Why the sky isn't falling

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people really disliked this conference. Personally, I’m thoroughly impressed with XO and its non-gaming capabilities. I know, Microsoft didn’t show any games! It’s all about the games!!! A lot of my friends are laughing at the Xbox becoming an all-in-one entertainment destination. My friends, along with a lot of other people, are saying that the XO isn’t a gaming system because Microsoft doesn’t care about games or gamers anymore.

There’s a very legitimate case that Microsoft has an exclusivity problem. The PS3 clearly dominated the exclusive IP category. But as a whole, the X360 doesn’t really have a game problem. In fact, I’ve never felt deprived of good games or worried that high quality content wasn’t coming. True, content has been lacking these past couple years, which isn’t uncommon during a generation’s end. Still, Microsoft hasn’t given any indication that it’s going to have a content problem.

You wanna talk about a system with a game problem then look at the Wii U. I really like what Nintendo did with the Wii U but sales are poor, Nintendo dropped E3, developers are jumping ship and the hardware is far short of next gen. Nintendo faces a very tangible content problem. I like what the Wii U’s tablet has to offer but without games…

I don’t own a PS3 but I’m digging the PS4’s hardware, and again, Sony clearly doesn’t have a content problem so no complaints there.

IMO, discussing the lack of games at the XO reveal is a waste of breath. I’m going to wait until Microsoft proves it has a game problem until acknowledging such hysteria. Let’s not forget, Microsoft promised 15 exclusive titles within the first year with 8 of those being brand new IPs. Furthermore, E3 is a couple of weeks away where obviously more content is going to be unveiled. So chicken little, sky falling – get over it.

Now, if you’re like me, you probably don’t carry a cellphone and a MP3 player. You probably don’t carry a cellphone and a paper calendar, or a cellphone and an alarm clock, or a cellphone and camera. Chances are very good that you have a smartphone and you combined everything into one. One look at the XO’s hardware and you can clearly see that it was designed to play games. But, much like a smartphone, I wanna know what else it can do.

I expect my devices to do multiple things, to be multiple things. Dedicated gaming systems is a thing of the past. Microsoft is trying to deliver everything. Gaming, music, movies, TV, the cloud content that stretches across tablets and phones, VOIP, Kinect, multitasking and so on. Why would I not want everything? Dur, because Microsoft isn’t focusing on the games! That’s a legitimate concern with no credibility.

The hardware is clearly there for next gen gaming. The exclusives are coming. Brand new IPs are coming. Gaming partnerships are being formed with numerous companies. It looks like Microsoft has spent the last 8 years prepping a system that could deliver everything with very little compromise, gaming included.

But what about new gaming experiences!!! I’m hearing that from a lot of Nintendo fans but the more they talk the more it sounds like, I want another Wii U only with next gen hardware. Do we truly need yet another system that uses a tablet, phone, handheld as an extension of the game? I think the Wii U has the hardware to fill that niche very well. And the PS4/Vita combo should provide some interesting stuff. However, I don’t need or want copycat systems. The XO has all the necessary components to provide some very interesting gameplay possibilities. Give me a developer with a vision and not a developer with a tablet.

Next gen is going to have some great experiences on the PS4, XO and (hopefully) Wii U. Best of all, each system has its own niche. The Wii U of course has the tablet, the PS4 with its unique controller and the XO with a vastly improved Kinect. Three systems capable of giving you three totally different experiences. Man, next gen is looking real good.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Very well said! I am impressed with Xbox One! Loving the live tv features and how it is so easy to multi-task! The specs are on par with the PS4 Imo. And competition is always great! I dislike the whole console war thing. Choices are always good! But I will be getting a Xbox one.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I have no qualms with MS shooting for an all in one device. I also can't fault those who have no interest in the extras for feeling like MS is further losing sight of what made Xbox a legitimate brand in the first place. Its really all about your personal preferences.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Im sorry for the word but I think people complaining are being stupid...
why stupid?
well... lets see the new Xbox One... it OBVIOUSLY is a gaming system, it will play videogames. this is like windows 8 all over again... "Microsoft is forgetting about desktop users" like if there was no desktop in windows 8, or "its a tablet UI because it supports touch and Microsoft doesn't care about mouse and keyboard" like if for having support for a touch input and then optimizing the UI for that input removed the use of a mouse a keyboard.
so what I mean its like... people seem to forget its logical something will keep doing the same it was doing before. just like Windows 8 has a desktop and it can be used with mouse and keyboard it added touch and a new interface but it doesn't stop people from using desktop 24/7. same with Xbox One, it will play videogames but you have to show the new stuff. because honestly how much has changed playing a game since Atari days? not really much! well now you use discs, but you put the game and start playing!... so from 360 to One there wont be any difference! achievements will work, you still will put the game on the drive, install it to harddrive if you want, text your friends, use your mic. what people expect from a gaming console? games? yeah but games aren't done in 2 weeks, they need to be done and still there is E3 to show other games coming to Xbox One.
so why would you show xbox used to play games if its obvious you it will do that and it wont be any different than 360? the only thing changing its graphic quality but the way games have been played over the years haven't changed much.

I don't understand all this drama... only because something wasn't shown 3 hours it doesn't mean it isn't there. games aren't close to be ready for release anyway... so if they cant show much well Microsoft cant force them to do that. I really don't understand what people expect... I don't even understand the point of showing games for 30 hours like if I didn't know a gaming console will play games. but well not even the 15 exclusives in 1 year seemed to make some people happy oh wait.. now they wanted a list? if Microsoft gave a list they would have wanted a video about it, if Microsoft shown a video they would have wanted a real time gameplay and if they showed only games been played they would have said or these games suck or it was a boring conference because nothing new was shown. just normal human typical silly behaviour.

but I don't know, I don't know... I cant understand people and also I cant understand all the drama like if their lives depended on a gaming console and how many games were shown in the unveil.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
HeyCori, thank you for summing up in a concise way my feelings on the XO. Seriously, this console is poised to be one of the best entertainment systems ever offered. MS did not forget that they are making a gaming console, but at the same time, they have added capabilities to the system that blows the PS4 out of the water.

With regards to your comments about the WiiU and the added feature of having a dedicated tablet, I don't think that's going to matter much, if at all. Particularly with tablets and smartphones being so prevalent nowadays, and with the fact that they are becoming cheaper and cheaper, everyone should have one in the next five years. I can see MS building up the Surface, and maybe even iPads and Android tabs, as another controller for the system. They have already begun to do this with the SmartGlass feature. That's why I think the WiiU is doomed. They had an amazing idea, but tied it to a dedicated tablet for their system (not to mention the hardware is pretty lacking compared to the XO and PS4).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Good write up OP - you should get your own tech blog set up with a summation like that.

Bottom line is MS cant win people over no matter what they do. If they had just showed the Xbox One and an hour of game exclusives people still would have been miffed, maybe more so. Yawn another forza, halo, COD, Battlefield, Gears, this years mandatory EA sports titles etc...

People that knew they were going to get one even before the launch are generally impressed with what was shown. Its the PS and PC fans that are the ones moaning the loudest. Everybody I know with an xbox 360 has seen the reveal and cant wait for release. Everyone else isn't that impressed because their loyalties lie elsewhere.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't played a playstation game in years. I have been a loyal ms fan for even lomger, however I'm moaning quite a bit. They are dancing around not giving an answer on used games so well that it leads everyone to conclude it will be the worse case scenario. Not to mention I don't like the way Kinect is being forced onto us I don't like it, I don't want it but I have no choice but to take it thus pay for it.

Now as I have been saying since the preview, there is always the possibility that Microsoft will say no to the fees on used games. As well as put in a function to completely disable the Kinect, or offer a version without it. If they do then I will be in line with the rest enjoying my Lumia 920 waiting to once again give Microsoft my hard earned money.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
And lookie there, EA talking about how the hardware will allow them to create even better GAMES this generation.

The Technology Behind Xbox One | LinkedIn

Yup, XO, definitely not a gaming console. :grin:

A lot of what people are saying about the social/tv aspects of Xbox One reminds me a lot of what a friend told me about Obamacare. True, no one wants to have health insurance forced on them but no one wants to get rid of their insurance once they've become accustomed to using it. People will become accustomed to mocking their friends on Skype WHILE playing online WITHOUT even pausing the system to make a call. Soon, going back to using just a controller will be like, "meh." It's like when people mocked Microsoft for introducing achievements and gamer scores. Now everyone's worried about their gamer score transferring to the Xbox One. The PS3 included achievements. The Wii U now has achievements. Heck, even WoW added achievements. Soon all this will be the norm and the second Microsoft dares try to take it away people are going to raise hell.

Last edited:

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't played a playstation game in years. I have been a loyal ms fan for even lomger, however I'm moaning quite a bit. They are dancing around not giving an answer on used games so well that it leads everyone to conclude it will be the worse case scenario. Not to mention I don't like the way Kinect is being forced onto us I don't like it, I don't want it but I have no choice but to take it thus pay for it.

Now as I have been saying since the preview, there is always the possibility that Microsoft will say no to the fees on used games. As well as put in a function to completely disable the Kinect, or offer a version without it. If they do then I will be in line with the rest enjoying my Lumia 920 waiting to once again give Microsoft my hard earned money.

No way they will have a model without it. It is an integral part of the system. Just think of it as getting Kinect for free :) And why would anyone want to disconnect it? Afraid of all the spying nonsense people post? If it adds functionality that's great, you still don't have to use it. I think there are actually going to be some great uses for the improved Kinect this time.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would buy 10 XBox Ones if I could. That's how devoted I am to Microsoft. I own a Windows 7 PC, a Surface Pro, a Windows Phone and I would buy 100x that if I could!

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Gizmodo (of all places) has a pretty good opinion piece about why gamers are upset.

You Don't Hate the Xbox One, You're Just Jealous

Yep the article is pretty spot on, the outrage is pretty terrible.. just because they didn't focus on gaming the Home Entertaiment Console is going to fail already, even though a game speific event is just around the corner and MS kept saying, E3.. E3.. E3, everybody seems to hate extra functionality when all they want is gaming, the mindset of some people is just crazy :<
Neither PS4 nor X1 really win me over as i have a PC fully capable of playing games, but the X1 controller will be mine.
From a feature perspective X1 wins by far but with that said Sony didn't fully show what the PS4 will be capable of in terms of non gaming related features yet, hopefully more to see at E3.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was saying before in my previous thread. The Xbox will play games, Hugh quality games, and it will do a he'll of a good job at it seeing as that's what it was made to do first. Wanna hear something else? It will also be a great media device for movies, music, tv and web browsing! We should all know even though the reveal barely shoed off games that THIS is what it was made for, high quality games. Instead of only getting a standard car, they added in all the bells and whistles for almost no extra cost!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
EpicBattleCry Video - Skirmish: 194 - XBOX ONE SPECIAL | GameTrailers

I don't usually watch EPC but the beer drinker (because he sounds like a beer drinker) that's really disappointed in the unveiling exemplifies how irrational gamers are. As the previously linked Gizmodo article pointed out, we already know the hardware is great for games. We already know Microsoft is shooting for a ton of exclusives. We already know that E3 is only a couple of freaking weeks away and that Microsoft/Sony is going to go game wild. Even with all this knowledge, gamers are still drawing hard lines in the sand regarding the Xbox One.

I believe a lot of so-called "gamers" are actually hoping that Microsoft bombs at E3 just to reenforce their erroneous perception of the console. It's like gamers either can't or simply refuse to acknowledge the bigger picture. What's great is when that one guy pointed out that Sony has very similar plans to Microsoft but haven't announced them yet. I can't wait to see gamers backtracking once they realize Sony and Microsoft are going for the exact same market.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What im waiting for is when they actually reveal the PS4 to be a big black box. Wonder where all the xbox one is ugly commenters will be then. Its not rocket science to work it out - the hardware is practically identical and you can bet the engineers responsible for the thermal dynamics came to the same decisions on size of the box for both machines

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
EpicBattleCry Video - Skirmish: 194 - XBOX ONE SPECIAL | GameTrailers

I don't usually watch EPC but the beer drinker (because he sounds like a beer drinker) that's really disappointed in the unveiling exemplifies how irrational gamers are. As the previously linked Gizmodo article pointed out, we already know the hardware is great for games. We already know Microsoft is shooting for a ton of exclusives. We already know that E3 is only a couple of freaking weeks away and that Microsoft/Sony is going to go game wild. Even with all this knowledge, gamers are still drawing hard lines in the sand regarding the Xbox One.

I believe a lot of so-called "gamers" are actually hoping that Microsoft bombs at E3 just to reenforce their erroneous perception of the console. It's like gamers either can't or simply refuse to acknowledge the bigger picture. What's great is when that one guy pointed out that Sony has very similar plans to Microsoft but haven't announced them yet. I can't wait to see gamers backtracking once they realize Sony and Microsoft are going for the exact same market.

My thoughts exactly, I can't understand about the complaints related to not focusing on games.. the hardware is there, rest is up to the game devs, really. In fact, I wouldnt have even watched a 1 hour press conference that only showed off the games. I know they are there, I know they will be good. What was actually interesting was the other features. It may not be a gaming console ONLY anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's still a gaming console FIRST.

That said, I do understand some of their gripes, like the used games policy being tightened. It makes sense and always did make sense though, the trading of old games as it was was really bad for gaming industry. I hope they find a good golden mid-way with dealing with this. The other gripe I sorta understand is the forcing of Kinect. I embrace the change, though, but I understand the arguments that it ups the price for those who really have no interest in anything related to kinect. That said, it's the same kind of fearing of change that the new Windows 8 start screen or back then phones/devices with touch screens had. Let's just hope that Kinect 2 is finally good enough hard and software that it can be the iPhone of these motion sensors. What I mean is that Apple didn't come even close to inventing touch screens on anything, they were just the first that managed to put it to levels that mainstreamed it.

That said, I do think that voice activation and motion detection are still hard technologies to mainstream. I for one don't really feel like talking to machines or if I just wanna lay on the couch playing, I hardly feel like getting up to do that "pinch-to-zoom" kinda movements with my hand to navigate the xbox. It's not quite the same as moving from physical buttons to touch screens IMO. But maybe already by the next-next-generation of consoles, people might think "lol remember when we only had the controller?" like we do know about featurephones.

I've also been wondering, what exactly did these gamers want to see? I realize that they wanted to see games, but are they really mad that their console will have pretty cool additional features? I don't complain that my smartphone has features I don't use, I'm happy that they are there for those who have need for it. How is it away from these "true gamers" that they can do more with their console than throw in a disc and play the game? At this day and age I would call it a ripoff if thats all the console was capable of doing to be honest.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12