10-07-2013 01:37 PM
74 123
tools
    I'm with you on the non-gaming aspect to Kinect. Very much so. Like I mentioned in another thread, this is a spring board to what we'll, one day be doing in general computing. Remember, the Kinect is coming to Windows.
    06-13-2013 07:22 AM
    I just thought of another non-game aspect that has me really excited.

Right now I use a harmony remote to control my TV, DirecTV, XBOX 360, and PS3 (I had to buy a special dongle for the PS3).

I'll be selling my PS3 to pay for the XBOX One, but currently there is a small error in my harmony remote that I haven't been able to fix and it drives my wife and I nuts. It never remembers the input (when turning on from being off) of what I'm trying to watch. I always have to hit the 'help' button to switch it to the right input. In only works if I want to watch/play something that was on when the last person turned it off (sounds more complicated than it really is, but its annoying).

Anyways, with the XBOX One, universal remotes are a thing of the past. No longer do I have to manually hit the 'activity' button to watch DirecTV or watch a movie or play a game. It all goes through the XBOX One now. And with a Kinect I can say,

XBOX On, watch DirecTV (or whatever), watch ESPN/Syfy/BBC America and it'll change it to that channel for me.

I don't have to mess with inputs
    I don't have to mess with buttons in the dark.
    I don't have to 'teach' anyone where the buttons/channels/etc.. are.

Just talk. Tell the XBOX what you want to do and it'll do it. Wow.

That's awesome.
    06-13-2013 09:40 AM
    I hope that everyone's cable/satellite provider will be available at launch, otherwise we'll get another round of Debbie Downers. I would imagine the bigger providers will be on board at launch, with the smaller ones to follow within three months.
    06-13-2013 11:34 AM
    does kinect support engl only or can it do other languages? The real test is your accent. I'm stoked about this and illumiroom. . My guess is illumiroom will be coming next year.
    06-13-2013 11:41 AM
    Here is the current listings for Kinect 1.0:

Supported locales

With Kinect, you can control your Xbox 360 console by using your voice.
    Speech recognition is supported in the following locales and languages:
    Locale Language
    Australia English
    Canada English
    Canada French
    France French
    Germany German
    Ireland English
    Italy Italian
    Japan Japanese
    Mexico Spanish
    New Zealand English
    Spain Spanish
    United Kingdom English
    United States English
    Check back here for updates on voice recognition support in additional countries.
    Note Bing Voice Search is supported in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
    Words on the screen appear in the language set for your Xbox LIVE account or in the language set on your Xbox 360 console.

Kinect Speech Recognition | Kinect Voice Recognition | Kinect Voice Commands - Xbox.com
    06-13-2013 11:46 AM
    Plus the video at the link looks great.

Hideo Kojima Praises The Xbox One, May Integrate Kinect And SmartGlass In MGS 5 GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

Contarary to popular opinion he is all praise for the new Kinect and he may integrate it in Metal Gear Solid 5.
    The Kinect itself brings a lot of different capabilities as well and I will like to see what I can do with the voice command, and the movement with the gestures and see what we can do with that, he said in an interview via Major Nelsons Xbox channel.
    06-24-2013 11:44 PM

Good video showing tracking features.
    Vallos likes this.
    06-25-2013 06:36 AM
    One simple thing that could be done very conviniently with Kinect is situations where you'll speak anyway. For example "Chat to 'gamertag' (gamertag being something normal) or when someone sends you Chat invite, just say "Answer to Chat". Or if speach recognizion works, you could send voice messages without hassling on the menus.
    06-26-2013 04:53 AM
    Or if speach recognizion works, you could send voice messages without hassling on the menus.
    The problem is that not even half of all X1 owners speak english natively, so they most likely wouldn't send messages in english anyways and voice recognition for messages probably wont work well enough for anything but english anyways.

I like your other ideas though.
    06-26-2013 05:03 AM
    Didn't want to make a new thread, but could be an interesting read from someone who got hands on with the Kinect.

