Streaming videos from server?

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I am not sure if I missed that during the presentation, but is the new XBOX ONE able to stream videos from a networked server?

Thanks, MCheiron

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember them mentioning this specifically, but there is almost no way it doesn't. Like ^ said, the issue will be about what formats are supported.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Almost assuredly. This is a pretty basic feature nowadays, and especially since MS and the XO is going the way of the cloud, I can't see it not happening.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Was there anything said about the XBOX ONE functioning as an Extender for Windows Media Center just as all my current Xbox do? It would be great to add that functionality to the network.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Im wondering if it will have the ability to stream your live tv - similar to the dish hopper. If you are running your TV stream through your Xbox, can you then stream from xbox to your smartphone / tablet??

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
doubt it, way too many legal issues

^^ .mkv is supported if you are streaming from something that can transcode it

winger46146#WP

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

When you can put an mkv on a jump drive plug it into the 360 and play it, that's when its supported.

Using a device to transcode is just a work around. In the mean time I'll just keep using my HTPC.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
When you can put an mkv on a jump drive plug it into the 360 and play it, that's when its supported.

Using a device to transcode is just a work around. In the mean time I'll just keep using my HTPC.

What HTPC are you using? HTPCs vary wildly. To me it would only be a Microsoft Windows Media Center (software) on an i5 PC computer (Windows 7 OS) with solid state HD and a Ceton Cable Card for cable TV distributed to my Xbox extenders.

Just wondering what HTPC means to you?

Last edited:

winger46146#WP

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Below is my HTPC, I don't use it with the Xbox. I just change the input on the TV and audit input on my receiver. I stream all my stuff from my Home Server which is now running Server 2012 Essentials.

htpc.JPG

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean stream from something that can transcode it? Can you give me an example of how I can do this myself? I have a windows phone, PC, NAS, and Xbox One all connected to the internet. How can I watch an mkv from my PC to my Xbox?

Thanks!

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I start the video in Windows 8 "video" player, then I go to my charms bar, then go down to devices, then play, and I can play to my Xbox one. If this is your first time you will be required to add the device. You can use Miracast on android phones. You can play to on a windows phone but I have forgotten how. It can be done on a Windows 7 PC but again I forgot how.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just built an HTPC with MediaPortal. I love it. I only have an antenna card now, but I will get cable installed on Saturday and use a CableCard. Once that's working, I will ditch AT&T U-Verse and cut my TV/Internet bill in half and get faster Internet. No more $15/month for a DVR, no more $10/month for HD, no more $5/month for each box.

That being said, I have my HTPC connected into the Xbox One with HDMI. I have no need for a Plex app now. I almost have no need for the Xbox One.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos