Used games, a fee ?

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I rarely trade in my games, and find digital distribution to be the way forward for me in order to retain the value in my purchases. I also rarely buy used games because I know that this does not support the creator of the game, and if it is a game that I like, I want them to be able to make more like it.

I feel that the reason that new games are $60 is in part to blame on the used games market. Steam is a good example of new game costs lowering due to digital distribution. I hope that the used game market's days are numbered as a gamer that wishes to see the industry thrive.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's what Cnet has to say about it and I totally agree:

It's no secret that every major video game company would like used games to go away, largely because they don't get a cut of any of those resale dollars. The Xbox One gives Microsoft a chance to reboot the idea of how game sales work.
The problem the publishers face is that games are simply too expensive at $60, particularly for a digital download. Often, you get no discount for downloading the digital version, so there's no incentive to buy it when you can pick up the hard copy instead and later trade it in, sell it, or simply swap with a friend for another game. You'd think that if publishers wanted to tamp down the used copy sales, they'd push people toward digital downloads with pricing incentives. But that would also upset the relationship they have with retailers, so you're left with a backward-looking market.
The long and short of it is that if publishers, Microsoft, and presumably others want to do away with the used-games market as we know it, the pricing for games is going to have to change. At this time, we don't know exactly how much new games for the next-gen systems will cost -- prices could very well go up for AAA next-gen titles -- but they ultimately need to go down, not up.
Somehow I doubt that will happen. But if it doesn't, fewer people will buy games when they're first released. Some will wait till the price drops (as the price for Bioshock Infinite did).
But many more will gravitate toward spending their time --and money -- playing cheap mobile games. Or maybe not getting a new console to begin with

Terrin

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay first off alot of people do not understand sony will need the same system or something similar to it as they plan the same thing that you do not need the disk after installing it that is the problem, Think if you rent a game say from gamefly install it and send it back hey I have the game it would destory game sales in general.

So the 2 theorys, polygons top one is say when I put the disk in it registers to my profile *why it needs a internet connection* then when I loan the game to my friend or trade it in to gamestop when that disk hits another console it would deregister from my account.

Second and most popular theory is the fee as this gives money back to developers and it isn't to bad say I buy a game for 60 and say my friend wants it he can just get a license for X dollars *sense after its installed he dosn't need the disk*

I am not really happy with the second option but it makes sense,

Yes a microsoft rep did say this but its still all up int he air as the offical statement is we will learn alittle before e3 of all the small details of how it works *I assume right around the sony confrence when they announce the same system* (most likely a back door deal)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft seems to be setting about a system that continually supports the developers through the recouping of funds through used sales and also in curbing piracy.

My hope, is that the offset to any of these systems is that the INITIAL COST of the games will DECREASE this generation. One of the reasons the costs of games has increased by $10.00 every generation since the SNES is to combat used games and piracy. They have to sell it higher knowing that they won't get the funds from the sales of used games or from pirated games...

If the this generation sees games around the $45-50 dollar range. I'd be happy as can be...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay first off alot of people do not understand sony will need the same system or something similar to it as they plan the same thing that you do not need the disk after installing it that is the problem, Think if you rent a game say from gamefly install it and send it back hey I have the game it would destory game sales in general.

With all the complaining I do about games and values here, I will admit I would love that feature. I would love to be able to just install the game and put my media on the shelf and never need to pick it up, unless I want to read the manual or something. I always have a stack of "current" games on my xbox, right now that sits at 7, to be able to play a game with out putting in a disk would be epic in my case.

With that being said, There also should be a way to "uninstall" a game, this would allow you to sell or buy a used game but, have a printout (like from your live account) saying it has been removed from your account (Proof that a game is removed from the past system and able to be played/sold to a 2nd owner).

The rental agreement could be that the game just expires after the rental time. If you rented a game for a week, it's in their system that the game could be used for 7 days then expires on your system. It will do like it does on WP when a app expires or it's license is revoked from the marketplace, you could have it installed but, when you run it, it tell you your only option is to buy the game or uninstall it.

Microsoft has been crafty with DRM in the past, WHEN IT WORKS RIGHT, IF they make it work where it will make games easier, I can buy a used game for a good value with out worrying if it can be played AND I could still keep the value if I chose to sell the game.

Now if games where $60 on release, 3 weeks later $50, and a month and 1/2 from then $35 I might not even think about buying used games. At $60 a pop for everything, they are too much to play everything out there but, if I know I wait a moth and 1/2, I could get the game for around the price I want to pay for it, it's a win win for everyone.

Blocking used sales is just a bad things for video games for gamers but, if there is a reasonable workaround, it might just work...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
There was a great article/entry on kotaku that had some great opinions on why the used game market is being used as an excuse to cover up the real issues in gaming. I have said for the longest time used games aren't the issue. Its the poor decisions and ballooning cost of game development. No way anyone can make a case that this is a sustainable model. And its only gonna get worse. I would be surprised if the industry makes it half way through this next gen without some kind of scenario reminiscent of the '83 crash.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There was a great article/entry on kotaku that had some great opinions on why the used game market is being used as an excuse to cover up the real issues in gaming. I have said for the longest time used games aren't the issue. Its the poor decisions and ballooning cost of game development. No way anyone can make a case that this is a sustainable model. And its only gonna get worse. I would be surprised if the industry makes it half way through this next gen without some kind of scenario reminiscent of the '83 crash.

Game development for AAA games is expensive. And the problems studios face isn't always because of poor decisions. But they just don't have wiggle room because games cost so much to make.

Since crystal balls dont exist there will always be things that could have been done better. Most companies can take this. Many game companies can't because they are bleeding money already.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Game development for AAA games is expensive. And the problems studios face isn't always because of poor decisions. But they just don't have wiggle room because games cost so much to make.

Since crystal balls dont exist there will always be things that could have been done better. Most companies can take this. Many game companies can't because they are bleeding money already.

If you spend 100 to 200 million on developing a game, project that the game will sell x amount and it doesn't, leading to layoffs and studios shutting down, that is poor decision making. And at this point, many publishers and studios don't need a crystal ball to know this. They continue to make these games that aren't making the development cost back.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you spend 100 to 200 million on developing a game, project that the game will sell x amount and it doesn't, leading to layoffs and studios shutting down, that is poor decision making. And at this point, many publishers and studios don't need a crystal ball to know this. They continue to make these games that aren't making the development cost back.

That's the "hardcore" game market.

You can't half-*** your way to a AAA title.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a huge Microsoft supporter, I have spend many of thousands of dollars on their products from my PocketPC 1.0 all the way up to every version to WP8 and every game system, PC too (plus tons of games)

You wana know what ? I never hacked any of my Xbox systems, my PS3 is modded like crazy. If Microsoft blocks used games like they are planning to, I will mod my xbox and buy used games to play on it. Sure I will lose my achievements and wont be able to play on line but, I can play the games I want, with out being robbed. It wont be on day one, I know that but, give it 6-8 months, the hackers always find a way, they always do. I don't want go that route but, I will, if I have to.

If the fee is like $5 for used games, that is understandable because they already made money off the game when it was sold. There is very high chance, the game I buy used, I would not of gotten at full price anyway and would not be willing to pay $60 for a game that I don't MUST HAVE. So, By Microsoft being greedy (is where I see a full retail cost for a month old used game), they will lose sales. I know I am not the only one who buys a lot of used games and for the reason of value in game.

I can live with a small fee but, a used game costing the same price of retail after fees, then I guess I will be playing a lot less games for the "one" or spend more on a PS4 (if they are not doing this). I will be buying both.

PC market, is different if you buy retail games, If you uninstall the game, and resell it, it will reinstall and play, I believe the license says you can do this as long as you do not keep any part of the program on your PCs. Kind of how Microsoft's licenses are for Windows (retail copies) where you CAN resell as long as you keep none of the software on your systems.

I guess this will have to go back to a government case, just like Music CDs.. Microsoft is trying to own the media you pay for, you should have a right to do with the media (your copy) as you choose. When you buy something, it's worth money to a point (a dollar value used, like todays market), you know if you buy a game and you don't like it or don't want to keep it, you can sell it to a friend, eBay or get ripped off by game stop. The point I am making is what Microsoft is doing is taking the Media that you own and make it worthless or worth very little.

Maybe it's me, I just think it's wrong and should be illegal. That is something for the courts to decide. I don't think this will last very long as there will be a lot of people battling this one. Say 6 months after release, a large class action lawsuit will appear, I would almost bet on it.

You can't hack an Xbone and if you did, it would get banned and be worthless as it requires internet.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There is no fee paid out by the buyer/seller. GameStop (and similar used game retailers) will be taking a cut of the profits they get from used games and giving it to MS//Sony and game publishers. That's the "fee" being referred too.

They seller/buyer is not involved because they never had a say on what these retailers did with the profits anyway. It's kinda like ordering food at a restaurant, as long as your food comes out delicious knowing all the disgusting **** that happens in the kitchen is not necessary (and you would probably lose your appetite if you did know). MS execs took everybody on a tour of the disgusting kitchen of the games industry.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That's the "hardcore" game market.

You can't half-*** your way to a AAA title.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a game be mediocre. What I am saying is that there is no way the current model can sustain this industry. Indie games, for example, have shown AAA quality can be produced at a fraction of the cost. But like its siblings(movies and music) its much easier to go with names and content that will sell and take very few risk. Its why we see so many movie sequels/remakes/reboots and artist who all sound-alike.

As far as half-tushing it, that's been another issue with some developers trying to find other ways to further punish gamers for their mistakes. Lets put out a incomplete game @ $60 and charge them an additional $20 to unlock stuff that should be available on the game day one and in many cases, is already on the disc.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone is suggesting that a game be mediocre. What I am saying is that there is no way the current model can sustain this industry. Indie games, for example, have shown AAA quality can be produced at a fraction of the cost. But like its siblings(movies and music) its much easier to go with names and content that will sell and take very few risk. Its why we see so many movie sequels/remakes/reboots and artist who all sound-alike.

As far as half-tushing it, that's been another issue with some developers trying to find other ways to further punish gamers for their mistakes. Lets put out a incomplete game @ $60 and charge them an additional $20 to unlock stuff that should be available on the game day one and in many cases, is already on the disc.
And the truth is, your right, that is half assing. Countless games are half assed nowadays and as long as they can have a avid follower of the studio, they studio can do what ever they please. I hate seeing companies say "This DLC will be launching on Release for an additional $19.99 or 1600 MSP!"

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Indie games can be fun. But they aren't AAA blockbusters. It's not like music, where a small and talented group of people can make something rivaling the quality of the big houses.

Even in films, Indies can be entertaining. But you're not going to come close to something with even a modest amount of special effects.

Like it or not, there is a very real demand for games with cutting-edge graphics, complex AI, and other things that push technology. These things cannot be done by an Indie studio.

These things require large teams of people to work long hours for years. And these people all have to earn a living.

Ever think that the reason they do that is because the games just cost so much to make?

Though I do agree that the system is broken.

Studios work their tails off, but often times big publishers hold the purse strings. And the publishers take a big cut (often the vast majority) of the profits.But studios don't have much choice unless they have $20 million lying around.

It would be nice if there were more situations like Bungie's, where they can be owned by a publisher for a while and achieve success, then can buy their independence after they've made a name for themselves.

And as for this system not being able to sustain itself... that's pretty obvious. That's why there is a used game solution that developers have been clamoring for. Where the developer could make a cut of a used game sale. That could make up for the prohibitive costs associated with creating expensive products that the public wants.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe used prices will either go up or used games will remain at a higher price point for a longer time. Microsoft is most likely developing a system where everyone gets a cut of used games, even "used" digital games. So not only will Gamestop get paid but so will publishers. Microsoft might even develop a system where they get a cut of the profit for digitally trading games too. The only thing I'm worried about is being able to lend a game to a friend or reselling through other outlets like ebay or Craigslist. However, I think a satisfactory system will be worked out.

Personally, I'm not against publishers getting a cut as long as I can still buy and sell used games. I always try to buy new to support the developers but I realize the importance of used games. I really hope the additional funds go towards keeping devs on the payroll. Game development is such a volatile industry. Layoffs happen so often that it's hard to keep track. I have a friend that works for EA and even though he makes 60k a year, job security is a real issue to him. You'd think EA would consider him a valued member of the team to pay him that much. Nope, EA will drop him and his team the second sales dip below expectations.

I remember reading an argument between two people about the importance of Nickelback. One guy was saying that, as ludicrous as it sounds, Nickelback is very important to the music ecosystem. Nickelback's awesome (read: terrible) music sells in the millions and brings in massive profits for the record label. Labels use those profits to sign/fund better bands but they're also riskier investments because they're new. So in a roundabout way, Nickelback's success actually makes it easier for other bands to get signed (granted, whether bands should sign with record labels is also arguable).

To relate that to video games. Franchises like Call of Duty, Halo or Madden have huge sales but they also have huge turnovers on the used market. Say EA sold a million used copies of Madden 2014, even if EA's cut was just $1 that's still a million dollars they can put towards paying devs or investing in new, riskier IPs. That sounds like a win-win. Gamestop gets paid. EA gets paid. And devs get to keep their job. That's a fee I would gladly pay because, long-term, it should theoretically improve the industry.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting as to what happens, and keep in mind PS4 will have something in place too. Both systems allow you to install the game and at that point no longer need a disk to ever play it again.

Used games, movie rental stores, gamefly, swapping games with a buddy... all that is going to change... big time... I believe BluRay has the ability to stamp each disk with a unique serial number so that will likely be how they control it.

Some type of online requirement is going to have to exist for the X1 and PS4, otherwise maybe the fallback will be if you can't get online, you need to keep the disk in the drive? I bet that will be the offline fix.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Some type of online requirement is going to have to exist for the X1 and PS4, otherwise maybe the fallback will be if you can't get online, you need to keep the disk in the drive? I bet that will be the offline fix.

That actually seems like a pretty good solution. I mean if the disc is still in your posession, I suppose you can't have sold the game or anything :D

However problem comes with non-retail/digital downloads, these would still be left with no offline-fallback with that idea. Except considering that to sell/trade the digital game, you would certainly have to be online and be able to access some used games-market, most likely. So to be able to sell a used digital game, you need to be online so at the very moment you sell it away, it would at the same time render the installed game useless.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That actually seems like a pretty good solution. I mean if the disc is still in your posession, I suppose you can't have sold the game or anything :D

However problem comes with non-retail/digital downloads, these would still be left with no offline-fallback with that idea. Except considering that to sell/trade the digital game, you would certainly have to be online and be able to access some used games-market, most likely. So to be able to sell a used digital game, you need to be online so at the very moment you sell it away, it would at the same time render the installed game useless.

Remember, there will be no difference at all between physical and digital. It's simply a different delivery method. Buying a used game at GameStop will be no different from buying a used game in the marketplace.

You will buy a used game from GameStop if you don't want to download it. Technically, there doesn't even need to be any to prevent people from copying and burning the disc. The physical disc is only for delivery. You can not use the physical disc to exploit the system at all anyways. If you alter the files on the disc, the console is going to compare the files with the latest game files in the cloud. If the files don't match, they will update/patch them.

No serial number is going to be on the physical disc or tied to it. It will simply be whether you have the game registered to your account or not. If someone takes your disc, and then puts it in their system, it will prompt them to purchase the game. If they purchase the game, it will not affect you at all.

If you want to get money for the game, you need to give up your registration. Simple as that. Otherwise, give the game away. It won't affect anyone. It just simply give someone else an easier delivery method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa