It's starting to be abbreviated as "the One"

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You believe that? Because it's pretty much the general conclusion that if it were not for Halo Combat Evolved launching with the original Xbox, it would have been a failure. And Halo is made by Microsoft Game Studios...the hardware manufacturer. You better believe that exclusive titles-1st party in particular-have a strong bearing on the success or failure of a console.

Microsoft is going to have to bring their A-game. Regardless of features, bells & whistles, apps and what-have-you, the ability to play great games is first & foremost in people's minds. I have many, many hardcore, die-hard Xbox 360 gamers who are close friends & associates. They have all voiced their displeasure with what Microsoft is doing and how they just won't give a firm answer.

Your many friends are being impatient and feel the need to be coddled.

It's not in MS's best interest to completely destroy their announcement roadmap just because some people who seem incapable of waiting 2 weeks are demanding answers immediately.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
As much as I try. When I say "One" I think of the HTC flagship. They can first, and I find it to be a more memorable product. I've relegated the Xbox One to just X1.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
As much as I try. When I say "One" I think of the HTC flagship. They can first, and I find it to be a more memorable product. I've relegated the Xbox One to just X1.

I think X1 makes the most sense. I'm curious if they will continue the number sequence with the next Xbox. They seem to be switching most of their products to numbered items now.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
DLC abuse? Dude if you don't like it don't buy it. They will quit making it if it didn't make any money, some people must actually like DLC since they are making money.

The problem with that is developers are cutting parts out of games to sell them as DLC. You are no longer buying a complete game. Recent examples is all the Assassin's Creed games having an exclusive level at Walmart, Gamestop and Best Buy respectively. Three chapters cut from the main game, available on day one from individual retailers. You then-of course-can buy the other two online. But it's cut content. The Prothean character & mission cut from Mass Effect 3 and being offered as day-1 DLC. The REAL ending of Azura's Wrath from Capcom being a paid DLC download. Characters complete & ready to go, locked on the Street Fighter X Tekken disc to be charged extra for later.

As long as the sheep are fine with companies ripping them off, companies will continue to do so. Remember that next time you purchase overpriced Season Passes and games with these rediculous retailer exclusives.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem with that is developers are cutting parts out of games to sell them as DLC. You are no longer buying a complete game. Recent examples is all the Assassin's Creed games having an exclusive level at Walmart, Gamestop and Best Buy respectively. Three chapters cut from the main game, available on day one from individual retailers. You then-of course-can buy the other two online. But it's cut content. The Prothean character & mission cut from Mass Effect 3 and being offered as day-1 DLC. The REAL ending of Azura's Wrath from Capcom being a paid DLC download. Characters complete & ready to go, locked on the Street Fighter X Tekken disc to be charged extra for later.

As long as the sheep are fine with companies ripping them off, companies will continue to do so. Remember that next time you purchase overpriced Season Passes and games with these rediculous retailer exclusives.

Would you be happier with a more expensive game at retail instead?

The games are complete without the DLC. You don't need to buy it. I don't buy most DLC.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Would you be happier with a more expensive game at retail instead? The games are complete without the DLC. You don't need to buy it. I don't buy most DLC.

Did you not read what I said? Where I gave examples of games NOT complete in their retail packages? Once, games were priced according to how much value you got from them. RPG's cost more than adventure games. Adventure games cost more than fighters. And you had brand new titles at budget prices. Where is it written in stone that a 5-hour campaign adventure title is worth $60, the same as a 100+ hour RPG costs?

No, games you buy at retail are NOT complete games. And whether you choose to ignore the DLC or not, it is in FACT parts of the storyline REMOVED from the final product to gouge consumers for extra money.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

So don't buy them.

Life is so miserable as a gamer :'(

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So don't buy them.

Life is so miserable as a gamer :'(

I don't buy them. EA, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft...I don't buy anything from them. And each company that decides to pull these stunts, I add them to to "no buy" list. Take Two is soon to be added.

On a side note, any reason in particular why you feel the need to be antagonistic toward me? I mean, you follow my posts with smart-*** little comments and whine for threads to be closed because the topics discussed are not to your liking. Seems childish to me.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy them. EA, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft...I don't buy anything from them. And each company that decides to pull these stunts, I add them to to "no buy" list. Take Two is soon to be added.

On a side note, any reason in particular why you feel the need to be antagonistic toward me? I mean, you follow my posts with smart-*** little comments and whine for threads to be closed because the topics discussed are not to your liking. Seems childish to me.

Because first you complain about the uncertainties with the new Xbox and games, even though it's well known these things will be announced at E3 which is less than 3 weeks away. And you continue to go on and on about how bad Microsoft is screwing this up based on rumors and non-concrete disclosures. Then, once that burns out you continue to complain by bringing up the "DLC Abuse," first claiming its a Microsoft thing. Then you move onto the publishers about it, even though you don't HAVE to buy the games. And when people say so what, don't buy the games, you insist its some atrocity that these companies are using DLC. Even though it's every companies goal to make more money.

All of this is in a thread about what the name of the Xbox is. And I'm the one being childish? :/

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I see people calling it "X1" most of the time. People tend to shorten console names as much as possible and "X1" sound easier than saying "The One".
Example conversation:

Joe "Hey Bobby what's up?"

Bobby "Not much man, just playing a little (The One) (X1)".

Joe "You know that they have a new (The One) (X1) controller at Gamestop"

Bobby "Nice! Oh, and I just ordered the first issue of (The One) (X1) mag yesterday!"

Seriously...Isn't it obvious.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Because first you complain about the uncertainties with the new Xbox and games, even though it's well known these things will be announced at E3 which is less than 3 weeks away. And you continue to go on and on about how bad Microsoft is screwing this up based on rumors and non-concrete disclosures. Then, once that burns out you continue to complain by bringing up the "DLC Abuse," first claiming its a Microsoft thing. Then you move onto the publishers about it, even though you don't HAVE to buy the games. And when people say so what, don't buy the games, you insist its some atrocity that these companies are using DLC. Even though it's every companies goal to make more money.
All of this is in a thread about what the name of the Xbox is. And I'm the one being childish? :/

I thought it was well known that at the big reveal, Microsoft was going to lay it all out there. They didn't. Will they be any more forthcoming at E3? You say it's "well known" and I wonder where you get your information that nobody else seems to have.

As for DLC, of course I don't have to buy the games. And I don't. But only a fool supports companies that abuse them. Enjoy playing the fool. I'm sure Microsoft will be happy to watch you and privelage you with adds on your screen that you are paying to see, restrictive DRM and all the widgets you can download until your heart is content. Good day sir.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I see people calling it "X1" most of the time. People tend to shorten console names as much as possible and "X1" sound easier than saying "The One".
Example conversation:

Joe "Hey Bobby what's up?"

Bobby "Not much man, just playing a little (The One) (X1)".

Joe "You know that they have a new (The One) (X1) controller at Gamestop"

Bobby "Nice! Oh, and I just ordered the first issue of (The One) (X1) mag yesterday!"

Seriously...Isn't it obvious.

X1 is the most sane step as the XBOX 360 was the.. X360, the sooner everyone is using X1 the better :)

SilverSee

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, definitely it will be called "the One".

I think Microsoft's problem with their reveal was that they underestimated how childish and immature certain segments of the "core" gamer audience can be. The Xbox has always had the street cred as the hardcore gaming console; I don't think Microsoft realized that people could doubt their commitment to games (particularly when they said *in advance* that the gaming focus would be at E3). I think some gamers are just miffed that they weren't the center of attention.

My take: branching out into "entertainment" is probably the only way the dedicated game console will survive the mobile onslaught, and Microsoft's focus here is meant to ensure that the console remains a viable games platform for the future. If TV helps get more Xbox's into living rooms around the world, I say "bring it".

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, definitely it will be called "the One".

I think Microsoft's problem with their reveal was that they underestimated how childish and immature certain segments of the "core" gamer audience can be. The Xbox has always had the street cred as the hardcore gaming console; I don't think Microsoft realized that people could doubt their commitment to games (particularly when they said *in advance* that the gaming focus would be at E3). I think some gamers are just miffed that they weren't the center of attention.

My take: branching out into "entertainment" is probably the only way the dedicated game console will survive the mobile onslaught, and Microsoft's focus here is meant to ensure that the console remains a viable games platform for the future. If TV helps get more Xbox's into living rooms around the world, I say "bring it".

Exactly!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Did you not read what I said? Where I gave examples of games NOT complete in their retail packages? Once, games were priced according to how much value you got from them. RPG's cost more than adventure games. Adventure games cost more than fighters. And you had brand new titles at budget prices. Where is it written in stone that a 5-hour campaign adventure title is worth $60, the same as a 100+ hour RPG costs?

No, games you buy at retail are NOT complete games. And whether you choose to ignore the DLC or not, it is in FACT parts of the storyline REMOVED from the final product to gouge consumers for extra money.

They are complete games without the DLC.

You just happen to want the DLC because it gives you added story.

High-end games are eexpensive. Studios need to find ways to pay for all of this work.

We have a proposed solution where they'll earn money from used sales. But people are whining.

But if they charge for non-necessary content, people whine.

But if they make tthe game inexpensively, people will whine.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was well known that at the big reveal, Microsoft was going to lay it all out there. They didn't. Will they be any more forthcoming at E3? You say it's "well known" and I wonder where you get your information that nobody else seems to have.

As for DLC, of course I don't have to buy the games. And I don't. But only a fool supports companies that abuse them. Enjoy playing the fool. I'm sure Microsoft will be happy to watch you and privelage you with adds on your screen that you are paying to see, restrictive DRM and all the widgets you can download until your heart is content. Good day sir.

Sigh... You're persistant, I'll give you that.

- We had to reveal Xbox One to the world. There's lots of non-game stuff that we had to talk about. Some of the really cool stuff. Now that at E3, we've done all that. - Operations Manager Eric Neustadter
- [E3 is] all about the games - Senior Developer Laura Massey

They made the first reveal about everything it can do besides just playing games, and E3 is focused at the gaming aspect.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sigh... You're persistant, I'll give you that.

- We had to reveal Xbox One to the world. There's lots of non-game stuff that we had to talk about. Some of the really cool stuff. Now that at E3, we've done all that. - Operations Manager Eric Neustadter
- [E3 is] all about the games - Senior Developer Laura Massey

They made the first reveal about everything it can do besides just playing games, and E3 is focused at the gaming aspect.
Just to add to that, here's a quote from Major Nelson in Joystiq's post about the event on April 24th, nearly a month beforehand:

"On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19 days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games," said Xbox's community guru Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb.

Joystiq

Fun fact: Not even "Major Nelson" knew the name of the Xbox One until I think maybe the day before the event or hours before the event (my memory is fading). He mentioned that in a podcast. A few Microsofties he had on the show with him didn't even have any clue. They really kept this "One" name in the dark. And also, neither Xbox 720 nor Xbox Infinity were even remotely thought of by anyone at Microsoft, nor did anyone falsely leak it out there to try and throw everyone off the scent. But not many people knew at Microsoft that there was no leak, so they might have let even Microsoft employees themselves believe that Microsoft "leaked" the names (by simply not saying anything, I suppose, or the "not commenting on rumors" line). Sneaky sneaky. I'm happy they did so well at keeping the Xbox name and looks so secret, as well as the UI and some of the stuff they were showing off. Made for a nice surprise :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234