05-30-2013 06:03 PM
66 123
tools
    That is why you need to be connected to install/register a game. The one-week period is after a connection has been established.

I don't think game rentals are going to be possible with Xbox One. The only way for game rentals to work is if they have a "rental code". You need to enter the rental code to install/register the game. If you use the code, your friends won't be able to use it because the code is already used.

Therefore, the scenario you described is not possible. :)
    With my idea rentals would work. When the game disk is burned it gets a unique ID. You burn a range of disks with a range of IDs that are a "rental" range. Those games will still install but the X1 will require the disk stay in the machine.

This is all assuming I'm correct about that Blu-ray ID thingy.... I can't remember where I read about that.... :)

Either way it's fun talking about this stuff, no?
    05-28-2013 03:24 PM
    Ahh, it's called the "Pre-recorded Media Serial Number" it can be burned into the burst cut area of the disk.
    Reflexx likes this.
    05-28-2013 03:36 PM
    If people whine enough, they'll be left with a solution that they REALLY don't like.

Development costs are increasing. That's just a fact.

If people want to to get rid of these solutions, then how about this?

Imagine if developers decided to sell their digital copies for $60, but their physical copies for $90?
    05-28-2013 04:45 PM
    the general public and media most have/are probably blowing most of this topic out of proportion. Micosoft already debunked most of the rumors surrounding it as well and said details are not close to being finalized.

how I think the whole Used games / Always Online will work.

- your game installs to your HDD and you won't need to insert the game disc.

- the network checks every 24 hours for verification... without the network checking and not needing the disc you could buy one copy and share it with as many people as possible.

- network sees the disk being installed and played on another system so it would disable the game on your HDD.

- If you have no internet then you will be required to have the game disc in the drive for validations (same way the current 360 and installs work)

simple, easy and makes sense.
    05-28-2013 05:16 PM
    A lot of AAA games cost so much because the devs have gotten used to ******* the money away hiring hollywood actors for cut scenes,i goto the movies to see hollywood actors; If you must have cut scenes use unknowns who can act.
    That's a tiny portion of expenses. A really tiny portion.

A lot of times, these Hollywood actors are working at low rates just because they want to be in the game.
    05-28-2013 06:26 PM
    With my idea rentals would work. When the game disk is burned it gets a unique ID. You burn a range of disks with a range of IDs that are a "rental" range. Those games will still install but the X1 will require the disk stay in the machine.

This is all assuming I'm correct about that Blu-ray ID thingy.... I can't remember where I read about that.... :)

Either way it's fun talking about this stuff, no?
    It is fun.

And best of all, it's not whiny like you find in some places.

WPCentral... where people can be level headed and brainstorm solutions!
    tk-093 likes this.
    05-28-2013 06:28 PM
    the general public and media most have/are probably blowing most of this topic out of proportion. Micosoft already debunked most of the rumors surrounding it as well and said details are not close to being finalized.

how I think the whole Used games / Always Online will work.

- your game installs to your HDD and you won't need to insert the game disc.

- the network checks every 24 hours for verification... without the network checking and not needing the disc you could buy one copy and share it with as many people as possible.

- network sees the disk being installed and played on another system so it would disable the game on your HDD.

- If you have no internet then you will be required to have the game disc in the drive for validations (same way the current 360 and installs work)

simple, easy and makes sense.
    I think you are correct. Only addition to be made would be games that could be played fully in offline. Those games need to have disc in the drive all the time. Then everything is covered. Because if not, then you could install the game to your console (with internet connection) and give the game to your friend who plays offline and both could play the same game.
    05-29-2013 03:50 AM
    And, for all the naysayers out there, Sony is rumored to be implementing a similar used games system... This is the movement of the industry as a whole.

How Sony didn't initially get flak for it is beyond me since they gave just as much information about it as Microsoft (which isn't a whole lot)...

Though, I am hopeful (and expecting) an offline mode to play games, this week does make it more 'real.'

We had a huge storm in my area yesterday. The only 'damage' done to our house was that a tree fell on the cable that provides us access to the internet through our provider. Our ISP can't come out until Friday to have it repaired and get us back on the network.

As long as the discs don't become useless coasters, all will be good.

Coreldan - the internet sharing through phones isn't ideal - at least not in my area - as I would have to pay even more money to AT&T to allow my phone to do that per month. Stinks... especially as I'm in that situation right now ;)
    Last edited by ncxcstud; 05-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    05-29-2013 11:50 AM
    Yeah, I've heard you US peeps have it a bit meh with that. Well, I guess something positive out of living in Finland for once! :D
    05-29-2013 01:07 PM
    Coreldan - the internet sharing through phones isn't ideal - at least not in my area - as I would have to pay even more money to AT&T to allow my phone to do that per month. Stinks... especially as I'm in that situation right now ;)
    Internet Sharing is not needed.

Sign into your account on your phone.
    Select the game you want to play.
    A special QR Code is generated and displayed on your phone.
    Show your phone screen to your Kinect
    QR Code is scanned by Kinect.
    Algorithms/Verification is checked.

Verified. Game starts. :)

Just one example of how this can be achieved without tethering. This method would work with any device that has a screen and internet access.
    05-29-2013 03:25 PM
    I would imagine that MS's system will look a lot like Steam for the PC, since Steam has been proven to work pretty well. You buy a game, log in to your Steam account and put in the game's activation code. The game is now tied to your Steam account. You can install/reinstall at any time, either by using the disc or downloading from Steam. Steam sometimes has trial periods where you can download and play certain games for free for a weekend. They could do something similar for rentals. You pay for a set amount of time and then the game deactivates after that.

The only difference is that Steam doesn't allow used games. But MS could easily do this. You want to sell a game, you log in and set up the transaction through Xbox live. Then the game transfers to the buyer, who can install it either through download or the disc if they have it. The seller would no longer be able to play it anymore.
    05-29-2013 03:58 PM
    I think you are correct. Only addition to be made would be games that could be played fully in offline. Those games need to have disc in the drive all the time. Then everything is covered. Because if not, then you could install the game to your console (with internet connection) and give the game to your friend who plays offline and both could play the same game.
    true... could leave a window open for the same game being used twice.

still I'm hardcore in favor of Xbox but if they fully restrict used games and require to be online at least once every 24hrs and the competition doesn't... I will jump ship even though I prefer xbox exclusives.
    05-29-2013 04:57 PM
    Internet Sharing is not needed.

Sign into your account on your phone.
    Select the game you want to play.
    A special QR Code is generated and displayed on your phone.
    Show your phone screen to your Kinect
    QR Code is scanned by Kinect.
    Algorithms/Verification is checked.

Verified. Game starts. :)

Just one example of how this can be achieved without tethering. This method would work with any device that has a screen and internet access.
    Cool idea! In some way reminds me of the Photobeam thing.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    05-29-2013 05:19 PM
    still I'm hardcore in favor of Xbox but if they fully restrict used games and require to be online at least once every 24hrs and the competition doesn't... I will jump ship even though I prefer xbox exclusives.
    But how would the PS4 be different? They both allow games to be installed and played without the disk. The way they handle that and used games is going to have to be almost the same as the X1 or developers won't waste their time and money if games are easily pirated.
    Last edited by tk-093; 05-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    05-30-2013 11:11 AM
    true... could leave a window open for the same game being used twice.

And that opens the door for the pirates. I'm all for DRM based games, IF IT WORKS. A lot of times DRM just gives honest people a hard time playing back the content that they paid for. DRM as long as I could remove the game from my system (to resell) or be able to buy used games at a good discount for games I would not of gotten othewise. I do love the thought of Installing a game and not needing to rip out the disk everytime I want to play it.

If there is a fee to play used games, then I guess I just have to pay the seller less for the game, as I have a number (say $30ish for a 1 or 2 month old game) I am willing buy them for. Who really loses there ? The seller who is selling the game...Again what I said about Value on games.

Time will tell, another week or 2 before more info should be given on this...We are just assuming what will happen. This is an outrage on the internet everywhere, Microsoft has heard it and is reacting on it.
    05-30-2013 12:08 PM
    But how would the PS4 be different? They both allow games to be installed and played without the disk. The way they handle that and used games is going to have to be almost the same as the X1 or developers won't waste their time and money if games are easily pirated.
    oh I have no doubt sony will have the same restrictions. meant if one has and one doesn't.
    05-30-2013 06:03 PM
66 123