DVR functionality?

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe that functionality is quite difficult plus you probably need a capture card not just gfx card as well as potentially running into monopoly issues?

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
True, I assumed that it was due to licensing issues with the various providers. If that could be worked out, what a great feature to have. I probably won't use the HDMI pass through option to watch TV on the Xbox One since it won't have that capability.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^If it lets me control my DVR, as in set recordings, view recordings, etc. then I think it will be good. I have to believe they are working on this because they gotta know most people watch TV via DVR now. But they really stressed the term "Live TV" at the reveal.

But I agree, I would love for the Xbox to replace my DVR. I hate that POS cable box.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya I think it is mainly licensing issues as to why there is no tv dvr. There is "game dvr" in that game play is captured and can be saved.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft has the great Windows Media Center software that acts as a DVR on a PC and when you add a Ceton Infini PCIe card with a cable tv M card, you can record 4 (and soon 6) cable channels at a time, onto unlimited size hard disks.

We eliminated 3 cable tv boxes by installing the Windows Media Center and two Xboxs. We use the "media extender" function on the Xboxes to access all the media on the PC hard disk and the live cable tv channels from the Ceton card in the PC. This provides us with a whole house media center with access to tv, DVR, photos, and music collection on all our TVs! It's amazing. There are ZUNE like visuals, while listening to music too.

So it should be possible to build such a device, into the new Xbox One but they didn't?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else wondered why MS doesn't build in DVR into the Xbox One? I'd love to get rid of my current DVR.

Here is the real correct answer why: It's not possible.

The Xbox One can only see the video stream that your cable box sends it. In order to capture DVR, your cable box would have to be set to the channel you want to DRV and it would have to be on. With Xbox One, you could never DVR anything and watch something different at the same time. You would have to watch whatever you were DVRing.

So, it's easier to just let your cable box handle the DVR, and have the Xbox ONE control the DVR on your cable box.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is the real correct answer why: It's not possible.

The Xbox One can only see the video stream that your cable box sends it. In order to capture DVR, your cable box would have to be set to the channel you want to DRV and it would have to be on. With Xbox One, you could never DVR anything and watch something different at the same time. You would have to watch whatever you were DVRing.

So, it's easier to just let your cable box handle the DVR, and have the Xbox ONE control the DVR on your cable box.

If you could control your DVR (set/view recordings) from Xbox One, I would be more than happy with just that functionality.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you could control your DVR (set/view recordings) from Xbox One, I would be more than happy with just that functionality.

I don't see why not haha. The custom UI provided by the cable box should be completely usable. Therefore, the controller should simulate the 4 directions (up down left right) and the enter/ok button that you would find on ANY modern cable remote. Most cable boxes can be completely controlled using on the Direction buttons and Enter/Ok button, so it should be possible.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup and even still use 2 Linksys DMA2200's which still work for live TV with W8. I am curious to learn how the One will or will not function with my current Ceton powered rig. If the One will integrate I will be very happy. If it doesn't and requires a POS cable DVR I will be less than pleased. We may learn more next week, though as it's a gaming targeted week I believe we will have to wait to hear more. I don't have any cableco equipment in my house other than a tuning adapter and guess which piece of equipment has failed in the last year....

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't and requires a POS cable DVR I will be less than pleased.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Just recording for an hour at 8pm on channel 912 is simple childs play, Microsoft could do that easily. (assuming the Xbox one has the background console/disk performance to do that without affecting gaming).

The difficult bit is the detection of programs moving in time, getting extended, clash detection etc. The signalling for that is very varied, every different company has little differences, and multiply that internationally, and that's a major headache!

Especially when most of the high end DVRs these days have companion apps on iOS/Android, etc. All of which can get the service information from the box, and schedule a recording on the box. If I were Microsoft I wouldn't bother writing a DVR, i'd just make sure the xbox one was capable of running an app very similar to the Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 version. So Microsoft don't do anything at all, the TV companies write companion apps for xbox themselves.

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Prepare to be disappointed.

Just recording for an hour at 8pm on channel 912 is simple childs play, Microsoft could do that easily. (assuming the Xbox one has the background console/disk performance to do that without affecting gaming).

The difficult bit is the detection of programs moving in time, getting extended, clash detection etc. The signalling for that is very varied, every different company has little differences, and multiply that internationally, and that's a major headache!

Especially when most of the high end DVRs these days have companion apps on iOS/Android, etc. All of which can get the service information from the box, and schedule a recording on the box. If I were Microsoft I wouldn't bother writing a DVR, i'd just make sure the xbox one was capable of running an app very similar to the Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 version. So Microsoft don't do anything at all, the TV companies write companion apps for xbox themselves.

Companion apps for what? Do you really think that many people out there have a Tivo that supports that type of technology? Think of how many Time Warner Cable and Cox customers out there are stuck with outdated DVRs that have no interesting in paying even more for a Tivo subscription.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Companion apps for what? Do you really think that many people out there have a Tivo that supports that type of technology? Think of how many Time Warner Cable and Cox customers out there are stuck with outdated DVRs that have no interesting in paying even more for a Tivo subscription.

Surely that's the point. Expecting Microsoft to give you something for free, that you would get charged for elsewhere is a bit of a pipe dream. All it will do is annoy companies Microsoft wants to work with.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has the great Windows Media Center software that acts as a DVR on a PC and when you add a Ceton Infini PCIe card with a cable tv M card, you can record 4 (and soon 6) cable channels at a time, onto unlimited size hard disks.

We eliminated 3 cable tv boxes by installing the Windows Media Center and two Xboxs. We use the "media extender" function on the Xboxes to access all the media on the PC hard disk and the live cable tv channels from the Ceton card in the PC. This provides us with a whole house media center with access to tv, DVR, photos, and music collection on all our TVs! It's amazing. There are ZUNE like visuals, while listening to music too.

So it should be possible to build such a device, into the new Xbox One but they didn't?

Same here, I have a Media Center setup with an Ceton Infini PCIe card (with other tuners for a total of 12 tuners) and a few xbox 360s for exenders. Infact, I was a Windows Media Center MVP for 2010 and 2011, also certified in WMC for home intergration (I did run my own business building custom MCE based machines for about 2 years). I do know Media Center very well :)

I do hope Microsoft could use Media Center as tuner sources on Xbox One. That would be awsome to use the Xbox One's new interface as a Media Center Extender... Never mind the tuner setup for it would be easy.

I know they broke up the eHome team but, I still hope they do something with it and move forward with it on Xbox One (and release WMC "Xbox One" for the PC, that would be cool)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to piggy back on your thread. I like a lot of things about the new Xbone but I'm not entirely sure if it's going to actually work for me. I have a media center and three 360s for all my TV needs, and no cable boxes. Since the Xbone isn't going to do any DVR stuff does that mean that it'd be pointless to even get an Xbone except for the gaming aspect? We use our 360s for media probably 80% of the time. Basically the way I understand it I'm not going to actually be able to use the Xbone for TV at all without scrapping my existing setup, and it would be more expensive and give me less functionality to actually switch to cable boxes.

So basically in a huge bout of irony, my fully MS TV setup cannot be used with an Xbone and is actually preventing me from getting one since I can't even feed my existing TV setup into it. This is depressing. :(

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to piggy back on your thread. I like a lot of things about the new Xbone but I'm not entirely sure if it's going to actually work for me. I have a media center and three 360s for all my TV needs, and no cable boxes. Since the Xbone isn't going to do any DVR stuff does that mean that it'd be pointless to even get an Xbone except for the gaming aspect? We use our 360s for media probably 80% of the time. Basically the way I understand it I'm not going to actually be able to use the Xbone for TV at all without scrapping my existing setup, and it would be more expensive and give me less functionality to actually switch to cable boxes.

So basically in a huge bout of irony, my fully MS TV setup cannot be used with an Xbone and is actually preventing me from getting one since I can't even feed my existing TV setup into it. This is depressing. :(

If the Xbox One supports being a Media Extender, your current setup won't change. Right now, your Xbox 360's do not handle DVR. Your media center PC is the machine that handles all the DVR. So if Xbox One supports being a media extender, the only things that would change is that your Xbox 360's would be replaced by Xbox One's. Or they would coexist together.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Excellent, I was afraid it would not be an extender since that hadn't been mentioned anywhere and some had actually said it would NOT be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb