Spec analysis for Xbox One and hardware comparison to PS4

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
your not grasping it either... no one is saying consoles are going to be more powerful.

and the Xbox One runs 3 OS's btw

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Technically its only one OS, a windows 8 core utilizing a virtual machine/Hyper V for the "other operating system(s)". But, like any console, the developers can still program directly for the hardware.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Technically its only one OS, a windows 8 core utilizing a virtual machine/Hyper V for the "other operating system(s)". But, like any console, the developers can still program directly for the hardware.
whatever it is... Microsoft says it runs 3 OS's

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
for this gen: PC>PlayStation4>XboxOne>WiiU
seems like that has always been the case. except that last gen the ps3 was too hard to program so often it's on par with the xbox360

There are controllers for PC. There's an Xbox controller for Windows I believe.

Yes a PC has performance limiting APIs and drivers. But it often simply brute-forces its way through those.
For example, a Core i7 3930K 6-core set up will own any and all console CPU and a Geforce GTX Titan will also own any and all console GPU. these chips are simply orders of magnitude more powerful than console hardware. and the best part is that every 2 years, the max power of the PC increase while that only happens every decade for consoles, Nintendo notwithstanding since they always use last-gen-level hardware. Also, as far as memory is concerned, the CPU I mentioned as 15MB of very fast on-chip L3 cache much faster than whatever SDRAM inside the xbox one. PC also can have up to 32 GB of the fastest DDR3 system RAM (almost 3 GHz) and 6 GB of GDDR5 graphics ram having 1.5x the bandwidth of the ps4 if you desire.

So yes, current gen unreleased consoles are quite powerful. They are basically specialized PC well-designed for their task but the Personal Computer with its constantly upgrading hardwares and pure brute-force power will always stay on top sooner or later.

PS: I forgot to mention. the xbox one has 2 operating systems. one specialized xbox os and a modified version of windows 8 running concurrently using a software layer. so there goes some of your software argument

Still incorrect. I don't think you quite understand how much performance can vary with a different setup.

Your graphics card uses a PCI Express slot/bus. This system needs to be modular and needs to work with all different kinds of cards. I don't think you quite understand how much of a toll this takes on performance capabilities.

Your RAM sticks use a Memory slot/bus. Once again, the performance is limited severely when compared to RAM that is soldered directly onto the motherboard.

Every console and PC has software, so you did not justify any evidence against my software argument. What differs is what is needed/included in the different layers of architecture inside of the software. You cannot strip a PC operating system down as much as a console operating system is stripped down. There are software layers that are completely eliminated on a console, and these layers are impossible to eliminate on a PC.

You are looking at every aspect by itself, and not at the system as a whole. Yes you are correct, every component in the console has a PC component that outperforms it. But the way the components work together and the way the actual electronic circuit is formed and travels is not able to be replicated in a PC.

That's why it's referred to as the console's architecture.

So let's bring in actual architecture as an analogy. You're comparing the strength of wood to the strength of steel. Of course steel is stronger. What I'm saying is that a wooden structure can be stronger than a steel structure depending on the design.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the 360 had a "lesser" GPU than the PS3 and most games you can't tell the difference. The reason why is developers have to make games for multiple platforms and they won't spend the extra dough to take advantage of the tweaks. The game Dishonored comes to mind. Graphically impressive but basically identical on both platforms.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
the 360 had a "lesser" GPU than the PS3 and most games you can't tell the difference. The reason why is developers have to make games for multiple platforms and they won't spend the extra dough to take advantage of the tweaks. The game Dishonored comes to mind. Graphically impressive but basically identical on both platforms.
misconception that started pre PS3 launch.

Xbox 360 vs. PS3: Round 5 (GPU) - YouTube

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
A PC, PS4, or Xbox One are only as powerful as the skills of the game developer making games for it.

So, arguing about which system has more graphically impressive games is moot. The PC and possibly the PS4 have greater POTENTIAL to be incredibly good looking compared to the XBOX One...but only if a developer spends the resources and time to tap into that potential.

A game on each platform will all look really good and we're at the point (I think) that arguing about which one looks better is becoming increasingly more difficult to find the clear differences.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
A PC, PS4, or Xbox One are only as powerful as the skills of the game developer making games for it.

So, arguing about which system has more graphically impressive games is moot. The PC and possibly the PS4 have greater POTENTIAL to be incredibly good looking compared to the XBOX One...but only if a developer spends the resources and time to tap into that potential.

A game on each platform will all look really good and we're at the point (I think) that arguing about which one looks better is becoming increasingly more difficult to find the clear differences.

I like your statement, but I think that the Xbox One and PS4 have greater potential to be more powerful than the PC for some time. Eventually the PC will catch up with better hardware, but I think they will be more powerful than the PC because of the software. The software is optimized for the hardware in a way that's not possible on PC. Also, the architectures of the silicon boards are very unique and different.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think gameplay is the most important factor in a game. It could look fantastic and still be a crap game. Unless the Xbox one displays stick figures and the ps4 has realistic humans its really not going to be that big a deal. The ways in which the One's cloud features can enhance a game are more interesting to me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought the two systems were closer from a spec perspective, with the only advantage going to the PS4 with GDDR5 RAM... But after reading that article, the graphics processors are quite far apart, on paper anyways.

IDK why it is bugging me so much? The One is more than just a pretty face when you consider the Kinect and TV integration. I’m wondering how much more my wife will use the One (TV/Internet) vs. the 360 (which hasn’t been used much lately)?

I’d really like to see some side by side videos of the same game, optimized for both the One and PS4. However I doubt developers will put much effort forth to push the PS4 to its limits when the game will probably target the One in the first place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss