Opinions on people's opinion on the Xbox One

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: My opinion on people's opinion on the Xbox One

You're reaching with the idea that 2 games may be different installments of the same title. Ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous in the slightest? Forza Motorsport 5 will bring the third installment in the franchise in the past 3 years, and we saw Assassin's Creed switch to the annual model as well, so it's actually realistic to see that happening. I'm not saying that it WILL, just that it COULD.

Did you really just number these as two separate points? Trying to make it look like there are more "reasons"?

The new Kinect is not an accessory. It is built as part of the Xbox. The OS expects it to be there.

I knew someone would HAVE to complain about my numbering scheme, unsurprising it happened. Pointing out two DIFFERENT things within the same point ruins the whole point of those numbered points. I separated the two things because they are two different things. Purchasing something and using it are different things. That you could ONLY counter both points with "you made that two points?" shows you had to grasp as something to complain about. Yeah, I know the OS expects it to be there. THAT IS MY COMPLAINT. I don't want it right now, plain and simple. If I'm not making use of it, why am I having to buy it? Oh, and forcing me into voice commands on occasion isn't the answer to "I'm not using it." Making me WANT to use it is how you convince people to buy it.

Patent to spy? LoL.
Yeah sure. They filed a patent for the purpose of spying on users.
And tyoucalled the OP ignorant? LoL

Yeah, use "LoL," to avoid the point. Call names, and don't actually make a point. Microsoft DID file a patent (Microsoft may start watching you through your Xbox Kinect | Digital Trends) on the matter, and while I know that it was initially filed 2 years ago, that they are considering using this is still stupid, in my opinion. I don't like the thought that Microsoft had the POTENTIAL to track me in any way with this thing. It might not be the "Big Brother" spying you're thinking I mean, but they are considering the use of the tech to track what users are doing in some way, and that doesn't sit well with me.

The PS4 has a higher potential throughput because of faster (and more expensive)RAM. The XBOX makes up for some of it with a faster cache. The XBOX also allows for offloading non-immediate computations on cloud servers. 300,000 cloud servers.

Thay hasn't been stopping anyone.

I'm not sure what this point even was. I agree that people are reacting negatively too quickly, but folks such as yourself have been quick to sweep everything under the rug without proof just as quickly. I've been arguing the negatives and positives with people from different places on this, saying in both cases what could and couldn't be good or bad, while saying we need to wait. I'm trying to be the middle ground in all of this, while actually waiting for facts, rather than dismissing negative comments with "LoL."

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

No, I've drawn what I think Microsoft is thinking right now. It's a joke about Microsoft. If my cartoon turns out to be accurate, then Microsoft is ignorant, not the cartoon ;)

Microsoft doesn't think they will have 15 launch titles, though. They said that they have 15 coming within the first YEAR of the console's release.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

The reveal on Tuesday was to get the non-gaming features of the Xbox out of the way, with some nice appetizers so that gamers were not completely disappointed in having to wait until the E3 reveal for some concrete details that they could mull over in the meantime.

I would describe the general population of the gaming community that feel the need to criticize Microsoft for what they have shown of the Xbox One so far to be fickle and inattentive, or had already made up their mind that it was popular to hate on Microsoft.

Also as far as the Xbox One vs PS4 on a hardware level, I build and work on computers as a hobby, and I can appreciate how a well balanced approach to a build using well established technology will often outperform and most definitely produce less errors/crashes/weirdness than a bleeding edge build. That is not to say that there is not bleeding edge technology in both consoles, but that I personally feel that Microsoft would have a better understanding of hardware utilization due to their deeply rooted understanding of CSE.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

No, I've drawn what I think Microsoft is thinking right now. It's a joke about Microsoft. If my cartoon turns out to be accurate, then Microsoft is ignorant, not the cartoon ;)

He was just giving his opinion of your opinion on people's opinion on the Xbox One.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Its like saying My Roku needs to be connected to Internet to stream media....
Chrome Book needs to be connected to net to do anything on it ......
Its fancy to hate everything MS does now a days.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

I don't like the thought that Microsoft had the POTENTIAL to track me in any way with this thing. It might not be the "Big Brother" spying you're thinking I mean, but they are considering the use of the tech to track what users are doing in some way, and that doesn't sit well with me.

If you use a smart phone you are being tracked, even if you turn off location, i don't like it either, but we cant get away from this.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft doesn't think they will have 15 launch titles, though. They said that they have 15 coming within the first YEAR of the console's release.

You're right. Sorry about the mistake.

He was just giving his opinion of your opinion on people's opinion on the Xbox One.

Woa. Now we're getting philosophical ;)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't like the thought that Microsoft had the POTENTIAL to track me in any way with this thing. It might not be the "Big Brother" spying you're thinking I mean, but they are considering the use of the tech to track what users are doing in some way, and that doesn't sit well with me.

If you use a smart phone you are being tracked, even if you turn off location, i don't like it either, but we cant get away from this.

Just going to throw a "what if" in here.

What if the constant monitoring and tracking helps to improve the user experience for all of us. What if they pick up that people start saying commands for things that the Xbox One cant do. I mean the guys at MS are pretty smart but they wont have thought of everything. What if they pick up on little nuances like you always go back to the start screen when you take a break from the game. Pretty soon when you get up from the sofa and go to do something the Kinect picks up your leaving its field of view and returns to the home screen itself without a command. There are so many possibilities which is what I find quite exciting rather than worrying.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

They have not said how many launch titles they will have yet, the only mention was exclusives.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

Just going to throw a "what if" in here.

What if the constant monitoring and tracking helps to improve the user experience for all of us. What if they pick up that people start saying commands for things that the Xbox One cant do. I mean the guys at MS are pretty smart but they wont have thought of everything. What if they pick up on little nuances like you always go back to the start screen when you take a break from the game. Pretty soon when you get up from the sofa and go to do something the Kinect picks up your leaving its field of view and returns to the home screen itself without a command. There are so many possibilities which is what I find quite exciting rather than worrying.

we meet again lol!
I think that they can do it the way its always been done user feedback. Lets be honest we haven't needed to "spy" on people to get this far and we have come very far in a short amount of time.

On a side note I do like the idea of getting away from the Kinect and it doin an auto pause/save. If that's straight from your imagination I thank you for sharing it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

we meet again lol!
I think that they can do it the way its always been done user feedback. Lets be honest we haven't needed to "spy" on people to get this far and we have come very far in a short amount of time.

On a side note I do like the idea of getting away from the Kinect and it doin an auto pause/save. If that's straight from your imagination I thank you for sharing it.

Yes - Xbox One is a hot topic. There's a few of us commenting on multiple threads at the moment.

Hmm user feedback has its pros and cons, can honestly say I've never given feedback to MS on any of my consoles. I'm looking at it as an instant consumer use meter rather than spying. If they can pick up that I am using my Kinect the same as 5000 other people and its not a way they've thought of a quick update can solve it. Maybe it would be a simple thing such as regional accents or a fix for peoples tones of voice. I don't know... Just think the fact that there's a chance MS have a bank of servers just waiting to flag up issues and solve them on the spot rather than people taking to the internet and bashing MS for a fix can only be a good thing. It could all be complete speculation however as were all just going off rumours.

Yeah I think it would be a nice touch - Kinect currently pauses games if you leave field of view but its only on Kinect enabled ones - technically if Kinect is always on it may just do the same but with all games and movies.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

we meet again lol!

You will never have the efficiency and audience using the user-feedback method.

We haven't "needed to", does that mean we shouldn't pursue new ways of thinking in order to improve upon ourselves? This is how the tech world works. This is what gives the tech world its "exponential" rate of growth. Your methodology forces that back to a "linear" rate of growth.

Microsoft can spy on you to gain data. They can either use it for good or for bad. But if the intent is good, then why not?
Everything that can be used for good can also be used for evil. Does that mean we should be able to use those things at all?

I completely understand your concerns, I'm just trying to make open up and let your mind wander. :)

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

You will never have the efficiency and audience using the user-feedback method.

We haven't "needed to", does that mean we shouldn't pursue new ways of thinking in order to improve upon ourselves? This is how the tech world works. This is what gives the tech world its "exponential" rate of growth. Your methodology forces that back to a "linear" rate of growth.

Microsoft can spy on you to gain data. They can either use it for good or for bad. But if the intent is good, then why not?
Everything that can be used for good can also be used for evil. Does that mean we should be able to use those things at all?

I completely understand your concerns, I'm just trying to make open up and let your mind wander. :)

ok the problem here is you stated that the tech world has exponential growth. Now to my knowledge the tech world isn't spying now, and yet they achieve that already. So why would they need to "spy" to achieve what's already happening?

The reason I take concern with this is because as history shows us. Power corrupts, so what may be used for good today will rest assured be used for evil another day.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes - Xbox One is a hot topic. There's a few of us commenting on multiple threads at the moment.

Hmm user feedback has its pros and cons, can honestly say I've never given feedback to MS on any of my consoles. I'm looking at it as an instant consumer use meter rather than spying. If they can pick up that I am using my Kinect the same as 5000 other people and its not a way they've thought of a quick update can solve it. Maybe it would be a simple thing such as regional accents or a fix for peoples tones of voice. I don't know... Just think the fact that there's a chance MS have a bank of servers just waiting to flag up issues and solve them on the spot rather than people taking to the internet and bashing MS for a fix can only be a good thing. It could all be complete speculation however as were all just going off rumours.

Yeah I think it would be a nice touch - Kinect currently pauses games if you leave field of view but its only on Kinect enabled ones - technically if Kinect is always on it may just do the same but with all games and movies.

I agree that it could be easier then user feedback but as I sated a few post down to another person there can be huge problems with such "power" if you will. I for one do give feedback, I grew up in a small business (by small my dad and 2 other employees) so I know how important it is to tell the company the truth as often and respectful as possible. So it does pain me to see as you say bashing in any review for any company, that doesn't help. I would also say that in this day and age user feedback is at a high and probably growing due to all the outlets in which to communicate.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

ok the problem here is you stated that the tech world has exponential growth. Now to my knowledge the tech world isn't spying now, and yet they achieve that already. So why would they need to "spy" to achieve what's already happening?

The reason I take concern with this is because as history shows us. Power corrupts, so what may be used for good today will rest assured be used for evil another day.

The tech world spies on everything. Every major platform has this type of stuff built it natively. Every app you use, every button press you make inside of an app, everything. It's existed for years.

Telemetry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just because companies extract and use this data doesn't mean their are identities to it. This data can be completely anonymous and still provide all of the benefits. As long as they can associate data to the same user.

It's not: John Doe played Angry Birds. John Doe searched "motorcycles". John Doe sent an email.
It's this: User-1484z4f played Angry Birds. User-1484z4f searched "motorcycles". User-1484z4f sent an email.

This data helps them on extreme levels. And most of the time it's completely safe.

What's scary is when it comes to search results, which is why I fear Google. AOL released the search queries of thousands of anonymous users in order to promote and help scientific studies, publically. It was all for good reasons, to improve research. Turns out, a group of researchers found out that over 95% of these anonymous users were able to be re-identified using only their search results. As a result AOL was forced to remove the public data, but as we all know you can delete things from the internet.

To this day, you can browse all of that data here: AOL database scandal and keyword tool

(Take a look if you have time. It's very interesting.)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's the deal, I haven't bought a console since dreamcast because of all this crap. I don't want to have my account tied to a game or a console, or have to be online to play a racing game against a computer, or play halo single player. I want to buy a single player game, play it in my bedroom with no internet on an old crappy tv, or take it on vacation where I don't have internet. How many RV's have PS's or Xbox's in them just for that reason, you can play madden or GTA without having to be online. It's getting to be you can't BUY anything, you are just paying for permission to use. F that. It's why I don't have an e-Reader, I want to BUY a book, not f'ing rent one. Same with DVD's. I work as a network engineer, i'm all about tech, but this grabby hands into my wallet is getting to be an over reach.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Here's the deal, I haven't bought a console since dreamcast because of all this crap. I don't want to have my account tied to a game or a console, or have to be online to play a racing game against a computer, or play halo single player. I want to buy a single player game, play it in my bedroom with no internet on an old crappy tv, or take it on vacation where I don't have internet. How many RV's have PS's or Xbox's in them just for that reason, you can play madden or GTA without having to be online. It's getting to be you can't BUY anything, you are just paying for permission to use. F that. It's why I don't have an e-Reader, I want to BUY a book, not f'ing rent one. Same with DVD's. I work as a network engineer, i'm all about tech, but this grabby hands into my wallet is getting to be an over reach.

A network engineer who hates being online DEFINITELY gave me a good laugh. And I don't mean that with any disrespect, just pointing out the irony.

You can't create a product that satisfies everyone. The new advances in technology offer amazing benefits too, but you can't always integrate all of them and keep every legacy user happy at the same time.

There's nothing anyone can say to you besides this. "Don't buy a new console."
If you feel that strongly about it, invest, start a company, and build your own.

=/

Carchariax

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I will be a proud owner of an Xbox One, Playstation 4 and a Wii U. Everyone else can have fun arguing over which is better while I enjoy all three.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss