How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest issue I haven't isn't with the policies but with the length of time. 24 hours? That's a bit harsh.

I don't get the problem.

Microsoft have already said the callback will be tiny, and available via broadband or mobile.

24 hours makes reasonable sense. They've already said you won't require the disk for anything other that installation. Therefore it'll be really easy to buy a disk, install it, and sell it, all within an hour. I bet there will be plenty of gamers that can complete games within 24 hours. Make that timing any longer, and it just makes it easier and easier for people to abuse the system.

Personally, i LOVE the idea that i'll never need disks, other than for installation. Having young kids, within 2 seconds of them finding a disk, its scratched. No more worrying about that. No more worrying about finding that game that i havn't played in months.

The code thing also gives lots of options. Resale of digital downloads may be possible. I may be able to purchase games cheaper, buy opting for no resale option. Rentals should still be possible, by timing the code out after a period of time.

Make the smart glass app do the authorisation, that means WP, iOS & Android can all work perfectly, even with no console broadband. Sorted.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the problem.

Microsoft have already said the callback will be tiny, and available via broadband or mobile.

24 hours makes reasonable sense. They've already said you won't require the disk for anything other that installation. Therefore it'll be really easy to buy a disk, install it, and sell it, all within an hour. I bet there will be plenty of gamers that can complete games within 24 hours. Make that timing any longer, and it just makes it easier and easier for people to abuse the system.

I don't think there's much abuse happening in that scenario since there's little incentive to rush. Games get unauthorized from your account as soon as you sell them. Even if the time limit was 72 hours, few people would be in a rush to buy a game, install it and then try to burn through it in 3 days. Plus it's not really a profit situation for the gamer because the trade-in policy remains the same whether he trades it within two days or two weeks. Granted, resell value falls overtime but it doesn't plummet within 24 hours.

The code thing also gives lots of options. Resale of digital downloads may be possible. I may be able to purchase games cheaper, buy opting for no resale option. Rentals should still be possible, by timing the code out after a period of time.

Make the smart glass app do the authorisation, that means WP, iOS & Android can all work perfectly, even with no console broadband. Sorted.

I would like to see game rentals go digital. Let Gamefly have their own Xbox app and just install the game to the HDD. Set it to auto-delete after X amount of days.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you don't like the new policies, remember to let your voice be heard by contacting Microsoft directly through email, phone, or even Twitter.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The digital game age will come, sadly, eventually. Why pull this garbage now? With physical media still in play, leave it the hell alone. Anyone who thinks this isn't going to hurt XboxOne sales is fooling themselves.
Requiring an internet connection and putting rules on lending/trading/selling your games is absolutely ludicrous. MS needs to learn, sometimes it doesn't pay to be stubborn. This decision will guarantee an easy victory for Sony in the next Gen console war. Mark it down, if MS follows through, the Xbox One will struggles and lag far behind the PS4 from day one and will never recover.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The digital game age will come, sadly, eventually. Why pull this garbage now? With physical media still in play, leave it the hell alone. Anyone who thinks this isn't going to hurt XboxOne sales is fooling themselves.
Requiring an internet connection and putting rules on lending/trading/selling your games is absolutely ludicrous. MS needs to learn, sometimes it doesn't pay to be stubborn. This decision will guarantee an easy victory for Sony in the next Gen console war. Mark it down, if MS follows through, the Xbox One will struggles and lag far behind the PS4 from day one and will never recover.

This is your opinion. I personally have no problem with ANYTHING they are doing. In a year, it will all be irrelevant. If Xbox One doesn't work for you, that's your problem. Families will not be buying a PS4 for the living room. Families will be buying an Xbox One. That will make up for any lost sales to gamers.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This is your opinion. I personally have no problem with ANYTHING they are doing. In a year, it will all be irrelevant. If Xbox One doesn't work for you, that's your problem. Families will not be buying a PS4 for the living room. Families will be buying an Xbox One. That will make up for any lost sales to gamers.

We'll see. Its already happening though, people hearing about this are saying they're passing on the XboxOne now. Add this with charging to use any Live/internet service, and the truth is sometimes enough is enough. You're going to be surprised how many turn their backs on the XboxOne

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We'll see. Its already happening though, people hearing about this are saying they're passing on the XboxOne now. Add this with charging to use any Live/internet service, and the truth is sometimes enough is enough. You're going to be surprised how many turn their backs on the XboxOne

Don't see any of my friends turning it down... They all think its great.

Blockbuster and Game are touting record numbers of preorders for the device. Its always only the negative that's focused on though.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
what I don't get is people are saying that if Sony doesn't have restrictions on games, their sales will never take off. This seems like a bizarre statement to me. If more people buy a PS4 because of no restrictions, it seems game sales would take off. If they are implying that EA and other shysters like them will drop PS4 support, well then that is just anti-competitive, anti-consumer practices that will need to be highly scrutinized. I thought EA dropping Wii U was just a factor of poor sales, but if it is because they don't support DRM, well then FU EA!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

And you're neglecting to mention how many people will be buying one because of how much more it can do than game. I don't think you understand how many people are interested in the console.

All the people that bought Xbox 360's and PS3's just for Netflix, Hulu, a blueray player, etc. The people that bought consoles and don't game. Which console do you think they are going to buy?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
what I don't get is people are saying that if Sony doesn't have restrictions on games, their sales will never take off. This seems like a bizarre statement to me. If more people buy a PS4 because of no restrictions, it seems game sales would take off. If they are implying that EA and other shysters like them will drop PS4 support, well then that is just anti-competitive, anti-consumer practices that will need to be highly scrutinized. I thought EA dropping Wii U was just a factor of poor sales, but if it is because they don't support DRM, well then FU EA!

That's not anticompetitive at all. You are basically saying any game maker that makes a console exclusive is anticompetitive...

They are a company that cares about the money they make. Selling used games is very similar to software piracy in terms of the negative affects it has on developers. People are getting and using their product without giving them money. In a year or two, this argument will be irrelevant because it will be normal and something every publisher does.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's not anticompetitive at all. You are basically saying any game maker that makes a console exclusive is anticompetitive...

They are a company that cares about the money they make. Selling used games is very similar to software piracy in terms of the negative affects it has on developers. People are getting and using their product without giving them money. In a year or two, this argument will be irrelevant because it will be normal and something every publisher does.

Technically the argument is already irrelevant as games on PC have been using this for years.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
And you're neglecting to mention how many people will be buying one because of how much more it can do than game. I don't think you understand how many people are interested in the console.

All the people that bought Xbox 360's and PS3's just for Netflix, Hulu, a blueray player, etc. The people that bought consoles and don't game. Which console do you think they are going to buy?

While this is true, dont think Sony isn't going to point out how they don't charge you to use Netflix or Hulu, which you already pay for. MS does, which is bs. I already said I won't be getting a PS4, but I'm starting to rethink getting an XboxOne. With recent revelations on top of a fee to use Live, its a huge turn off and screw job.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

This console is supposed to last 10 yrs.

I can see Sony leading for the first 3 yrs because people don't want change. But the ONE is more publisher friendly, so the games will likely go there first.

In time, people will adapt and will go where the games are.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Yes, some finicky gamers will pass on the ONE. But they are a small percentage of the market.

The additional features on the ONE broaden its appeal.

I often see people complain about how it's not focused on hardcore gamers. People will mock things like fantasy football and basketball.

I guarantee you that there are A TON more people who enjoy fantasy football/basketball/baseball than there are "hardcore" gamers.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, some finicky gamers will pass on the ONE. But they are a small percentage of the market.

The additional features on the ONE broaden its appeal.

I often see people complain about how it's not focused on hardcore gamers. People will mock things like fantasy football and basketball.

I guarantee you that there are A TON more people who enjoy fantasy football/basketball/baseball than there are "hardcore" gamers.

I can guarantee you that throughout my life I've had far more people ask me who I'm picking for my bracket than what game am I playing.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This effects me a in a few ways.... As I said on the front page...

Internet: I have a good internet connection but, in my area bad storms or heavy snow I lose power and after about 8-10 hours after that, I lose internet (I have a home generator becuse of power outages) this happens about 2-3 times a year for sometimes up to 4-5 days with out power. I use my 360 at least 4-5 times week now. With the way Xbox One is, when I lose power, I will not be able to play any games I own the disk on (single player games, not on line). I will have my xbox on line 99% of the time but, in those times with out power/internet, I cant play a game at all that I own the disc for, that is BIG PROBLEM for me, a huge problem.

Used games: Look I dont really sell too many games but, there is a lot of games that I would not play at the $60 retail price, never mind I cant afford to buy EVERY game for $60. So I shop on ebay and other places to find used games for a good deal. Normally a month old game, I get for $35-45, this allows me to buy more games that I enjoy, in the price range I feel they are worth. Microsoft is killing this option. Gamestop(game rip off) who charges $55 for a month old USED game is not something I even look at. I understand the digital thing, if you buy it online, you cant transfer that game. If I own the physcal disc, I should be able to buy a used one or sell a used one like we are now.

If the prices drop one every game to say, $45 after 30 days after release, then problem resolved(if I wait, I can get the game cheaper) but, to still charge $60 for a game that is 60-90 days old, is crazy if they are going this path. Greed will take over, and you'll never see that. If they are taking rights from us on our OWNED MEDIA, they should give something in return, but, they are not and will never.

I will buy it, as it's all about the games for me but, I will play less games(like I said, if I buy a used version of a game and the next one comes out that I really must have I will buyt it full retail but, that limits it) and when my connection drops, Microsoft will hear about it.

And Xbox live is not 100% all the time, 4 times this year, Xbox live went down and in turn, I got a free month of xbox live for each time. We'll see how dependable it is when it is updated but, it's not 100% anyway. So I can't play games when xbox live is down ??? WTF ???

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This effects me a in a few ways.... As I said on the front page...

Internet: I have a good internet connection but, in my area bad storms or heavy snow I lose power and after about 8-10 hours after that, I lose internet (I have a home generator becuse of power outages) this happens about 2-3 times a year for sometimes up to 4-5 days with out power. I use my 360 at least 4-5 times week now. With the way Xbox One is, when I lose power, I will not be able to play any games I own the disk on (single player games, not on line). I will have my xbox on line 99% of the time but, in those times with out power/internet, I cant play a game at all that I own the disc for, that is BIG PROBLEM for me, a huge problem.

You could also tether your Xbox to your smartphone just to reauthorize your account and then turn off internet sharing afterwards so you don't burn through your data. It's not ideal but at least that's a workaround. Microsoft definitely needs to extend the time. 24 hours just isn't enough.

Used games:
Look I dont really sell too many games but, there is a lot of games that I would not play at the $60 retail price, never mind I cant afford to buy EVERY game for $60. So I shop on ebay and other places to find used games for a good deal. Normally a month old game, I get for $35-45, this allows me to buy more games that I enjoy, in the price range I feel they are worth. Microsoft is killing this option.

I'm very interested to hear how Microsoft handles eBay and other online resellers. I'm hoping that, like retailers, online sellers can also join the Microsoft trade-in system.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I could see the way they 'get around' the 24 hour thing is something someone mentioned in another thread. In those cases where you need to verify your connection, you could use your phone to scan a code from your tv to remotely verify your console/game.

I'm not sure how that could be done to circumvent potential pirates and such, but seems like it would be a reasonable thing to do in order to get around extended internet outages (I just had one last week that was for 4 days) and those without broadband access...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You could also tether your Xbox to your smartphone just to reauthorize your account and then turn off internet sharing afterwards so you don't burn through your data. It's not ideal but at least that's a workaround. Microsoft definitely needs to extend the time. 24 hours just isn't enough.

I dont pay for tethering becuase it will cost extra on my monthly bill, that is not an option for me for the need during that one week. I have Unlimited data and not willing to lose it..

Selling used games is very similar to software piracy in terms of the negative affects it has on developers.

I'm sorry I do not agree with you here at all. If peole buy a used game it's because they would never be willing to pay the full price for the game. Normally a game is re-sold 2-3 times, if that, I buy used and keep them, I never resel them.

Drop the price to what a game is worth on this aspect say 30 days after release to say $30-45 then the used market would not have a need, as people buy used games are because of cost, if the cost dropped, no one would by used games any more.

If a game is pirated the devs get NO MONEY, someone at one time(rental place or out of pocket) paid for the game and 1,000's of people downloaded the game. This I do see a problem with and why they want to fight it. I have no issue with this

But Joe Six-pack wants to sell is game because he does not like it and he has the acutal disk, to someone he does not know, to get most of his money back (that leaves gamestop out) you can't do. That is the way it always has worked on Consoles and it should keep that way. And that I DO have a problem with

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK why they didn't just make it to where buying a game on disc requires the disk to be in the console to authorize it. You wouldn't need an internet connection and the game could still be run off the harddrive. Disc would just be for authentication.

On another note: will downloading the game be cheaper than buying the disc?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)