I
    08-10-2013 06:03 AM
    So......, uh, Do the Kinect got to be plug in at all times still? Can I still play games without it plug in?
    08-10-2013 07:05 AM
    From what we know, it needs to be plugged. It might be that you can't really even operate the system very far without it being plugged. I'd imagine it will just give you a popup saying "Please connect the Kinect" kind of thing that wont go away until it's in. You can still pretty much turn it off for the most parts in the privacy settings, but they've apparently put some crucial hardware into the kinect (it is huge for what it is) that the X1 uses regardless of whether it actually uses the imaging features.
    08-10-2013 07:21 AM
    No, they said it HAS to be plugged in to POST. For those who don't know, that sound your desktop makes when it starts--that BEEP--that's the computer attempting to POST. The console won't turn on without the Kinect attached. What has me curious is what would occur if you unplugged it after the console gets up and running.
    08-10-2013 02:01 PM
    Aha, not really familiar with the term, but it seems like some super crucial part of the process :D I was expecting that it would just give a popup telling you to plug it back.. would seem like a pretty bad design choice to have it crash when it unplugs, but I guess it goes as far as to show how the kinect actually runs some serious hardware and processes and it's not just for some motion detecting gimmicks alone.
    08-10-2013 02:40 PM
    It very well might end up that you're correct, hard to say. It might be that upon that failure to POST, it pops up an error about the Kinect, we'll have to see upon release.
    08-11-2013 01:52 AM
    No, they said it HAS to be plugged in to POST. For those who don't know, that sound your desktop makes when it starts--that BEEP--that's the computer attempting to POST. The console won't turn on without the Kinect attached. What has me curious is what would occur if you unplugged it after the console gets up and running.
    Aha, not really familiar with the term, but it seems like some super crucial part of the process :D I was expecting that it would just give a popup telling you to plug it back.. would seem like a pretty bad design choice to have it crash when it unplugs, but I guess it goes as far as to show how the kinect actually runs some serious hardware and processes and it's not just for some motion detecting gimmicks alone.
    This is breaking my heart.
    08-11-2013 05:59 AM
    What are you on about?
    08-11-2013 10:30 AM
    Well, in a nutshell it seems that he is very much against having Kinect plugged in. He has apparently overcome the fact that he have to pay the "extra price" for Xbox One as it comes with Kinect and would likely suffice if he just didnt have to plug it in, despite having one around. The reasoning I guess would be likely related to privacy or logistical arrangements in the room he usually plays in.
    08-11-2013 11:07 AM
    Oh, I thought he was talking about something else. I agree that it's a total garbage move. All it does is lessen the chances I will buy the console, as finding a space in my room for that thing's just another inconvenience to add to the entirety of the Xbox One's existence.
    08-11-2013 02:40 PM
    No room for Kinect?? Live in a shoebox?
    08-11-2013 08:57 PM
    Well, in a nutshell it seems that he is very much against having Kinect plugged in. He has apparently overcome the fact that he have to pay the "extra price" for Xbox One as it comes with Kinect and would likely suffice if he just didnt have to plug it in, despite having one around. The reasoning I guess would be likely related to privacy or logistical arrangements in the room he usually plays in.
    Courtney S likes this.
    08-12-2013 05:35 AM
    IGN updated their Ask Microsoft Anything thread today. One question was asked about what happens if your Kinect breaks. Well, it turns out that your console will run just fine. You just won't be able to run games/apps that require the Kinect to function.

That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isnt plugged in, although you wont be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.
    Ask Microsoft Anything About Xbox One - IGN
    08-12-2013 04:34 PM
    Next set of Xbox News: Xbox One No Longer Called Xbox One.
    08-12-2013 05:06 PM
    No room for Kinect?? Live in a shoebox?
    I have room. I just don't care to make it. It's not a worthwhile peripheral for my gaming habits.
    08-12-2013 06:37 PM
    Awesome. As I've said before, I am OK with having to pay for the Kinect, but the idea of forcing it to be plugged-in bothered me, considering I don't have a personal use for it. This news basically has me locked-in to get the Xbox One as soon as I have the money to (be that Christmas or my birthday in May).
    08-12-2013 06:43 PM
74 123