Live TV on XBox One

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't blame the cable box thing on Microsoft, that's entirely because of the cable companies. Microsoft would love to be your cable box.

The smaller set-top may do exactly that in the future if they figure out licensing deals with cable companies.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It would be awesome if the One is RVU compliant! PS3 is rumored to update their consoles. If it was, I could see hiding the main receiver (server - DirecTV Genie) in a closet, along with the modem and just have the One under the TV stand.

What is RVU? You

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know Australia and Thailand use a 72 ohm plug to connect the free to air TV so for those of us that do not have or want pay TV all this TV stuff is pointless. I understand that there a lots of people that are happy to have an all in one solution but it looks to me that Microsoft once again has forgotten about those outside the USA. The only place in Asia where streaming video is possible is Singapore. The rest of Asia has such poor connection speed its pointless.
thCA3E4L1E.jpgthCA3E4L1E.jpg 72 Ohm plug.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know Australia and Thailand use a 72 ohm plug to connect the free to air TV so for those of us that do not have or want pay TV all this TV stuff is pointless. I understand that there a lots of people that are happy to have an all in one solution but it looks to me that Microsoft once again has forgotten about those outside the USA. The only place in Asia where streaming video is possible is Singapore. The rest of Asia has such poor connection speed its pointless.
View attachment 34520View attachment 34520 72 Ohm plug.
you never know... They could have a built in antenna or an optional box that allows for over the air to HDMI... Trust me, if MS doesn't think of it, a third party will. Hell I did, maybe I should file for a Paton?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
2485844-dsc01351-noscale-1024x682.jpg

I noticed the few weird inputs in the back of the new Xbox, to me they looked like those antenna inputs mentioned in the above posts. Finland uses these too, btw.

But it has that xbox logo over them and the two circles seem connected. Is this some propretiary xbox connection thing Im not familiar with due to never owning an xbox before? Or it could be the power input, as I see no other input for power in there?

I was also wondering about a few things regarding this.. from the official site:

Connect your cable or satellite
box to your Xbox One and
prepare for lift off. HDMI
pass-thru enables you to watch
TV through your Xbox, which
makes switching inputs seem
almost pre-historic.[SUP]1[/SUP]

1: Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

So what's the deal with just the "cable/satellite box". I suppose US has things a bit different, but here basically we have households (like blocks of flats) that might have either antenna or cable TV connection. It usually depends on a few things which the building has. My last 3 apartments have had antenna, but current one has cable. Even if I had the antenna box with HDMI-out, would it not be able to pass through cos it's not "cable/satellite"? Or would it fall more into "supported television tuner"? I understand some features might not work, but would be weird if the TV feed wouldnt work with the passthrough even if my tuner took the feed from antenna rather than cable?

Regardless, I guess the main point is that the xbox won't take the TV connection, but you do need that tuner either in the TV or with a seperate device and it's only as a passthrough with the xbox and it can more or less control it rather than using a seperate remote for the tuner every time. That said.. I dont like to keep the tuner box on unless I'm watching something, so I guess not having it always on would mean I would have to turn it on seperately? That said, it was said that the Kinect has some kinda IR blaster that could work as a "universal remote" and control devices other than itself.

My purchase will widely depend on if any of these cool features actually work outside US, or basically in Finland. It seems like it would as long as my tuner has HDMI-out, but without confirmation there's not much point for me to buy it before.

Last edited:

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 34542

I noticed the few weird inputs in the back of the new Xbox, to me they looked like those antenna inputs mentioned in the above posts. Finland uses these too, btw.

But it has that xbox logo over them and the two circles seem connected. Is this some propretiary xbox connection thing Im not familiar with due to never owning an xbox before? Or it could be the power input, as I see no other input for power in there?

That the power connection

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So right now I have a low power PC running media center with two tuners, and I do everything through my Xbox 360 (DVR, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, local avi/mp4 streaming, etc). There's no other device in front of my TV since the house is wired for gigabit and the media center PC is in my office (with attached cablecard gear). I don't have any cable boxes and I don't want any. I have three 360s around the house that can all tap into that one media center and all its capabilities. The One looks great, but what I have now is perfection. If it won't take what I'm doing and make it better/faster, then sadly I probably won't get one (teehee pun).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So right now I have a low power PC running media center with two tuners, and I do everything through my Xbox 360 (DVR, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, local avi/mp4 streaming, etc). There's no other device in front of my TV since the house is wired for gigabit and the media center PC is in my office (with attached cablecard gear). I don't have any cable boxes and I don't want any. I have three 360s around the house that can all tap into that one media center and all its capabilities. The One looks great, but what I have now is perfection. If it won't take what I'm doing and make it better/faster, then sadly I probably won't get one (teehee pun).

What WOULD be nice if they could use current Media Center tuner sources for Live TV on the "One". I also have a large Windows Media Center setup with a few Xbox 360s and a dedicated HTPC (I was a Windows Media Center MVP for 2010 and 2011 and certified in Windows Media Center from Microsoft). I currently have 12 tuners in my HTPC, it allows almost unlimted flexablity on a DVR and Media Center. It has 100's of Movies and many GB of music on it, I access all web podcasts and even webpages on everything.

With Windows Media player services it could share your content in all your libraries (I am sure MS will support that as it's on Windows 8). Live TV and recorded TV is a different story

Wouldn't be nice if the TV interface on the "One" was a Media Center Exender ? They could do all of it with it....think about it...but, it might be a dream, would love to know more from Microsoft on this side of it..

You're a fringe/niche customer, you are not who they design a product for

Dude, get over yourself. Windows Media Center was created by the eHome team at Microsoft, who was created MediaRoom (AT&T Uverse DRV). They had a large team who created this. It is addon part of Windows 8, so it's not a product for a "Fringe/Niche customer" as you think a lot of people use the product.

I've see a lot of your posts, you seem to "THINK" you know everything. LOL

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
^^google the number of cable card users, then Google the number of tv households, them Google the number of Xbox's sold. You're an outlier.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You're a fringe/niche customer, you are not who they design a product for

You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, Xbox One is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested, especially since most companies charge for each cable box.

And the fact that the Xbox is the ONLY media device in front of my TV tells me that I'm exactly the customer MS wants.

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I fear that Microsoft feels the Media Center ship has sailed. Seems like they've completely forgotten about it. I would actually be shocked if the One even works as a Media Center Extender like the 360 does.

I really wish the One would at least have its own cable card reader and DVR functionality, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Your set up will probably remain the best option out there.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I fear that Microsoft feels the Media Center ship has sailed. Seems like they've completely forgotten about it. I would actually be shocked if the One even works as a Media Center Extender like the 360 does.

I really wish the One would at least have its own cable card reader and DVR functionality, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Your set up will probably remain the best option out there.

Yeah I know it's sailed, I expect to ride this out as long as cablecard is offered by my cable company and it's supported by Windows I guess. It's ironic because once support ends for this I guess I'll just cancel cable, which gets rid of much of the new Xbox One TV capabilities. I was just thinking about it, cablecard wasn't ever advertised was it? People were just supposed to buy a media center PC and magically know about renting a cablecard. No wonder it never got popular.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You're right, the setup I have probably wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Oh wait, practically nobody knows a setup like that is possible and everyone who's come over has said they wished they had it. Don't mistake obscurity for bad design/tech. Media Center is an amazing product that wasn't executed well. But I guarantee you there is nothing on the market now with such flexibility, power AND simplicity once it's configured. Unless I'm mistaken, Xbox One is a more advanced version of Google TV, but still basically the same product. If it still requires a cable box I'm not interested, especially since most companies charge for each cable box.

And the fact that the Xbox is the ONLY media device in front of my TV tells me that I'm exactly the customer MS wants.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions.

Please show me where you learned that Xbox One will not support being a Media Extender device. Or link me to the point in the Xbox One presentation where the speaker stated that this functionality is no longer possible.

All the features in the Xbox One, by design, seem like they would work perfectly if "Live TV" was fed by your HTPC.

All the negative remarks about Xbox One not supporting this are pure speculation. Stop causing your own grief.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as your HTPC has HDMI out, then it should work. The X1 is only switching inputs (i.e. HDMI in, App OS, Game OS, etc.). As for the guide, it would be the local OTA guide, which isn't a new thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte