 2345
tools
    But what will the controller interpret it as? What if it just goes "oh, USB connection, ima be sending dem datas over on the cable" that really goes nowhere except the outlet?
    Could you then use it to controll your AC, lights, etc..? ;)

JK
    08-16-2013 01:30 PM
    But what will the controller interpret it as? What if it just goes "oh, USB connection, ima be sending dem datas over on the cable" that really goes nowhere except the outlet?
    that's not how the USB standard works
    08-17-2013 04:22 PM
    Just to bump this thread a bit:

1) Default controller only comes wireless. To use it in a wired fashion, you will need the play&charge-kit. Uncertain if data will still continue to move wirelessly and the wire is just used for recharging. However this would seem to imply data moves with the wire if plugged:
    Another convenient improvement is that the controller is both wireless and a wired simply plug it into your console with a micro USB cable and the connection automatically switches to preserve battery life.
    2) Uses AA-size batteries by default

3) Has earned every single piece of hype, 360 controller is already amazing, this one has still been improved upon and is near perfection.

4) Nifty stuff like automatic low power state. Kinect detects if you set the controller on a table while watching a movie for example, putting it into a lower power state and as soon as you pick up the controller again it goes back to normal mode again and ready for action.

I gotta go find my charger for rechargeable batteries, I've lost the batteries though but the charger is still somewhere. I don't see myself getting the play&charge kit immediately (I'll get 2 controllers with the console too), so I'll just hassle with rechargeable ones..
    11-09-2013 06:12 AM
    The first thing woudl bother me. I like the idea of using my smartphone charger plugged into my wall or PC to charge my controller, because I don't know that the cable will be long enough to get from my console to my controller. If you don't HAVE rechargeable batteries anywhere (read: they got lost), I'd spend the money on the Play & Charge over new batteries myself.
    11-09-2013 12:47 PM
    I didn't get a chance to read every comment in the thread, but since the Xbox has WiFi direct, the system can't connect to the controller if there is no WiFi? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
    11-09-2013 01:07 PM
    The first thing woudl bother me. I like the idea of using my smartphone charger plugged into my wall or PC to charge my controller, because I don't know that the cable will be long enough to get from my console to my controller. If you don't HAVE rechargeable batteries anywhere (read: they got lost), I'd spend the money on the Play & Charge over new batteries myself.
    Well, I checked the prices and it seems you can get 4 rechargeable batteries and the charger for 25-30 euros or so. At least around here, most places seem to sell it the play & charge kit for 35€ or so and this would only really cover one of the controller for me. Although early on there wont be much if any split screen co-ops that I would likely play and if there was, I could for the occasion use normal batteries for the second controller.

Hmh, it seems the US Xbox-site lists the play&charge kit at 25usd, which would be like 20 euros or something.. I suppose there is nothing regional about these and I could get this stuff abroad for cheaper..

EDIT: Charging cable in the charger-kit is 9 foot/2,7m long.

I guess at 25€ or so it would be worth it over rechargeable batteries.. gotta keep my eyes peeled.
    11-09-2013 01:08 PM
    I didn't get a chance to read every comment in the thread, but since the Xbox has WiFi direct, the system can't connect to the controller if there is no WiFi? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
    Not sure what you are asking exactly, I believe the very idea of Wifi direct is that it's capable to interacting with the devices itself, regardless of the router. So even if you used an ethernet cable, the controller would communicate with the Xbox's wifi component directly (thus.. wifi direct). That said, I'm not sure if it's wifi direct or some propretiary system..
    11-09-2013 01:14 PM
    Major Nelson has posted on Reddit that the Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct. It's a proprietary connection. The WiFi Direct support is for Smartglass only.
    11-09-2013 01:39 PM
    Not sure what you are asking exactly, I believe the very idea of Wifi direct is that it's capable to interacting with the devices itself, regardless of the router. So even if you used an ethernet cable, the controller would communicate with the Xbox's wifi component directly (thus.. wifi direct). That said, I'm not sure if it's wifi direct or some propretiary system..
    I meant if there was NO internet connection at all.
    11-09-2013 03:01 PM
    Ah, still wouldn't make a difference. Even with laptops your WLAN stays connected to the home Network even if it had no internet access. Wifi direct doesn't use actual internet for anything to my knowledge, but like someone already confirmed, the controllers don't use wifi direct in the first Place.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-09-2013 03:10 PM
    Ah, still wouldn't make a difference. Even with laptops your WLAN stays connected to the home Network even if it had no internet access. Wifi direct doesn't use actual internet for anything to my knowledge, but like someone already confirmed, the controllers don't use wifi direct in the first Place.
    What's the difference between WiFi direct and Bluetooth then?
    11-09-2013 03:12 PM
    WiFi direct is basically a wireless peer-to-peer connection. You don't need the Internet or a router.
    11-09-2013 03:25 PM
    What's the difference between WiFi direct and Bluetooth then?
    Wifi Direct has far more bandwidth.
    11-09-2013 06:51 PM
    Wifi Direct has far more bandwidth.
    and longer range
    11-10-2013 10:28 AM
    Im so excited! :d
    11-12-2013 09:20 AM
    So I picked up a controller with Play and charge last night. The controller feels awesome in my hands and the cable is nice and long. The controller charged up pretty quick too.
    11-17-2013 04:19 PM
    I don't get why they wouldn't make the One's controllers backwards-compatible. It'd be awesome to have them (though expecting rumble trigger support is likely silly) available on my 360.
    11-17-2013 11:13 PM
    Paying $60 bucks for a 100 million dollar controller suddenly seems like a good deal

Xbox One controller cost over $100 million to develop, smell-o-vision and built-in projector were considered
    11-18-2013 10:47 PM
    I was playing with the PS4 controller at work and that thing still feels just like the PS2, extremely uncomfortable. You'd think that a console designed specifically for gaming would at least be comfortable in the hand. I don't get what Sony doesn't understand. Microsoft has done it right with the Xbox 360 controller, nothing even comes close to comfort. Now with the improvements in the Xbox One controller, it really is going to be amazing to hold!
    11-18-2013 11:02 PM
    I don't get why they wouldn't make the One's controllers backwards-compatible. It'd be awesome to have them (though expecting rumble trigger support is likely silly) available on my 360.
    Ha! The rumble trigger feature is very useful in racing applications.
    11-18-2013 11:25 PM
    Ha! The rumble trigger feature is very useful in racing applications.
    Yeah, but I mean they aren't going to be able to get Forza 4 to work with that feature when it didn't exist then.
    11-18-2013 11:52 PM
    Yeah, but I mean they aren't going to be able to get Forza 4 to work with that feature when it didn't exist then.
    Oh i see
    11-19-2013 02:59 AM
    11-19-2013 03:23 AM
    I'm curious... In theory, I suppose you can use a phones wall charger and plug the USB play and charge kit in to charge the controller.... I guess I'm being safe, rather than sorry... I've got the controller charging via my PC's USB port.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation that tells what amperage is OK with the controller.
    11-19-2013 08:15 PM
    One of the reviews seemed to imply that you could use any MicroUSB cable plugged to the console to turn it into a wired console, but that would require quite a bit longer cable than anything I have around here :D

Also, some review estimated like over 25 hours battery life for the controller, Polygon didn't even manage to deplete it before writing the review. Polygon was guessing this would be cos of the nifty feature of the controller going to low-power mode when Kinect detects that it's just on a table or something and not being used.
    11-20-2013 04:45 AM
110 ... 2345