Opinions on people's opinion on the Xbox One

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: My opinion on people's opinion on the Xbox One

That's what I've done when I want to show off arcade games I've purchased to a friend on their console, or use my previously-purchased DLC at their place... Just bring over my profile (either on a USB stick or, more recently because of faster recovery speeds, via download). Looks like MS is bringing this same mechanic to physical disc-based games. Only problem is the way that people use disc games and have used ever since the days of game cartridges (yay NES!)... People lend games to their friends. People go to friend's houses who haven't connected their Xbox to Live at all (happened to me with a friend of mine). Disc based games have always been the physical medium people just pop in and play. This is a fundamental change now in how that works.

This same thing happened to me with a recent purchase of Skyrim for my PC... The dvd was basically just an installer and that's it, tied to a stupid steam account, and I can't play the game on another system without signing into my steam account on it. This is the way gaming is headed. It's worked for games on demand, psn downloads, xbl downloads, steam, etc... And now it's coming to physical disc.

I really hope there's something extra we're missing in how Microsoft does this, some detail somewhere that makes it better... But looking at all the examples I've just listed, I don't think there's anything missing. Xbox and PlayStation are just last to the game. I expect Sony to do this same thing eventually as well, if not for the PS4

It's not a new thing. Pretty much all PC games that I've bought many years ago had CD keys with them.

MS said that they will be presenting a solution for used games. We just have to wait for when they're ready to reveal it.

I imagine that you'll be able to remove it from your hard drive and then give that ownership key to someone else. MS also did mention trading games. So I bet there's going to be some sort of used game marketplace that they set up where you could buy, sell, or trade games.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

The PS4 will be better for gaming. Microsoft is concentrating on other stuff, not gaming. Gaming is just one of many concentrations in the Xbox One. On PS4 it is the MAIN goal. You HAVE to respect the PS4 as a gamer because that is the only thing you want in a system.

There is nothing supporting your argument. You need to do some research and learn about the power of the cloud. Developers can utilize the cloud for extreme computing power not possible with the PS4.

I want everything in my system, not just games. My 360 had a much better gaming experience than my PS3, and I have no doubt my Xbox One will have a better gaming experience than a PS4. PS4 has no advantages to the Xbox One.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft's secret weapon over Sony is the Azure Cloud. They will be able to provide unique game experiences with Azure computing that Sony won't be able to match.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

One word really, console wars. It doesn't matter if the device is actually better or worse than PS4, some people have just decided that PS4 is better.

It was the exact same when I was younger and it was the "first xbox gen" going on with GameCube and PS2 as rivals. I had a gamecube and PS2 and Xbox sucked so much ***!!!! ..i just have no idea why :D

I'm not worried for the xbox in the slightest. It may not beat PS4 in sales, but it won't be much behind either. Both consoles will be extremely popular and succesful. That said, I'm sort of a MS ****** with my W8, Surface and WP8 which is why I root for XBOX a lot more. I may not buy one cos I'm not really into console gaming (im a big gamer, just usually some persistant MMO-like games, currently APB Reloaded mostly on PC), but I really like the other features it has and it would complete my ecosystem very nicely.. just not sure if with my current limited income I can justify getting one, especially when many of the cool features will likely not do anything for me cos I don't have cable TV and I dont watch sports :p

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

One word really, console wars. It doesn't matter if the device is actually better or worse than PS4, some people have just decided that PS4 is better.

It was the exact same when I was younger and it was the "first xbox gen" going on with GameCube and PS2 as rivals. I had a gamecube and PS2 and Xbox sucked so much ***!!!! ..i just have no idea why :D

And that's exactly what this cartoon is about. Hating stuff without knowing why. Didn't mean to trigger a huge discussion, just sharing a drawing with you guys :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

It's not a new thing. Pretty much all PC games that I've bought many years ago had CD keys with them.

MS said that they will be presenting a solution for used games. We just have to wait for when they're ready to reveal it.

I imagine that you'll be able to remove it from your hard drive and then give that ownership key to someone else. MS also did mention trading games. So I bet there's going to be some sort of used game marketplace that they set up where you could buy, sell, or trade games.
ah yes, CD keys have been around since forever (Hello original Starcraft) but usually games still required the disc and you still could bring it to a friend's house and install+play with your own key. Using the Starcraft example, you just couldn't get on multiplayer without two separate keys. Now, with modern Skyrim as my example, the CD is not needed and even to play single player I must be logged in with my account, the one I first registered with. Might as well have just downloaded it from Steam since the DVD is worthless (it downloaded what seemed like almost all the content anyway, the disc didn't make for a quicker install).

CD key or not, you still used to be able to take the disc along with you elsewhere to play on another system. Of course, times changed and everything seems to be like Steam now. So Xbox is catching up to that with their physical discs as well.

And my issue isn't with used games or trading. I know they'll have that. I was more responding to the idea of discs at your friend's house. I'll be fine if I can deactivate before going to a friend's house so he can play on his profile or if he's not connected his console.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

And my issue isn't with used games or trading. I know they'll have that. I was more responding to the idea of discs at your friend's house. I'll be fine if I can deactivate before going to a friend's house so he can play on his profile or if he's not connected his console.

I could figure if you would log in to your account with your friends xbox temporarily, this wouldnt be an issue of any kind as your account would be linked to the right to play the game. Without a disc though I guess the problem would be having to download it on the spot, something that on my connection would take all day.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Yeah. I would hope so Coreldan. The way I imagine this working is if the game is tied both to the account holder's main console, and the account itself. That way, for families, whoever buys the game, all profiles with an account on his/her home console will be able to play it. Also, you can sign into your account on a friends console, and play the game there. If this is how the system is implemented, I will have absolutely no reason to be upset.

With regards to the used game situation, I have no idea what's going to be worked out. I like the idea of you being able to remove the game from your account, and maybe you are given a code for the game which you can then sell. Whoever buys your code would then be able to submit it on their account and activate the game.

MFmonster

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

The PS4 will be better for gaming. Microsoft is concentrating on other stuff, not gaming. Gaming is just one of many concentrations in the Xbox One. On PS4 it is the MAIN goal. You HAVE to respect the PS4 as a gamer because that is the only thing you want in a system.

SMH. Some people have blinders on. Your comment is ten kinds of silly. It is all your opinion and based on nothing but your opinion. Listen to yourself. You don't even know what the PS4 looks like, but you proclaimed it "better for gaming". We still know very little about the consoles. Do you think the PS4 will "only" play games? The ps3 does much more than gaming, so why would Sony approach this differently? Both will probably say it is a video game console first, but then both will probably share all the other things the consoles will do for the household. Not so different.
Also how can I respect something I know little about. I haven't seen the PS4 and it is not available for sale, but you suggest we "HAVE" to respect it. Also, to say the only thing anyone wants from the One or PS4 is gaming is also garbage and nonsense. I want many things from the devices. I want games, exclusives, and I would love to have the ability to not have to switch back to the cable box for TV. I want ease of use for media in my home. Not just for me, but my family.

This is just like the "always on" nonsense the last couple months. People were making comments and already vilified the Xbox One before they had anything concrete. I already decided that common sense is far from common and the majority of people base thoughts and decisions off of specualtion and unknowns.

I am a skeptic just like most others, but to speak ill of the Xbox One in regards to gaming at this point is ignorant. The idea the PS4 has the Xbox One beat because of "gamezz" is so silly I have no idea why I engage. The reveal yesterday was just a reveal of the system and it was well reported that specifics and games will be highlighted at E3. The talk of exclusives in this generation is subjective as well. The 360 has several, however, many are kinect exclusive and that rubs many the wrong way. But guess what, that is ok, and thank goodness we have a choice. This is such a tired subject especially so early in the announcement. Yes, announced and not released. There are so many uknowns with BOTH consoles yet people already behave and type as if they know the future.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

yeah, I would wait and see as the console wars pan out and wait for E3 before jumping to any conclusions about which console is better. Both MS and sony said they are both going to reveal more at E3. As it stands now, I like the xbox one a little better because of all of the other media things it can do that the ps4 can't. Sure the ps4 gpu is supposed to be slightly better than the xbox gpu, but it won't matter in the end because cross-platform games will still look the same. Take the ps3 vs xbox 360 for example, the ps3 blows the xbox 360 away in terms of its tech specs but none of the games actually look or play better, actually, I would go and say that by far, most of the cross-platform games look and play better on the xbox 360 because MS made it easier to code for. The only games that look better on the PS3 are first party titles and that's pretty much it.

Both new consoles look interesting, although I don't get the hate with the xbox one because in my opinion, ms did everything right. The controller looks good, the kinect interface and multimedia/multitasking looks fantastic, the console looks decent, I mean they didn't take much risks but they did everything right, so why are people complaining? Why don;t people ever use the same argument for pc gaming? My pc is "always on, always connected" and it causes no problems. I can't really do used games on a pc with steam, so consoles definitely have a leg up on that, you can't take a steam game and sell it...so whats the problem with consoles, at least they let you do that. My PC has multimedia and streaming, it also has fast multitasking and entertainment, so how come nobody complains about this stuff on a PC or Mac, but the second a console does it, its no longer for "gamers" and its not a "true gaming machine".

From what I've seen, Microsoft has been much more up front about the xbox one than sony has about the ps4, I mean, at least MS showed what the freakin console looks like! Also, I would expect as well that the xbox one will be way more future proof than the ps4 just because MS significantly changed and updated the xbox 360 throughout its life cycle and sony didn't really do that much with the ps4, in fact they downgraded it when they removed linux support,lol. Also, I would rather leave the OS software to a SOFTWARE company like MS than a company who has been nothing but awful with software, like sony.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Very well said both of you. It's so refreshing to hear logical and thought out arguments for (and against) the XO, as opposed to the mass hysteria about rumors that have no backing.

It is pretty disheartening to hear all the bull about how bad the XO is going to be for gaming and how MS doesn't care about gamers. I am definitely excited about the system, as a gaming console, and I'm very excited for the capabilities outside of gaming that will be provided.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

...sigh.... please.....
so can you use skype, check your movie info online and watch netflix and message your friends offline?........ please. it obvious Xbox live will download content to keep it updated, like the trending feature they said. if people actully used their brain it would be obvious what it meant with the first answer about how it will require or not connection all the time. and Phil Harrison can be whatever he wants be he doesnt know about it, he says "I believe its 24h" so that means he doesnt know the answer. Im sure Xbox team dont expect you to buy Xbox One and never have it online, but its not like it will explode, or it will stop working if you dont update X tv feature, there are alot of things that work only with internet so its imposible to be offline for those... thats the problema with new technology, like a Smartphone, would you buy one if you wont have an internet connection never? you cant even setup an account to download an App that would work offline. again, im sure you need to get updated but its not like Xbox One will explode if you dont connect online, it only depends on the game, or App, or whatever you want to do with Xbox.

exactly. my lumia 920 doesn't have an always on connection (though I would like it to) and it still works... just without features that require an internet connection. once it reconnects to cell towers or wifi those features will resume working. i'm confused on why people are so upset about the always on thing. this is 2013, will be close to 2014 by the time the console is out... who DOESN'T have a nearly "always on" internet connection in their home? grow up people!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that cartoon was all kinds of ignorant.

1. They said 15 exclusives IN THE FIRST YEAR, not at launch. They said 8 would be new IP. That could mean 2 of the 15 could be annual installments of the same franchise (like Forza).
2. Forcing people to buy the Kinect is not improving it. I don't want to buy a $100-150 accessory I won't use.
3. Forcing people to plug the Kinect in to use the console is no improvement, either. If I am not going to use it, why do I need it plugged in?
4. Filing patents to spy on users is not improving the Kinect. That's a massive (though allowed) invasion of privacy.
5. I don't see the D-pad as improved, but that's a personal opinion.
6. I hate the repositioning of the Guide button, as well as the changing of the Start and Back buttons, so I see the controller as, without getting to try it, a visual downgrade (though I like the stick grips).
7. It's not as powerful as the PS4, that's been stated factually. I think the comparison is something like 1.8 TFLOPS of calculation for the PS4 and 1.3 for the new Xbox. The PS4 has DDR5 memory, while the Xbox has DDR3.

People are upset for potentially-legitimate reasons, but they need to wait for verification of those problems (the Kinect spying, the game locking, etc.) before they rain down hellfire.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

1. They said 15 exclusives IN THE FIRST YEAR, not at launch. They said 8 would be new IP. That could mean 2 of the 15 could be annual installments of the same franchise (like Forza).

You're reaching with the idea that 2 games may be different installments of the same title. Ridiculous.

2. Forcing people to buy the Kinect is not improving it. I don't want to buy a $100-150 accessory I won't use.
3. Forcing people to plug the Kinect in to use the console is no improvement, either. If I am not going to use it, why do I need it plugged in?

Did you really just number these as two separate points? Trying to make it look like there are more "reasons"?

The new Kinect is not an accessory. It is built as part of the Xbox. The OS expects it to be there.

If you use the Xbox, you are using Kinect.

Developers know it's there, so they could make use of its capabilities. It isn't a guess about what percentage people have it. Instead, they can plan for it like they could plan that a player has a controller. This means that most games will use it.

4. Filing patents to spy on users is not improving the Kinect. That's a massive (though allowed) invasion of privacy.

Patent to spy? LoL.
Yeah sure. They filed a patent for the purpose of spying on users.
And tyoucalled the OP ignorant? LoL

7. It's not as powerful as the PS4, that's been stated factually. I think the comparison is something like 1.8 TFLOPS of calculation for the PS4 and 1.3 for the new Xbox. The PS4 has DDR5 memory, while the Xbox has DDR3.

The PS4 has a higher potential throughput because of faster (and more expensive)RAM. The XBOX makes up for some of it with a faster cache. The XBOX also allows for offloading non-immediate computations on cloud servers. 300,000 cloud servers.

People are upset for potentially-legitimate reasons, but they need to wait for verification of those problems (the Kinect spying, the game locking, etc.) before they rain down hellfire.

Thay hasn't been stopping anyone.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

It said that purchased game is tied to Live -account.

How about when you have other family members that play the same game? It must be possible to play purchased game in one family console with multpile accounts, otherwise many people will get upset. I don't want my girlfriend to play Call of Duty with my account, I would loose my virtual face.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Your girlfriend plays CoD? While I despise the franchise, but I want a girlfriend like that..

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It said that purchased game is tied to Live -account.

How about when you have other family members that play the same game? It must be possible to play purchased game in one family console with multpile accounts, otherwise many people will get upset. I don't want my girlfriend to play Call of Duty with my account, I would loose my virtual face.

That's all changing now. Its one Live account per household but you can have multiple profiles going through that account. Which pleased my girlfriend as that means she doesn't have to keep forking out for a gold sub to play halo4 with me

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

That's all changing now. Its one Live account per household but you can have multiple profiles going through that account. Which pleased my girlfriend as that means she doesn't have to keep forking out for a gold sub to play halo4 with me

All right then, this clarifies this topic. Thanks.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

No, I've drawn what I think Microsoft is thinking right now. It's a joke about Microsoft. If my cartoon turns out to be accurate, then Microsoft is ignorant, not the cartoon ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa