05-28-2013 05:09 AM
58 123
tools
    2485844-dsc01351-noscale-1024x682.jpg

I noticed the few weird inputs in the back of the new Xbox, to me they looked like those antenna inputs mentioned in the above posts. Finland uses these too, btw.

But it has that xbox logo over them and the two circles seem connected. Is this some propretiary xbox connection thing Im not familiar with due to never owning an xbox before? Or it could be the power input, as I see no other input for power in there?

I was also wondering about a few things regarding this.. from the official site:

Connect your cable or satellite
    box to your Xbox One and
    prepare for lift off. HDMI
    pass-thru enables you to watch
    TV through your Xbox, which
    makes switching inputs seem
    almost pre-historic.1
    1: Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).
    So what's the deal with just the "cable/satellite box". I suppose US has things a bit different, but here basically we have households (like blocks of flats) that might have either antenna or cable TV connection. It usually depends on a few things which the building has. My last 3 apartments have had antenna, but current one has cable. Even if I had the antenna box with HDMI-out, would it not be able to pass through cos it's not "cable/satellite"? Or would it fall more into "supported television tuner"? I understand some features might not work, but would be weird if the TV feed wouldnt work with the passthrough even if my tuner took the feed from antenna rather than cable?

Regardless, I guess the main point is that the xbox won't take the TV connection, but you do need that tuner either in the TV or with a seperate device and it's only as a passthrough with the xbox and it can more or less control it rather than using a seperate remote for the tuner every time. That said.. I dont like to keep the tuner box on unless I'm watching something, so I guess not having it always on would mean I would have to turn it on seperately? That said, it was said that the Kinect has some kinda IR blaster that could work as a "universal remote" and control devices other than itself.

My purchase will widely depend on if any of these cool features actually work outside US, or basically in Finland. It seems like it would as long as my tuner has HDMI-out, but without confirmation there's not much point for me to buy it before.
    Last edited by Coreldan; 05-23-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    05-23-2013 07:28 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2485844-dsc01351-noscale-1024x682.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	34542

I noticed the few weird inputs in the back of the new Xbox, to me they looked like those antenna inputs mentioned in the above posts. Finland uses these too, btw.

But it has that xbox logo over them and the two circles seem connected. Is this some propretiary xbox connection thing Im not familiar with due to never owning an xbox before? Or it could be the power input, as I see no other input for power in there?
    That the power connection
    fpostrow likes this.
    05-23-2013 07:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2485844-dsc01351-noscale-1024x682.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	34542

What is the input next to the Ethernet?
    05-23-2013 10:44 AM
    What is the input next to the Ethernet?
    Looks like optical audio
    05-23-2013 10:50 AM
    Looks like optical audio
    no, I think the optical audio, S/PDIF, is between the HDMI in & out.

Ah, it's an IR port that is next to the network port....
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xb...Console_Design
    From left to right:
    - Power
    - HDMI out
    - S/PDIF connector
    - HDMI in
    - Two USB ports on the back
    - Kinect sensor port
    - IR Port
    - Ethernet port

6c7512066-xbox-one-back-ports_blocks_desktop_large.jpg
    Courtney S likes this.
    05-23-2013 11:19 AM
    So right now I have a low power PC running media center with two tuners, and I do everything through my Xbox 360 (DVR, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, local avi/mp4 streaming, etc). There's no other device in front of my TV since the house is wired for gigabit and the media center PC is in my office (with attached cablecard gear). I don't have any cable boxes and I don't want any. I have three 360s around the house that can all tap into that one media center and all its capabilities. The One looks great, but what I have now is perfection. If it won't take what I'm doing and make it better/faster, then sadly I probably won't get one (teehee pun).
    dgr_874 and jasqid like this.
    05-23-2013 12:18 PM
    You're a fringe/niche customer, you are not who they design a product for
    05-23-2013 12:52 PM
    So right now I have a low power PC running media center with two tuners, and I do everything through my Xbox 360 (DVR, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, local avi/mp4 streaming, etc). There's no other device in front of my TV since the house is wired for gigabit and the media center PC is in my office (with attached cablecard gear). I don't have any cable boxes and I don't want any. I have three 360s around the house that can all tap into that one media center and all its capabilities. The One looks great, but what I have now is perfection. If it won't take what I'm doing and make it better/faster, then sadly I probably won't get one (teehee pun).
    What WOULD be nice if they could use current Media Center tuner sources for Live TV on the "One". I also have a large Windows Media Center setup with a few Xbox 360s and a dedicated HTPC (I was a Windows Media Center MVP for 2010 and 2011 and certified in Windows Media Center from Microsoft). I currently have 12 tuners in my HTPC, it allows almost unlimted flexablity on a DVR and Media Center. It has 100's of Movies and many GB of music on it, I access all web podcasts and even webpages on everything.

With Windows Media player services it could share your content in all your libraries (I am sure MS will support that as it's on Windows 8). Live TV and recorded TV is a different story

Wouldn't be nice if the TV interface on the "One" was a Media Center Exender ? They could do all of it with it....think about it...but, it might be a dream, would love to know more from Microsoft on this side of it..

Dude, get over yourself. Windows Media Center was created by the eHome team at Microsoft, who was created MediaRoom (AT&T Uverse DRV). They had a large team who created this. It is addon part of Windows 8, so it's not a product for a "Fringe/Niche customer" as you think a lot of people use the product.

I've see a lot of your posts, you seem to "THINK" you know everything. LOL
    Rishicash likes this.
    05-23-2013 02:45 PM
    Here is a better pic of the rear connections to help you better understand. Also as long as the OTA Tuner has an HDMI out, then it will work with the Xbox One per MS.

1369161433-xbox-one-4.jpg
    05-23-2013 02:53 PM
    ^^google the number of cable card users, then Google the number of tv households, them Google the number of Xbox's sold. You're an outlier.
    05-23-2013 03:36 PM
    You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, Xbox One is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested, especially since most companies charge for each cable box.

And the fact that the Xbox is the ONLY media device in front of my TV tells me that I'm exactly the customer MS wants.
    05-23-2013 03:39 PM
    You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I fear that Microsoft feels the Media Center ship has sailed. Seems like they've completely forgotten about it. I would actually be shocked if the One even works as a Media Center Extender like the 360 does.

I really wish the One would at least have its own cable card reader and DVR functionality, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Your set up will probably remain the best option out there.
    05-23-2013 03:51 PM
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I fear that Microsoft feels the Media Center ship has sailed. Seems like they've completely forgotten about it. I would actually be shocked if the One even works as a Media Center Extender like the 360 does.

I really wish the One would at least have its own cable card reader and DVR functionality, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Your set up will probably remain the best option out there.
    Yeah I know it's sailed, I expect to ride this out as long as cablecard is offered by my cable company and it's supported by Windows I guess. It's ironic because once support ends for this I guess I'll just cancel cable, which gets rid of much of the new Xbox One TV capabilities. I was just thinking about it, cablecard wasn't ever advertised was it? People were just supposed to buy a media center PC and magically know about renting a cablecard. No wonder it never got popular.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    05-23-2013 04:06 PM
    You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, Xbox One is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested, especially since most companies charge for each cable box.

And the fact that the Xbox is the ONLY media device in front of my TV tells me that I'm exactly the customer MS wants.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions.

Please show me where you learned that Xbox One will not support being a Media Extender device. Or link me to the point in the Xbox One presentation where the speaker stated that this functionality is no longer possible.

All the features in the Xbox One, by design, seem like they would work perfectly if "Live TV" was fed by your HTPC.

All the negative remarks about Xbox One not supporting this are pure speculation. Stop causing your own grief.
    05-23-2013 04:19 PM
    As long as your HTPC has HDMI out, then it should work. The X1 is only switching inputs (i.e. HDMI in, App OS, Game OS, etc.). As for the guide, it would be the local OTA guide, which isn't a new thing.
    05-23-2013 04:59 PM
    the guide isn't OTA, its probably from the internet. In the example they had the directTV guide showing.
    05-23-2013 06:48 PM
    the guide isn't OTA, its probably from the internet. In the example they had the directTV guide showing.
    I wasn't saying that it would be from OTA, but yet an OTA guide for that respective area. Just like a digital OTA tuner does (STB or built-in a TV).
    05-23-2013 07:00 PM
    I think you guys are jumping to conclusions.

Please show me where you learned that Xbox One will not support being a Media Extender device. Or link me to the point in the Xbox One presentation where the speaker stated that this functionality is no longer possible.

All the features in the Xbox One, by design, seem like they would work perfectly if "Live TV" was fed by your HTPC.

All the negative remarks about Xbox One not supporting this are pure speculation. Stop causing your own grief.
    I wasn't clear in my initial criticism. I assumed since they were retiring Media Center and the new Xbox was allegedly going to be the end all be all media/TV convergence device that they would basically have moved a newly designed Media Center directly into the Xbox. It runs a modified Windows 8 core after all, I mean I can't imagine it being some huge feat since media center runs right now in Windows 8. But sadly they didn't. If you think about it, and consider only the TV part of it, it's not really anything new conceptually. Hopefully I'm wrong and they blow me away, but it doesn't look good so far. I had a google TV for awhile to test and it was cool. But it just didn't do what I wanted. It just overlayed over an existing system.

Now, if it's going to be an extender then okay maybe I'll try one out. But that's not really an amazing improvement. It will just do what I'm already doing, but a little fancier.
    05-23-2013 11:03 PM
    I have a very similar setup and similar requirements from the One. Having said that I agree Media Center needs to go. It's redundant to boot xBox only to boot into Media Center via the extender functionality. MS wants xBox to be the hub, so do I. At the same time the One NEEDS to be able to pull in the stream from a Win8 Media Center machine. Anything less would be less than my current setup. I don't want a crappy cableco box sitting next to the One in my media cabinet. I don't have one now, and I won't be getting one. If they don't plan support for integrating this form of LiveTV then I won't be moving to the One and will stick with my current setup. If they do, I'll take 2 Ones on day 1.
    05-24-2013 12:09 PM
    IR blaster? It will communicate over hdmi.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    05-24-2013 12:17 PM
    Now, if it's going to be an extender then okay maybe I'll try one out. But that's not really an amazing improvement. It will just do what I'm already doing, but a little fancier.
    Actually, it would be a significant improvement. Right now, there are some high bitrate blu-ray rips which the XBOX 360 has trouble playing back as an extender. With the faster CPU in the Xbox One, this would never happen. (especially given the fact that it plays blu-rays).

Also the split screen view would be pretty cool for it.
    05-24-2013 12:18 PM
    I have this exact same setup and agree with you completely. I think if more people knew of this capability, more would use it. I bought my Xbox 360 S to use as an extender and consider gaming to be an added benefit. The cost of the Xbox and quad-tuner card was the same cost of renting a DVR from my provider for three years but I have a lot more benefits. However, I curse Microsoft for requiring and charging for Xbox Live account to use the built in features like Netflix and Hulu that the competition offers for free. I'm OK with charging this for gaming use, but not for media viewing that's already built in.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    05-24-2013 12:32 PM
    IR blaster? It will communicate over hdmi.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    Both actually.
    05-24-2013 12:34 PM
    Windows Media Center was created by the eHome team at Microsoft, who was created MediaRoom (AT&T Uverse DRV). They had a large team who created this. It is addon part of Windows 8, so it's not a product for a "Fringe/Niche customer" as you think a lot of people use the product.
    It's important to note that this team was disbanded a long time ago. If you think they're not phasing out WMC, more power to you, but I'd be shocked if the One works as a Media Center Extender, and more shocked if Windows 9 kept WMC. It very much is a niche product, almost entirely because nobody knows it exists (a problem that many of Microsoft's better products have).
    05-24-2013 01:53 PM

I just dumped directv saving me between 130-190 month (depending on Sunday ticket season). I became a cord cutter, added Hulu plus and amazon prime to my Xbox and increased my xfinity internet to blast!. I'll save 100-150 month and get most of what I need through my 360. I setup a HDhome run and get my locals... And really that only for live sports. Hulu plus is like anext day DVR anyway. MS may have given up on MC a bit early. More peeps are dumping traditional pay tv everyday.
    05-24-2013 02:09 PM
58 123