Why I'm a Gamer and impressed with the Xbox One Unveiling

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the kids with no money (and can't use Ebay) are crying over used games and old heads (30+) who have boxes of old video game in their basement are crying about no backwards compatibility. Yet both of these groups buy smart phone games which suffer from the same issues...

Just saying, but there is a big difference between a $60 + game purchase and a $2.99 smartphone game purchase. Just saying.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty silly comment. You're saying most Americans don't like one of the best selling video game franchises? Uh, I don't think so. I knew more people who played fifa in college than Madden. And I have not played Madden since two console gens ago.

I'm saying soccer isn't a big-time sport in America, and it's not. It probably falls in around 6th, behind NASCAR. You can say you knew more people who played FIFA, but I can easily reply that I'm the only person I know who has played it, and that's in the 7 years since I got that game, yet I've known several people to own multiple Madden titles, myself included.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just saying, but there is a big difference between a $60 + game purchase and a $2.99 smartphone game purchase. Just saying.

Ok, it's the same story over on PC, which people try to call the "Master Race." They get Steam sales, sure, but they still have to pay $60 without any used game industry at launch.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Been reading lots of comments and articles that are mostly negative towards MS and the Xbox One (I know right who would have thought that) and the few blogs and comments that have been positive. But I have been thinking more and more that MS have done things right. As reported the target audience is 30+ which rules out the majority of the hardcore gamers that have been doing the majority of the complaining. If you think about how they've arrived at the 30+ group then what they have done so far ignoring all the rumours and speculation is pretty much spot on.

The 360 has been around for 10 years putting anyone in there 20's at launch now firmly in the 30+ bracket and as time has gone on the 360 has turned from a gaming console into the media centric device that it is now. Ive not really noticed it as time has gone on but thinking about how its transformed its fit in with my life as the years have rolled by.

Going from my early to mid 20's where gaming sessions were 12 hour marathon sessions and playing all weekend, getting home from work and playing till 2am to my late 20's early 30's where Ive got a stable relationship and a small child. The 360 isn't so much about gaming anymore its streaming movies on Netflix having parties and getting everyone up to play on the Kinect, games for my little girl that are Kinect enabled so she too now gets involved. My mammoth gaming sessions are now limited to a four or five hour slot at the weekend when the wife and child are asleep. The 360 has grown up with me and given me exactly what I have needed without me asking for it to change.

The Xbox One is now extending that even further - the things Ive grown up with over the last 10 years were all just a sort of training for what the Xbox One is promising to deliver. It will fit perfectly in with the way my life is and as I continue to get older will no doubt continue to evolve so that is appeals to what my children want and need. Games are not such a big part of my life anymore. While admittedly I will still try and keep the big kid inside me alive by going to midnight launches for the latest Halo or Battlefield game and playing till the early hours of the morning I know that overall my gaming time is reduced to under 10 hours a week. I don't miss it. Its just not a big part of my life anymore and have other things I would rather be doing. I believe MS have aimed the Xbox One firmly at people like me, people that were early adopters of the Xbox and the 360, people that have grown up and want things to make there lives less complicated, less cluttered.

The negativity drummed up isn't by people like me that the product was aimed at and the negative articles are skewing the device to a section of gamers that haven't grown up and evolved along with the 360. Those people aren't seeing the bigger picture that MS and the Xbox One is aiming at.

Maybe when they grow up they will.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't know, as I hadn't bought an EA title in 5 years until yesterday, when I bought NBA Jam on my Lumia 920. Their Online Pass was the biggest mistake I've ever witnessed in gaming, and I refused to buy from them until they announced its demise a few days ago (which is why I bought NBA Jam). However, I can definitively say that I have played every Madden from 06-12, and the ONLY improvement I can say that was noticeable was the inclusion of Ultimate Team. The AI was still as dumb as ever in 12, and while I've not played 13 myself, I've heard from folks that 13 really wasn't a big step up. As for FIFA--I played the 06 World Cup one and no other. It was OK, but I'm American, and we just don't care about soccer here, so it ends up being no fun to play with a bunch of no-named athletes at a sport we never televise.

You didn't miss much in Madden '13. EA has finally come out and admitted the Madden series for this generation has been disappointing (paraphrasing here. But that's essentially the gist of it).

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Been reading lots of comments and articles that are mostly negative towards MS and the Xbox One (I know right who would have thought that) and the few blogs and comments that have been positive. But I have been thinking more and more that MS have done things right. As reported the target audience is 30+ which rules out the majority of the hardcore gamers that have been doing the majority of the complaining. If you think about how they've arrived at the 30+ group then what they have done so far ignoring all the rumours and speculation is pretty much spot on.

The 360 has been around for 10 years putting anyone in there 20's at launch now firmly in the 30+ bracket and as time has gone on the 360 has turned from a gaming console into the media centric device that it is now. Ive not really noticed it as time has gone on but thinking about how its transformed its fit in with my life as the years have rolled by.

Going from my early to mid 20's where gaming sessions were 12 hour marathon sessions and playing all weekend, getting home from work and playing till 2am to my late 20's early 30's where Ive got a stable relationship and a small child. The 360 isn't so much about gaming anymore its streaming movies on Netflix having parties and getting everyone up to play on the Kinect, games for my little girl that are Kinect enabled so she too now gets involved. My mammoth gaming sessions are now limited to a four or five hour slot at the weekend when the wife and child are asleep. The 360 has grown up with me and given me exactly what I have needed without me asking for it to change.

The Xbox One is now extending that even further - the things Ive grown up with over the last 10 years were all just a sort of training for what the Xbox One is promising to deliver. It will fit perfectly in with the way my life is and as I continue to get older will no doubt continue to evolve so that is appeals to what my children want and need. Games are not such a big part of my life anymore. While admittedly I will still try and keep the big kid inside me alive by going to midnight launches for the latest Halo or Battlefield game and playing till the early hours of the morning I know that overall my gaming time is reduced to under 10 hours a week. I don't miss it. Its just not a big part of my life anymore and have other things I would rather be doing. I believe MS have aimed the Xbox One firmly at people like me, people that were early adopters of the Xbox and the 360, people that have grown up and want things to make there lives less complicated, less cluttered.

The negativity drummed up isn't by people like me that the product was aimed at and the negative articles are skewing the device to a section of gamers that haven't grown up and evolved along with the 360. Those people aren't seeing the bigger picture that MS and the Xbox One is aiming at.

wow, someone need to make an article from this comment. That is an amazing point of view to look at the Xbox One.
I read your comment twice and I CAN NOT AGREE MORE.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If I ever found out people I know in real life thought with the same mindset, I would cease to associate myself with them. That kind of stupidity is nothing I want to have to deal with.

I want to make an internet thread where people can try to propose valid arguments as to why the PS4 is better than the Xbox One. Then, I could update the original post with their argument followed by mine, ripping them to pieces.

With the power of the cloud, the Xbox One has TWICE the power of a PS4 at a minimum. How is there any logical argument that the PS4 is better for gaming!?...

I think many of the arguments aren't so much the PS4 is better (excluding fanboys). I think some of the backlash has been building for a bit now. The consensus the last few years among many from gaming sites has been that MSFT is focusing less on the "hard-core" gamer with stuff like the Kinnect and adding streaming services. This announcement for the Xbox One I think hit that nerve. I'm not saying its rational or that it isn't overreacting. I just think that's where its coming from. I also think the vague clarifications on how used games will work hasn't helped, after almost a year with the rumors floating around.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I think you're somewhat right here. I don't think you're the majproty of who they're aiming at, but you are who they're marketing too.

Lets be honest, I'm where you were back when the 360 launched right now. I'm 21 and I have 10 hour gaming sessions on the regular, and the Microsoft Xbox team KNOWS that we're going to buy it again. To the young gamers it's a no question, we built a legacy and a group of friends that we have on here. They know most of us are going to buy it, because unlike most technology, you can't jump ship and still have the same friends seeing as the only way to communicate is on the same platform. Microsoft knows me, my best friend, fianc?, brothers, step fathers, and all my xbox live friends are going to get the XB1 because if we don't then one of us is going to feel "left out." Most hardcore gamers (and casuals alike) know there's not any really difference in PS3 v X360, just like there will be no real difference in PS4vXB1. The games are going to be amazing, streaming going to be faster and more fluid, we browsing is going be be more efficient etc. Most people are gonna stay where they started. Now since we know both are gonna play games well and it's more likely for a PS3 user to upgrade to a PS4 and same goes vice verse for Xbox lets talk more.

Microsoft aimed this launch at the gamers who don't really play online, are casual, and families. This launch was basically a demo on "Hey, cut the bull, you know it can play games, and it will be able to do it extremely well, but look what else we can do." It was showing the premium features other consoles have yet to offer to draw in those who actually put the xbox in the living room. This is going to be the new game of games and people don't want a million things in front on the TV only ONE.

I want to be able to pull up my Xbox Music and blast it when I'm cleaning it, play it in the background while gaming, or listen while I fall asleep. I want to be able to Skype with friends while I'm gaming or watching the season finale of Family Guy, and talk to my girlfriend when she's on a work trip while I'm eating in my living room. I want to be able to walk into my house after a longs day work and get to where I left off in a movie on Netflix with a few words before I even touch the couch. I want to be able to watch youtube videos of Jenna Marbles with my fianc? in the living room, then secretly watch =3 by myself because I find RWJ more interesting. I want to be able to do countless things in my living room from ONE box without the hassle of input and output.

For anyone invested in the Microsoft Ecosystem this is that one box, and it just happens to be called the XBOX ONE

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Let me just add that I too understand what martinmc78 is saying. Especially in regards to being older and having more responsibilities that don't leave much time for gaming like we used to. I'll always be a gamer st heart and will never stop completely. I have a 360 and Wii U and both are used more for media consumption than for gaming. That will probably increase with a child on the way.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me just add that I too understand what martinmc78 is saying. Especially in regards to being older and having more responsibilities that don't leave much time for gaming like we used to. I'll always be a gamer st heart and will never stop completely. I have a 360 and Wii U and both are used more for media consumption than for gaming. That will probably increase with a child on the way.

Congratulations - Life changes a whole lot with kids around 28536_10150179814635150_1859078_n.jpg

Not even 6 months old and already trying to copy me with the controller.

Now all I get from her is "Daddy he killed you again, never mind keep trying. When is it my turn?"

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The negativity drummed up isn't by people like me that the product was aimed at and the negative articles are skewing the device to a section of gamers that haven't grown up and evolved along with the 360. Those people aren't seeing the bigger picture that MS and the Xbox One is aiming at. Maybe when they grow up they will.

I've grown up with videogames. I've owned a Pong console, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, GameBoy, GBA, Nintendo DS, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSOne, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, etc.

So it's not a matter of "growing up" with these consoles. I'm fine with extra functions. But when I want to play a game, I want to put it in and game. I'm done talking about it. Hopefully Microsoft will clarify what is actually going on. Otherwise, I'll find my gaming elsewhere. And so will about half of Microsoft's current userbase.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I think many of the arguments aren't so much the PS4 is better (excluding fanboys). I think some of the backlash has been building for a bit now. The consensus the last few years among many from gaming sites has been that MSFT is focusing less on the "hard-core" gamer with stuff like the Kinnect and adding streaming services. This announcement for the Xbox One I think hit that nerve. I'm not saying its rational or that it isn't overreacting. I just think that's where its coming from. I also think the vague clarifications on how used games will work hasn't helped, after almost a year with the rumors floating around.

Thank you. Since E3 when they first announced Project Natal, Microsoft has continually shifted their focus farther and farther away from gaming and on other services. Core gaming at least. While the Kinect is fun for stuff like parties & dancing games, it sucks as a means of core gaming (FPS, racing, fighter, etc.). I've watched with anticipation every E3 and have come away disappointed with what Microsoft has shown. I again await, but the big reveal was a disappointment. Most gamers weren't blown away by the original Kinect and don't really use it. Does Microsoft think it wise to shove it down our throat's now? Options are great, forced use is not. And the entire used games/loaning games fiasco that Microsoft can't seem to give a straight answer about and change their minds every day....wow.

As it has always been, developer support is dependent on the potential audience (installed base). We see this today with Windows Phone 8 getting less app support than iPhone and Droid because of a smaller userbase. The Wii U has little support becuase of it's low sales. If Microsoft alienates gamers, sales will be poor. Poor sales will lead to poor developer support. Poor developer support will lead to developers making their games for the competition. It's not my opinion, it is how things have happened all along.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't know, as I hadn't bought an EA title in 5 years until yesterday, when I bought NBA Jam on my Lumia 920. Their Online Pass was the biggest mistake I've ever witnessed in gaming, and I refused to buy from them until they announced its demise a few days ago (which is why I bought NBA Jam). However, I can definitively say that I have played every Madden from 06-12, and the ONLY improvement I can say that was noticeable was the inclusion of Ultimate Team. The AI was still as dumb as ever in 12, and while I've not played 13 myself, I've heard from folks that 13 really wasn't a big step up. As for FIFA--I played the 06 World Cup one and no other. It was OK, but I'm American, and we just don't care about soccer here, so it ends up being no fun to play with a bunch of no-named athletes at a sport we never televise.

I give up... Your American so Americans don't care about soccer??

That's a pretty silly comment. You're saying most Americans don't like one of the best selling video game franchises? Uh, I don't think so. I knew more people who played fifa in college than Madden. And I have not played Madden since two console gens ago.

I think a lot of Americans would disagree about not loving soccer. It is viewed here and has its own dedicated channel and comes on multiple channels. My son plays soccer and it is crowded every week at games and practices. I'm very much looking forward to the next FIFA release. It looks amazing, but will hold my full joy until I see actual gameplay.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've grown up with videogames. I've owned a Pong console, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, GameBoy, GBA, Nintendo DS, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSOne, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, etc.

So it's not a matter of "growing up" with these consoles. I'm fine with extra functions. But when I want to play a game, I want to put it in and game. I'm done talking about it. Hopefully Microsoft will clarify what is actually going on. Otherwise, I'll find my gaming elsewhere. And so will about half of Microsoft's current userbase.

Was fine until the last sentence.

Average game player is in mid-thirties. And vast majority in that age group aren't like you.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
If I ever found out people I know in real life thought with the same mindset, I would cease to associate myself with them. That kind of stupidity is nothing I want to have to deal with.

I want to make an internet thread where people can try to propose valid arguments as to why the PS4 is better than the Xbox One. Then, I could update the original post with their argument followed by mine, ripping them to pieces.

With the power of the cloud, the Xbox One has TWICE the power of a PS4 at a minimum. How is there any logical argument that the PS4 is better for gaming!?...

is that even new? look how people still react to windows 8 and the new start menu/screen... "I want to be productive so I will stay in win7" like if windows 8 took desktop away. also they say "it needs more clicks" only because shutdown button which isn't used more than 5 times at day is 1 click more compared to win7. also they say "I don't want a touch device" like if win8 took mouse and keyboard support away and "I don't want a tablet os" only because its fullscreen and shows more programs where you can launch stuff faster (better than crappy folder structure from old "all programs" at least)

see, that's a perfect example of human drama and stupidity. some haven't even used win8 and still talk bad about it. imagine xbox one, which none has access to it how people would react and talk about it only because they didn't show more about the gaming side like if it wasn't logical it will be there and its easier to announce the gaming (which I keep saying it hasn't changed over years) in E3 which is more appropriate for gaming stuff.

also NONE can say ps4 is better than xbox one. they use even different graphics API (because its obvious sony wont use directx) so how do you know the kind of game development a company will talke when doing a game on directx and opengl? what kind of optimization their engine has to directx x or opengl? none knows if the engine they are going to use is just better for directx or opengl api.
also the game wont ever use all the resources available in the console... when you play a game, do you see your 6/8 processor working at 100% all the time? no. same with memory and graphic card, so it doesn't matter how big the number is and how great hardware looks on paper... it doesn't mean its automatically better. because both OS are different and it can use hardware different, games can use hardware different for the way they were developed and everything can just run different for the simple fact one will use directx and the other opengl.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

The only difference is that people get off of their moral high-horse about DRM when the prices are cheap. Just look at Steam. Can't trade any of those games in but because you can catch crazy deals everyone is OK with it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations - Life changes a whole lot with kids around View attachment 34787

Not even 6 months old and already trying to copy me with the controller.

Now all I get from her is "Daddy he killed you again, never mind keep trying. When is it my turn?"

Thanks! And a late congrats to you too. Is that a picture of your little one? She's adorable .

That's one of the things im looking forward to. My wife doesn't care to sit and game with me. So now, I'll have a little buddy to chill with, lol.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! And a late congrats to you too. Is that a picture of your little one? She's adorable .

That's one of the things im looking forward to. My wife doesn't care to sit and game with me. So now, I'll have a little buddy to chill with, lol.

Thanks - That's an old picture but it was the first time she grabbed the xbox controller - shes nearly 4 now so quite a little madam - and likes to play the sesame street Kinect game quite a lot. She figured out that I was giving her a controller that wasn't working shortly after her 2nd birthday so now I actually have to let her play.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
im a gamer and think the press event was very good, i wasnt originally too excited but after watching the event afterwards...it got excited. the games will come at E3, "hardcore gamers" are taking that event way too literally...the console isnt just a media center...it will have the games backing it...but the event was just to show off the consoles look and high view concept.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos