Do not ignore this feature: Wifi-Direct

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Good job on "tearing it apart." I never said that the hardware would give it an advantage. I said that the hardware is better, and that is a selling point, whether you like it or not. I never said the console wouldn't cost more as a result, it certainly did last time. You're basically trying to invalidate my argument with points I never made or disputed. He asked what made the hardware better, and I replied with the fact that the hardware is better. I didn't say what it would or wouldn't mean for the respective consoles, beyond that the superior specs on the PS3 didn't save it in the US, when it came to sales.

So talk about "tearing it apart," all you want, because you didn't offer a single statement that proved what I said false. Better GPU, plain and simple. RAM that is (expected to be) of a higher quality. The last generation showed that Sony will put better hardware into their stuff, even if it means a big loss on hardware sales. I don't see what there is to dispute my statements, because all I did was reply with factual statements about components.

I didn't attempt to tear anything apart. Just making a point that these specs that you have chosen to focus on mean very little in the overall scheme of things when determining if one hardware configuration is "better" or "superior."

Your factual claims excluded this little tidbit...32 MB of ESRAM in the X1. Could mean nothing, or could mean everything, but I will not claim or be told that either configuration is "better" or "superior" at this stage.

Also within this very topic is discussed a hardware interface feature that has the potential to affect the latency of gameplay on cordless controllers for the better. Again, little details that will make a difference in how games are played, and not any one feature on it's own can make either platform to stand out so obviously as a cut and dry winner as you attempt to make it seem.

I will likely own both despite my PS3 having served it's most useful purpose as a Blu-ray player. There is the occasional exclusive that I as a gamer cannot resist.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't attempt to tear anything apart. Just making a point that these specs that you have chosen to focus on mean very little in the overall scheme of things when determining if one hardware configuration is "better" or "superior."

Your factual claims excluded this little tidbit...32 MB of ESRAM in the X1. Could mean nothing, or could mean everything, but I will not claim or be told that either configuration is "better" or "superior" at this stage.

Also within this very topic is discussed a hardware interface feature that has the potential to affect the latency of gameplay on cordless controllers for the better. Again, little details that will make a difference in how games are played, and not any one feature on it's own can make either platform to stand out so obviously as a cut and dry winner as you attempt to make it seem.

I will likely own both despite my PS3 having served it's most useful purpose as a Blu-ray player. There is the occasional exclusive that I as a gamer cannot resist.

In addition to those other hardware architecture differences that could have an impact on performance, there is also the difference of software and how developers can use the hardware.

The 3 part OS on X1 allowing for game devs to use all the hardware power to their liking and allowing fast (near instant) app switching seems pretty compelling over what PS4 is offering so far.

As far as Wifi Direct, I think it was the most logical choice for Microsoft. Bluetooth is not as good as people usually think. Hopefully they will allow us to use the X1 controller with our phones and tablets!

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually, since there is no backwards compatibility in the XBox ecosystem it is now XBox One vs PS4 straight up. And the PS4 may have a huge price advantage due to the mandatory included Kinect on the XBox One. Anyone who thinks price isn't important to consumers only needs to look at the sales of the original Wii and Android Tablets. The original Wii sold like hotcakes (even though most of them quickly became bookends on the bookshelf) and Android tablets started to take off when Google launched the Nexus 7 at $199 - it was a good (not great) quality tablet (1280x800 IPS screen, Tegra 3 quad core CPU and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - a quality version of Android). If the PS4 launches at say $349 (which is not out of the question if since the internals are very similar ) vs. the XBox One at $499 (since it has the extra burden of the mandatory Kinect) then I predict the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One by a large margin. Also, with similar architectures (both systems have an AMD x86 based CPU/GPU) ports from one system to the other probably won't be too hard. Therefore, any exclusives should show up on the other platform as soon as the "exclusivity period (say 6 months)" ends. Finally, being able to access online services like Hulu and Netflix for free on the PS4 vs. XBox Live Gold (even with sales/discounts it is still $40-$50/year) as another cost drag for XBox One. Time will tell.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, stop it already. This is THE WRONG THREAD for this discussion. If you want to talk about the general comparisons, go to the appropriate thread. This thread is to discuss Wi-Fi Direct.

Jsinghroy

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if windows phone platform is going to support the miracast standare(widi 3.5). These are the small things that annoy me about my Lumia 920. I just bought an LG tv with Miracast and all the new androids have it and windows phone does not . this is not an app issue , but a platform issue.

any one know if this is coming to the platform?

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
[what is the protocol used by apps like playto? Will this take its place?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Found my answer...
Wi-Fi Direct: What You Need To Know | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Wi-Fi Direct is not the same as ad-hoc networking: The most significant difference between traditional ad-hoc wireless networking (traditional peer-to-peer networking) and Wi-Fi Direct is security. In Windows ad-hoc networks, the highest level of security supported is WEP in mixed client environments (Windows 7 will support WPA2 provided all adapters support it, as well). Wi-Fi Direct, as mentioned, supports WPA2. Another difference, Wi-Fi Direct devices can also simultaneously connect to existing wireless networks. More granular control and better discovery of devices also differentiate Wi-Fi Direct from ad-hoc networking.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about this and wondering if this could be true...

There have been rampant rumors about an XBOX Mini console being released sometime in 2014... From what those rumors have said it is a stand alone device used to stream Netflix, hulu plus, youtube, etc.. (like an Apple TV or a Roku)...

However, WHAT IF (if this is possible through Wi-Fi Direct) that when someone just owns a XBOX Mini - it does exactly what it is rumored to do... but, if it is connected on the same network as a XBOX One, it becomes an extension of the Xbox One...

Thus, you can place it at any TV you'd like and play any of your XBOX One games anywhere.

We already know that the XBOX One just uses discs to initially install the game - The Mini is rumored to not have a disc tray at all...

We know that Microsoft is developing a 'solution' to people to share their games between multiple users in a family/household... Now, instead of buying 2 XBOX Ones, you can buy one XBOX One, and then a Mini (at a lower price) for each TV in your house....

I think of this idea as being similar to what DirecTV is doing with their Genie DVRs...

Could this wild stab in the dark thought that I have come true and would WiFi-Direct make that even more possible?

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about this and wondering if this could be true...

There have been rampant rumors about an XBOX Mini console being released sometime in 2014... From what those rumors have said it is a stand alone device used to stream Netflix, hulu plus, youtube, etc.. (like an Apple TV or a Roku)...

However, WHAT IF (if this is possible through Wi-Fi Direct) that when someone just owns a XBOX Mini - it does exactly what it is rumored to do... but, if it is connected on the same network as a XBOX One, it becomes an extension of the Xbox One...

Thus, you can place it at any TV you'd like and play any of your XBOX One games anywhere.

We already know that the XBOX One just uses discs to initially install the game - The Mini is rumored to not have a disc tray at all...

We know that Microsoft is developing a 'solution' to people to share their games between multiple users in a family/household... Now, instead of buying 2 XBOX Ones, you can buy one XBOX One, and then a Mini (at a lower price) for each TV in your house....

I think of this idea as being similar to what DirecTV is doing with their Genie DVRs...

Could this wild stab in the dark thought that I have come true and would WiFi-Direct make that even more possible?

The issue you run into here is the lack of Kinect, bundling Kinect with a Xbox mini would be far to expensive for MS and Consumers but the device without Kinect would basically destroy the whole purpose of Kinect bundling with the X1 in the first place, but technically it could work if the signal strength is strong enough.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Apparently only one of the devices have to be Wifi direct equipped for it to work. This is great news if the X1 is Wifi direct capable, so then it will easily work with anything that has Wifi, right?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Apparently only one of the devices have to be Wifi direct equipped for it to work. This is great news if the X1 is Wifi direct capable, so then it will easily work with anything that has Wifi, right?

I'm more interested to see how thus works for Android-WP NFC triggered file transfers.

Goodbyemoff

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic. Is WiFi direct WiDi? Because my laptop has that and it allows you to connect to the tv without a cable, basically to extend or duplicate the screen. If this is the case, I guess it would allow for sharing video content from tablets and computer easily. But I could be way off.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic. Is WiFi direct WiDi? Because my laptop has that and it allows you to connect to the tv without a cable, basically to extend or duplicate the screen. If this is the case, I guess it would allow for sharing video content from tablets and computer easily. But I could be way off.

WiDi is Wireless Display, a standard from Intel.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

WiDi is Wireless Display, a standard from Intel.

WiDi is a standard that is intended to operate via WiFi direct.

xelaio

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I hope that Microsoft/Nokia will give Wifi-Direct (or project my screen or miracast or screen mirroring or compatible Bluetooth software for NFC connection on TV) for compatible windows phones. If Microsoft don't do it then must explain us why the wp8 mobiles (eg: Lumia920) has hardware and can't be fully used. I am waiting for new good news :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb