04-25-2014 05:32 PM
43 12
tools
    Does anyone know if windows phone platform is going to support the miracast standare(widi 3.5). These are the small things that annoy me about my Lumia 920. I just bought an LG tv with Miracast and all the new androids have it and windows phone does not . this is not an app issue , but a platform issue.

any one know if this is coming to the platform?
    05-24-2013 10:48 AM
    [what is the protocol used by apps like playto? Will this take its place?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    05-24-2013 11:00 AM
    So, is WiFi-Direct like an ad-hoc connection, but just easier to set up?
    05-24-2013 03:55 PM
    Found my answer...
    Wi-Fi Direct: What You Need To Know | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Wi-Fi Direct is not the same as ad-hoc networking: The most significant difference between traditional ad-hoc wireless networking (traditional peer-to-peer networking) and Wi-Fi Direct is security. In Windows ad-hoc networks, the highest level of security supported is WEP in mixed client environments (Windows 7 will support WPA2 provided all adapters support it, as well). Wi-Fi Direct, as mentioned, supports WPA2. Another difference, Wi-Fi Direct devices can also simultaneously connect to existing wireless networks. More granular control and better discovery of devices also differentiate Wi-Fi Direct from ad-hoc networking.
    05-24-2013 03:59 PM
    Not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about this and wondering if this could be true...

There have been rampant rumors about an XBOX Mini console being released sometime in 2014... From what those rumors have said it is a stand alone device used to stream Netflix, hulu plus, youtube, etc.. (like an Apple TV or a Roku)...

However, WHAT IF (if this is possible through Wi-Fi Direct) that when someone just owns a XBOX Mini - it does exactly what it is rumored to do... but, if it is connected on the same network as a XBOX One, it becomes an extension of the Xbox One...

Thus, you can place it at any TV you'd like and play any of your XBOX One games anywhere.

We already know that the XBOX One just uses discs to initially install the game - The Mini is rumored to not have a disc tray at all...

We know that Microsoft is developing a 'solution' to people to share their games between multiple users in a family/household... Now, instead of buying 2 XBOX Ones, you can buy one XBOX One, and then a Mini (at a lower price) for each TV in your house....

I think of this idea as being similar to what DirecTV is doing with their Genie DVRs...

Could this wild stab in the dark thought that I have come true and would WiFi-Direct make that even more possible?
    05-25-2013 10:06 AM
    Not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about this and wondering if this could be true...

There have been rampant rumors about an XBOX Mini console being released sometime in 2014... From what those rumors have said it is a stand alone device used to stream Netflix, hulu plus, youtube, etc.. (like an Apple TV or a Roku)...

However, WHAT IF (if this is possible through Wi-Fi Direct) that when someone just owns a XBOX Mini - it does exactly what it is rumored to do... but, if it is connected on the same network as a XBOX One, it becomes an extension of the Xbox One...

Thus, you can place it at any TV you'd like and play any of your XBOX One games anywhere.

We already know that the XBOX One just uses discs to initially install the game - The Mini is rumored to not have a disc tray at all...

We know that Microsoft is developing a 'solution' to people to share their games between multiple users in a family/household... Now, instead of buying 2 XBOX Ones, you can buy one XBOX One, and then a Mini (at a lower price) for each TV in your house....

I think of this idea as being similar to what DirecTV is doing with their Genie DVRs...

Could this wild stab in the dark thought that I have come true and would WiFi-Direct make that even more possible?
    The issue you run into here is the lack of Kinect, bundling Kinect with a Xbox mini would be far to expensive for MS and Consumers but the device without Kinect would basically destroy the whole purpose of Kinect bundling with the X1 in the first place, but technically it could work if the signal strength is strong enough.
    05-25-2013 10:25 AM
    Apparently only one of the devices have to be Wifi direct equipped for it to work. This is great news if the X1 is Wifi direct capable, so then it will easily work with anything that has Wifi, right?
    05-31-2013 04:56 AM
    Apparently only one of the devices have to be Wifi direct equipped for it to work. This is great news if the X1 is Wifi direct capable, so then it will easily work with anything that has Wifi, right?
    I'm more interested to see how thus works for Android-WP NFC triggered file transfers.
    05-31-2013 05:19 AM
    Anyway, back on topic. Is WiFi direct WiDi? Because my laptop has that and it allows you to connect to the tv without a cable, basically to extend or duplicate the screen. If this is the case, I guess it would allow for sharing video content from tablets and computer easily. But I could be way off.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    06-03-2013 06:20 AM
    Anyway, back on topic. Is WiFi direct WiDi? Because my laptop has that and it allows you to connect to the tv without a cable, basically to extend or duplicate the screen. If this is the case, I guess it would allow for sharing video content from tablets and computer easily. But I could be way off.
    WiDi is Wireless Display, a standard from Intel.
    06-03-2013 06:34 AM
    WiDi is Wireless Display, a standard from Intel.
    WiDi is a standard that is intended to operate via WiFi direct.
    06-03-2013 07:15 AM
    For what it's worth, they've officially announced Miracast and Wifi-Direct in Windows 8.1 now:

Modern Business in Mind: Windows 8.1 at TechEd 2013
    06-03-2013 11:43 AM
    I want miracast support in Xbox One.
    06-04-2013 06:54 PM
    I want miracast support in Xbox One.
    Yes please!
    06-04-2013 06:55 PM
    I hope that Microsoft/Nokia will give Wifi-Direct (or project my screen or miracast or screen mirroring or compatible Bluetooth software for NFC connection on TV) for compatible windows phones. If Microsoft don't do it then must explain us why the wp8 mobiles (eg: Lumia920) has hardware and can't be fully used. I am waiting for new good news :).
    04-23-2014 12:34 PM
    I hope that Microsoft/Nokia will give Wifi-Direct (or project my screen or miracast or screen mirroring or compatible Bluetooth software for NFC connection on TV) for compatible windows phones. If Microsoft don't do it then must explain us why the wp8 mobiles (eg: Lumia920) has hardware and can't be fully used. I am waiting for new good news :).
    Amongst other things, Miracast requires a new driver model. There's almost no return on investment for Microsoft to spend the time to write drivers for hardware they won't be utilizing much longer anyway. (As anything new will use a Snapdragon 400, 600, or 800 - not the Snapdragon S4 that older devices use).
    04-23-2014 12:40 PM
    In addition to that, the hardware used in most current Windows Phones does not support WiFi-Direct. WiFi-Direct is required for Miracast support so there is no way (driver updates or not) to get Miracast working on those phones. The exceptions are the Lumia 1520, 930, and Icon which use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. That is the only chipset supporting WiFi-Direct that is used in a Windows Phone as far as I know.
    04-23-2014 10:33 PM
    In addition to that, the hardware used in most current Windows Phones does not support WiFi-Direct. WiFi-Direct is required for Miracast support so there is no way (driver updates or not) to get Miracast working on those phones. The exceptions are the Lumia 1520, 930, and Icon which use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. That is the only chipset supporting WiFi-Direct that is used in a Windows Phone as far as I know.
    The snapdragon S4 has built-in support for miracast. Not sure about Wifi-Direct. Regardless, the xbox doesn't support any miracast or wifi-direct playback so the whole point is mute for now :/
    04-25-2014 05:32 PM
43 12